News
TN High Court judge to learn about same sex relationships before delivering verdict
BY S VENKAT NARAYAN,
Our Special Correspondent
NEW DELHI:
In an unprecedented move, a judge of the Madras High Court decided last Wednesday to undergo psychoeducation before delivering a judgment on same sex relationships.
Justice N. Anand Venkatesh feels words on the subject should come from his heart and not from his head. He has requested a psychologist to give him an appointment so that the professional can help him understand such relationships and pave the way for “his evolution”.
Passing interim orders on a petition filed by two young women with same sex orientation, the judge said on Wednesday: “Insofar as the request made by the learned counsel S. Manuraj, for the petitioners, to set out guidelines in cases of this nature is concerned, I want to give myself some more time to churn. Ultimately, in this case, the words must come from my heart and not from my head, and the same will not be possible if I am not fully woke on this aspect.”
Hence, he wanted to subject himself to psychoeducation with Vidya Dinakaran, a psychologist and an expert working with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community. “If I write an order after undergoing psychoeducation, I trust that the words will fall from my heart.”
Fearing threats to their lives from their parents, the two women graduates from Madurai Kamaraj University had approached the High Court last month. They had fled home, taken refuge at the International Foundation for Crime Prevention and Victim Care, a non-governmental organisation in Chennai, and are looking for jobs.
After holding in-camera proceedings with them and their parents, the judge found that they all required counselling by a psychologist and accordingly asked them to attend a session with Ms. Dinakaran.
After the first round of counselling, the psychologist submitted a report on Wednesday. In it, she said the petitioners perfectly understand the relationship between them, and have absolutely no confusion in their minds. They want to continue their education and work as well as stay in touch with their parents. However, the women fear that their parents may force them to get separated now, and are willing to wait until the latter could understand the relationship.
On the mental state of the parents, she opined that they were more concerned about the stigma attached to the relationship in society and the consequences that may ensue on their families. The parents are also concerned about the safety and security of their respective daughters.
The report said that the parents would rather prefer their daughters to live a life of celibacy, which according to them will be more dignified than having a partner of the same sex. They also have serious confusions regarding the lineage, adoption and other normal consequences that follow a heterosexual relationship, and as to how the same will apply in a case of same sex relationship.
After taking the report on file, the judge said the parents cannot not be expected to change their notions overnight.
Therefore, he directed them to attend one more counselling session before the case could be heard next on June 7.
On March 31, Justice Venkatesh wrote that he was trying to break his own preconceived notions about same sex relationships and was in the process of evolving and sincerely attempting to understand the feelings of people involved in such relationships and also that of their parents to whom such relationships involving their children come as a rude shock.
Passing interim orders on a petition filed by the two young women with same sex orientation, the judge sent the petitioners and their parents for counselling to an expert working with Vidya Dinakaran, who works with the LGBT community and obtain a report.
He wrote: “I personally spent time doing research and collecting materials to arrive at a proper understanding of this issue. It would have been possible for me to pack my order with a lot of research material and get applauded by the outside world for rendering a scholarly order. However, there was a call from inside which kept reminding me that if I venture into such an exercise at this stage, it will only be hypocritical of me since the order will not reveal my true and honest feeling about this very important issue.”
“To be open, I am also trying to break my own preconceived notions about this issue. I am in the process of evolving, and sincerely attempting to understand the feelings of the petitioners and their parents. Thereafter, I shall proceed to write a detailed order on this issue. That is the reason why I am trying to develop this case brick by brick, and ultimately construct something purposeful on this issue,” the judge added.
Latest News
Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]
The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.
It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard
News
Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide
Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.
The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.
In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.
Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.
In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.
The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.
Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.
by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva
News
Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals
Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.
The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.
Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.
According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.
Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.
Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.
Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.
The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.
by Norman Palihawadane
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
-
Opinion2 days agoMurder of Ehelepola family, Bogambara Wewa and Sightings of Wangediya
