Connect with us

News

Zacky no more

Published

on

Today we with much regret bring to our readers the sad news of the demise of our long time colleague Zacky Jabbar (60). He died at home at Kumaragewatte, Pelawatte, where he had lived alone since the death of his mother. All that we have pieced together is that he last checked the Whats-app on the night of August 19, but since he lived a bohemian life like so many journalists, his body was discovered by his elder brother Zalman only on Wednesday.

It had not been unusual for Zacky to travel around, especially to places like the Maldives and be absent from office for days on end especially since he reached the retirement age of 55. But when he failed to turn up for some time we made discreet inquiries from his acquaintances and colleagues. We did not want it to be a megaphone search as Zacky guarded his private life. We finally managed to contact his brother Zalman, on Wednesday, to learn that even he and his sister, too, had been puzzled by Zacky’s absence from a family wedding last weekend.

Zacky entered the field of journalism in 1985 by joining the now defunct Sun newspaper after having worked at Browns. He joined The Island in the mid-80s and ever since had been a hard working member of our team. He specialised in covering the political round with very close contacts in the UNP and the previous government. He certainly was not a clock watcher; he was usually one of the last to leave office on any given working day.

Kaduwela Acting Magistrate ordered Zacky’s body to be released to Zalman for burial yesterday at the Muslim cemetery at Battaramulla. The magisterial order was given following the Judicial Medical Officer (JMO) Dr. Sameera Gunaratne’s decision not to issue a death certificate as the cause of the death couldn’t be determined. The Magistrate said that the body had been found by Zalman on Sept 09 at Zacky’s home (No 1084/J Peiris Mawatha, Kumaragewatte)



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Sajith says ‘super’ PM has failed, SJB ready to take over govt.

Published

on

Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) leader Sajith Premadasa has said that his party is ready to accept the daunting challenge of re-building the country.

Premadasa, who is also the Opposition Leader, has said that the SJB is capable of restoring the economy to pre-2019 status within five years. The declaration was made at the Opposition Leader’s Office, Sir Marcus Fernando Mawatha, on Monday (27)

The SJB won 54 seats, including seven National List slots, at the last parliamentary election in August 2020.

Demanding that President Gotabaya Rajapaksa step down without further delay, the SJB leader launched a scathing attack on UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe. Those who claimed Wickremesinghe was a ‘super’ PM capable of performing economic miracles had to eat their own words, he added.

Having mismanaged the national economy thereby causing unprecedented disruption of fuel supplies, some ministers undertook foreign jaunts at the taxpayers’ expense to beg for fuel and gas. Alleging that the government was trying to deceive the masses struggling to cope up with a severe shortage of almost all essential items, the SJB leader reiterated his call for President Rajapaksa and Premier Wickremesinghe to step down.

Of the 54 member parliamentary group, three lawmakers, Harin Fernando, Manusha Nanayakkara and Nazeer Ahamed have accepted ministerial portfolios while another MP, Dayana Gamage switched her allegiance to the SLPP.

SJB leader Premadasa said that under his leadership there wouldn’t be space for waste, corruption and irregularities. The former UNP Deputy Leader offered to lead the country at an event held to announce the setting up of a unit to work out a national consensus regarding just solutions for political, economic and social issues, Matara District MP Buddhika Pathirana heads the unit. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

House sittings expected to be cancelled coming week

Published

on

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena yesterday (28) told The Island that the Parliament wouldn’t be able to meet next week due to the disruption of fuel supply.

Speaker Abeywardena said that he couldn’t visit his Matara home for want of fuel and many lawmakers experienced the same problem. The Matara District MP said that he had been compelled to stay at his Colombo residence.

Parliament was earlier scheduled to meet from Tuesday to Friday. Last Week the Opposition boycotted the Parliament. After the Opposition announced its decision, the Parliament announced sittings wouldn’t take place as members were unable to attend due to fuel shortage (NP)

Continue Reading

News

Lankan envoy to Lebanon calls on UNIFIL Head

Published

on

Ambassador Karunaratne with Major General Aroldo Lâzaro(pic courtesy Foreign Ministry)

Sri Lanka Ambassador to Lebanon Shani Calyaneratne Karunaratne paid a courtesy call on Head of Mission and Force Commander Major General Aroldo Lâzaro at the Head Quarters of the UNIFIL (United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon) at Blue Line, in Naquara, on June 21, 2022.

They discussed matters of mutual interest which included increasing Sri Lankan troops at UNIFIL. The Force Commander stated that the Sri Lankan troops are respected for their outstanding professionalism and thanked them for their contribution to the UNIFIL for the past 11 years. Contingent Commander of 13th Force Protection Company (UNIFIL) Sri Lanka Lieutenant Colonel Nayan Samarakoon, and Attaché (Administration) of the Embassy Priyantha Dasanayaka also participated in the meeting.

The Ambassador was accorded a Guard of Honour and an inspection of troops and armored vehicles. A k9 demonstration and a concert by the Sri Lanka Army Calypso band was also held.

Continue Reading

Trending