Connect with us

News

Catholics oppose sand mining, wind power mill in Mannar

Published

on

People join a sit-in protest in Mannar, opposing sand mining and windmill projects. (Photo: UCA News)

They allege sand mining and windmill farms pose risks to the wetland, which is home to a bird sanctuary

(UCAN)People in the Catholic-majority Mannar district continue protests against ilmenite mining and wind power farms, saying these projects threaten their survival and livelihoods.The protesters, backed by local youth and civil society organizations, have been participating in street protests and rallies denouncing the projects for about ten days in Mannar town.

On Aug. 11, tension erupted after protesters blocked the entry of vehicles transporting heavy machinery and equipment, such as turbine blades for the windmill farm, into the island.

A similar incident occurred in the previous week when villagers stopped a vehicle convoy carrying equipment, forcing police and members of the Special Task Force (STF) to intervene and clear the road at midnight.

Protesters allege that proposed sand mining and windmill farms pose risks to the island’s ecology and cultural heritage.

“Not many people, including locals, are aware of the potential dangers the district is facing and the challenges it [the projects] will bring to the livelihoods of thousands of people who depend on its fragile ecosystems,” young activist Selvaratnam Diluxan told UCA News on Aug. 12.

Young men like Diluxan have been at the forefront of opposition to sand mining and windmill farms, alleging that such activities endanger coastal protection, freshwater aquifers, and marine biodiversity.

“Just because these are named as ‘renewable energy’ projects and promise job opportunities for local youths, we cannot accept them, considering the natural landscape of our island,” he stressed.

Located over a land area of 3,952.1 square kilometers, Mannar is known to be a ‘deep river’ in historical records. Most of the 90,000 residents in the district either depend on fishing or agriculture.

Besides being a wetland region, Mannar is also home to the Vankalai Bird Sanctuary, situated on the migratory path of birds in South Asia.

The Vankalai Sanctuary Wetland was listed as a protected wetland under the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands in July 2010.

After protests erupted, a signature campaign was launched demanding that President Anura Kumara Dissanayake revoke all existing permits and approvals related to ilmenite sand mining and declare Mannar Island as a protected coastal ecological zone.

Local community will not allow such projects at the expense of their livelihood and survival in their ancestral land, said Father S. Marcus Adigalar, president of the Mannar Citizens Committee.

“Following the implementation of a windmill project carried out by Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) in the past, we are already witnessing the environmental impact of it,” the priest said.

He claimed there were increasing deaths of birds, while the noise and vibrations also had consequences for fishing.

“This cannot be allowed,” Adigalar told UCA News.

He further pointed out that the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) reports for the proposed projects were not made public.

Last week, all ethnic Tamil parliamentarians from the Mannar and Vanni districts wrote a letter to Dissanayake, seeking an immediate halt to the projects.

Kandasamy Ragulan, a youth activist, said the protest has garnered support from villagers, civil society, and clergy.

“We cannot let these projects go ahead as they pose a threat to our future,” he told UCA News.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Landslide Early Warnings issued to the districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura

Published

on

By

The National Building Research Organisation [NBRO] has issued landslide early warnings to the Districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura valid from 09:00 hrs on 23.05.2026 to 09:00 hrs on 24.05.2026

Accordingly,
LEVEL III [RED] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Deraniyagala, Ruwanwella and Dehiowita in the Kegalle district and Ratnapura, Ayagama, Kuruwita and Eheliyagoda in the Ratnapura district.

LEVEL II [AMBER] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Seethawaka and Padukka in the Colombo district, Attanagalla in the Gampaha district, Palindanuwara, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala and Horana in the Kalutara district, Yatiyanthota in the Kegalle district and Pelmadulla, Kiriella, Kalawana, Nivithigala and Elapatha in the Ratnapura district.

LEVEL I [YELLOW] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Divulapitiya and Mirigama in the Gampaha district, Mathugama and Agalawatta in the Kalutara district, Bulathkohupitiya in the Kegalle district, and Ambagamuwa in the Nuwara Eliya district.

,

.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Most people seeking green cards must now apply from outside US

Published

on

By

The US has announced a new policy that means most immigrants seeking a green card will have to leave the country and apply at an embassy or consulate abroad.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said on Friday that people seeking a change in status must do so through consular processing outside of the country “except in extraordinary circumstances”.

The move – a part of the Trump administration’s effort to curtail illegal immigration – closes a loophole that had allowed visa holders and visitors to apply for a green card while still in the US.

Critics of the policy say the longstanding system allowed families to stay together during the lengthy application process.

The new method could also make it difficult or impossible for some immigrants who leave the country in hopes of gaining a green card to return.

The USCIS policy memo states that people such as students, temporary workers or people on tourist visas need to go through the Department of State from outside of the US.

“When aliens apply from their home country, it reduces the need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the US illegally after being denied residency,” USCIS said, making the system “fairer and more efficient”.

On X, the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees USCIS, said: “The era of abusing our nation’s immigration system is over.”

“We’re returning to the original intent of the law to ensure aliens navigate our nation’s immigration system properly,” USCIS Spokesman Zach Kahler said.

“From now on, an alien who is in the US temporarily and wants a green card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances,” he continued.

Kahler said the policy allows the immigration system “to function as the law intended instead of incentivising loopholes” and that visits “should not function as the first step in the green gard process”.

It is unclear whether pending green card applications will be affected.

A spokesperson for the USCIS told the BBC that as the policy is rolled out, “people who present applications that provide an economic benefit or otherwise are in the national interest will likely be able to continue on their current path”.

“Others may be asked to apply abroad depending on individualised circumstances,” it said.

Being a green card holder, or lawful permanent resident, allows a person to live and work permanently in the US. Obtaining one is a multi-step process that can take months to several years.

There are currently more than a million legal immigrants waiting for approval on their adjustment of status green card applications, according to the Cato Institute’s director of immigration studies.

Kahler argued that following the law allows the majority of cases to be handled by the US State Department at consular offices abroad and frees up USCIS resources to focus on processing other cases that fall under its purview – such as visas for victims of violent crime and human trafficking, naturalisation applications, and other priorities.

The move is consistent with longstanding immigration law and immigration court decisions, the agency said. Immigration officers are being directed to “consider all relevant factors and information on a case-by-case basis when determining whether an alien warrants this extraordinary form of relief”.

Michael Valverde, who was a senior official at USCIS under both Republican and Democratic administrations until his departure last year, said to the BBC’s US media partner CBS that Friday’s announcement would “disrupt the plans of hundreds of thousands of families and employers annually”.

“This is a largely unprecedented move that will limit lawful immigration to the US greatly,” Valverde said. “People who followed the rules faithfully now face tremendous uncertainty.”

The Trump administration has instated bans or restrictions on citizens from nearly 40 countries.

Another policy from the administration this year has paused all visa issuances to immigrant visa applicants from 75 countries.

Overstaying a US visa can lead to deportation, ineligibility for future visas and re-entry bans lasting up to 10 years, according to the US State Department.

[BBC]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]

Published

on

By

The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.

It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas  pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard

Continue Reading

Trending