News
NPP jolted by LG member’s arrest on narcotics charges
…. her husband and son, too, apprehended
People’s Action for Free and Fair Election (PAFFREL) yesterday (6) said that the arrest of NPP member of Peliyagoda Urban Council Disna Niranjala for dealing in heroin should prompt the ruling party to initiate a thorough internal inquiry.
Having accused other political parties of being involved in the narcotics trade, the NPP couldn’t turn a blind eye to the their Urban Councillor’s arrest, PAFFREL Chief Rohana Hettiarachchci said.
The civil society activist pointed out that the Anuradhapura police arrested the local government politician and her husband, 54, who is the principal of Katiyawe school in the Eppawela area, and their son.
The school principal has been remanded till Nov 12 by the Thambuttegama Magistrate Gayathri Hettiarachchi yesterday pending further investigations.
The police identified Niranjala as a relative of gangster and notorious narcotics dealer Kosgoda Sujee.
Over a kilo of heroin with a street value of well over 20 mn rupees had been recovered.
The issue at hand is whether the principal used the school as a heroin distribution point, Hettiarachchi said, adding that there hadn’t been a previous instance of a Principal being arrested on dealing in narcotics. Hettiarachchi also noted that President Anura Kumara Dissanayake recently launched a high-profile campaign against the drugs trade at an event held at the Sugathadasa International Stadium where he warned those who engaged in narcotics to give up or face the consequences.
The initial breakthrough had been made by the Ippologama police who arrested a youth carrying a small quantity of heroin. The suspect held at the police station had told a friend who visited him to remove a parcel of heroin from his home and bury it near a tank close to his home. Subsequently, the suspect had told his father to retrive that parcel as he feared his friend may steal it and to hide behind their home.
According to police, the suspect’s father had done so but police apprehended the suspect’s friend and he revealed how he retrieved the parcel and handed it back to the father who happened to be a principal.
Hettiarachchi said that over a decade ago the March 12 Movement campaigned to discourage political parties from giving nominations to those involved in nefarious activities. “We were not only concerned about narcotics but felt the urgent need to have political parties implement an action plan to clean up the setup. Unfortunately, no political party took our suggestion seriously,” Hettiarachchi said.
Hettiarachchi pointed out that both in and outside parliament the circumstances of Lasantha Wickremesekera, the murdered Chairman of Weligama Pradeshiya sabha secured SJB nomination at the last local government poll received media attention. Warushavithana Mirantha who was killed this week at Ambalangoda was later identified as a defeated SJB candidate, hence the need to introduce a screening process not only for those seeking entry into politics but current people’s representatives.
By Shamindra Ferdinando ✍️
News
Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands
An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.
Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.
Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.
Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.
Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)
News
Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism
In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.
The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.
Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.
News
Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected
Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.
DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..
One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.
The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.
The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.
Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.
-
News6 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
Features2 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News3 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
News2 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
Opinion5 days agoElectricity tariffs have skyrocketed: Can further increases be prevented?
-
Features4 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News2 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
