News
Land taken over for tsunami displaced: Court grants alternative land to dual citizen, censures top official
The Court of Appeal recently ordered that Palippody Jeyatheeswaran of Nochchimunai, Batticaloa, currently living at Lunchwisenstrasse 30, 8051 Zurich, Switzerland, be granted suitable alternative land, of equal value, in lieu of “Wembabhumi” situated at Periyanilawanai Grama Niladhari Division, in Karaiwapattu, in the Kalmunai Divisional Secretariat area, taken over in 2005 to build a housing complex for tsunami displaced.
The Petitioner moving the court in terms of Article 140 of the Constitution stated that the Kalmunai Divisional Secretariat took over the land, that was released to him in March 1990, through a permit, even without consulting him. According to the petitioner, the extent of the land, taken arbitrarily over, is 1 acre, 1rood and 20 perches.
The bench consisted of Mayadunne Corea, J and Mahen Gopallawa, J. The respondents were Divisional Secretary, Divisional Secretariat, Manmunai North, Batticaloa (First respondent namely Vanniyasingam Vasuthevan succeeded by Mrs. Shivapiriya Vilvaratnam), Provincial Land Commissioner (Second respondent namely Mrs. H.D. Asinsala Seneviratne, D.M.R.C. Dasanayake and Mrs. Valarmathy Ravindran) and Land Commissioner General (Third respondent namely G.D. Keerthi Gamage, K.D. Bandula and Ranaweera Arachchilage Chandana Saman Ranaweera Arachchi).
The court issued the directive after having quashed decisions taken at a meeting called by the Secretary to the Home Affairs Ministry on July 14, 2021, to grant 20 perches to a close relative of the petitioner, nominated by the latter. This decision has been taken against the backdrop of the petitioner being a Swiss national but since then he has obtained dual citizenship.
Uditha Egalahewa, P.C., with Vishwa Vimukthi, represented the petitioner, whereas State Counsel Shemanthi Dunuwille appeared for the respondents.
The court has declared that the decision to grant 20 perches to a close relative of the petitioner is bad in law. The court held that the conduct of the first respondent, in respect of this particular case, couldn’t be justified, and respondents should address the issue according to the law. In the court ruling, the instances the first respondent disregarded instructions issued by the second respondent to grant one acre of land to the petitioner but offered 20 perches.
The petitioner’s father, who served as a Grama Seveka, had been killed by the LTTE in the East and the petitioner shot and wounded by the LTTE in Colombo in 2005 and migrated in Switzerland in September same year.
The court pointed out that in spite of many meetings and decisions taken over the years, the respondents failed to provide alternative land.
However, the court pointed out in the absence of the original permit issued to the petitioner, it is not clear whether the said permit was an annual permit that had to be renewed yearly, or a long-term permit. Therefore, the court is not in a position to determine whether the petitioner was entitled in law to an alternate land. But, in terms of documents that had been submitted to court, it appears that all the state officers, including the Land Commissioner General, had come to a conclusion and a decision was made to the effect that the Petitioner should be given an alternate land. Further, at the hearing, all Counsel conceded that the petitioner should be given an alternate land. Hence, court would not dwell on the said question.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
News
Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands
An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.
Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.
Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.
Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.
Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)
News
Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism
In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.
The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.
Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.
News
Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected
Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.
DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..
One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.
The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.
The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.
Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.
-
News6 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
Features2 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News3 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
News2 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
Opinion5 days agoElectricity tariffs have skyrocketed: Can further increases be prevented?
-
Features4 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News2 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
