News
TN High Court judge to learn about same sex relationships before delivering verdict
BY S VENKAT NARAYAN,
Our Special Correspondent
NEW DELHI:
In an unprecedented move, a judge of the Madras High Court decided last Wednesday to undergo psychoeducation before delivering a judgment on same sex relationships.
Justice N. Anand Venkatesh feels words on the subject should come from his heart and not from his head. He has requested a psychologist to give him an appointment so that the professional can help him understand such relationships and pave the way for “his evolution”.
Passing interim orders on a petition filed by two young women with same sex orientation, the judge said on Wednesday: “Insofar as the request made by the learned counsel S. Manuraj, for the petitioners, to set out guidelines in cases of this nature is concerned, I want to give myself some more time to churn. Ultimately, in this case, the words must come from my heart and not from my head, and the same will not be possible if I am not fully woke on this aspect.”
Hence, he wanted to subject himself to psychoeducation with Vidya Dinakaran, a psychologist and an expert working with Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community. “If I write an order after undergoing psychoeducation, I trust that the words will fall from my heart.”
Fearing threats to their lives from their parents, the two women graduates from Madurai Kamaraj University had approached the High Court last month. They had fled home, taken refuge at the International Foundation for Crime Prevention and Victim Care, a non-governmental organisation in Chennai, and are looking for jobs.
After holding in-camera proceedings with them and their parents, the judge found that they all required counselling by a psychologist and accordingly asked them to attend a session with Ms. Dinakaran.
After the first round of counselling, the psychologist submitted a report on Wednesday. In it, she said the petitioners perfectly understand the relationship between them, and have absolutely no confusion in their minds. They want to continue their education and work as well as stay in touch with their parents. However, the women fear that their parents may force them to get separated now, and are willing to wait until the latter could understand the relationship.
On the mental state of the parents, she opined that they were more concerned about the stigma attached to the relationship in society and the consequences that may ensue on their families. The parents are also concerned about the safety and security of their respective daughters.
The report said that the parents would rather prefer their daughters to live a life of celibacy, which according to them will be more dignified than having a partner of the same sex. They also have serious confusions regarding the lineage, adoption and other normal consequences that follow a heterosexual relationship, and as to how the same will apply in a case of same sex relationship.
After taking the report on file, the judge said the parents cannot not be expected to change their notions overnight.
Therefore, he directed them to attend one more counselling session before the case could be heard next on June 7.
On March 31, Justice Venkatesh wrote that he was trying to break his own preconceived notions about same sex relationships and was in the process of evolving and sincerely attempting to understand the feelings of people involved in such relationships and also that of their parents to whom such relationships involving their children come as a rude shock.
Passing interim orders on a petition filed by the two young women with same sex orientation, the judge sent the petitioners and their parents for counselling to an expert working with Vidya Dinakaran, who works with the LGBT community and obtain a report.
He wrote: “I personally spent time doing research and collecting materials to arrive at a proper understanding of this issue. It would have been possible for me to pack my order with a lot of research material and get applauded by the outside world for rendering a scholarly order. However, there was a call from inside which kept reminding me that if I venture into such an exercise at this stage, it will only be hypocritical of me since the order will not reveal my true and honest feeling about this very important issue.”
“To be open, I am also trying to break my own preconceived notions about this issue. I am in the process of evolving, and sincerely attempting to understand the feelings of the petitioners and their parents. Thereafter, I shall proceed to write a detailed order on this issue. That is the reason why I am trying to develop this case brick by brick, and ultimately construct something purposeful on this issue,” the judge added.
Latest News
Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years
A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.
Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.
It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.
Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.
His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.
Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.
(PMD)
News
ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.
Latest News
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).
The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.
During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News7 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
