News
Whoever wins presidential poll should adhere to IMF remedies – Japanese Ambassador
… reveals fresh post-war reconciliation effort involving Switzerland and South Africa
Japanese Ambassador in Colombo Hideaki Mizukoshi has said Sri Lanka should remain steadfastly committed to the IMF-led recovery programme regardless of the outcome of the presidential election scheduled to be conducted later this year.
Ambassador Mizukoshi emphasised that the country couldn’t, under any circumstances, deviate from the IMF path as the agreement with the Washington-based lending agency remained the foundation for the entire debt-restructuring process.
The Japanese Ambassador cautioned political parties close on the heels of President Ranil Wickremesinghe depositing the candidate’s fee for the upcoming presidential election. UNP leader Wickremesinghe paid the deposit on Friday (26).
Addressing the members of the Lanka-Japan Friendship Society (LJFS) and invitees at the Sasakawa Memorial Hall Friday evening, Ambassador Mizukoshi said he expected Sri Lanka’s current economic policy and reforms in terms with the IMF agreement would be continued regardless of whoever became President after the next election. “We all should note that the commitment by the Sri Lankan government on the agreement with the IMF is the very basis of the agreement with the creditor countries on debt restructuring and the support of the Japanese government,” the Japanese envoy said.
Ambassador Mizukoshi took over the Japanese mission in Colombo in November 2021 during Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s tenure as the President.
The ambassador dealt with three issues namely post-Aragalaya economic relationship with focus on the debt restructuring process, his commitment to Sri Lanka’s post-war reconciliation efforts and the people-to-people relationship.
The speech delivered at the Sasakawa Memorial Hall was the first since Japan announced the resumption of disbursement of 11 Japanese-funded projects early last week. Japan suspended funding in May 2022 in the wake of Sri Lanka’s declaration of bankruptcy.
Ambassador Mizukoshi declared that the resumption of these projects would energize the Sri Lankan economy. Referring to the unprecedented political-economic-social crisis that compelled President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to resign in July 2022, Ambassador Mizukoshi attributed the speedy improvement of economic indicators largely to freeing of fiscal policy from what he called arbitrary maneuvering and close watch maintained by the international community.
Ambassador Mizukoshi named Central Bank Governor Dr. Nandalal Fernando and Treasury Secretary Mahinda Siriwardena as the architects of Sri Lanka’s recovery under President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s leadership. “I believe that they have implemented bold economic policies in the best interest of the country, gaining trust and respect by the international community.”
The Japanese ambassador discussed the difficulties encountered in the negotiating process especially against the backdrop of both India and China not being members of the Paris club. In the case of Sri Lanka, the number 1 creditor was China, Number 2 was Japan and number 3 was India. Neither China nor India was a member of the Paris Club, the envoy said.
Ambassador Mizukoshi acknowledged the difficulties caused to the people by the current economic policy. The ambassador made reference to the increase in Value Added Tax (VAT) and cut down on subsidies on various commodities in line with the overall post-Aragalaya economic strategy.
Recalling the much needed assistance provided by Japan during this period, Ambassador Mizukoshi disclosed their emergency humanitarian assistance amounted to 100 million US dollars.
The top diplomat warned that there were many challenges ahead as Sri Lanka was at the beginning of a difficult recovery process. Highlighting recovery made by India and South Korea, the Ambassador stressed the importance of Sri Lanka following a market-oriented economy. “So, the debt crisis here can also be a blessing in disguise, and the reform programmes of the IMF will be a silver lining if Sri Lanka navigates its economy in the right direction.”
The Japanese envoy explained the daunting task in attracting Japanese investment unless Sri Lanka achieved what he called transparency of administrative procedures. Ambassador Mizukoshi stressed the responsibility on the part of the government to tackle corruption and administrative delays as well as inefficiency.
“On this point, the IMF has published the IMF Governance Diagnostic Report, a comprehensive assessment of corruption vulnerabilities. We are very much interested in supporting Sri Lanka in correcting these problems because we think they were the root causes of the collapse of the Sri Lankan economy.”
Declaring that Sri Lanka had lost appeal to Japanese investors, Ambassador Mizukoshi said: “The Japanese investors will come to Sri Lanka not when they are asked to come, but when they are convinced that Sri Lanka is a trustworthy country to do business with.”
Commenting on the eradication of the LTTE through military means, Ambassador Mizukoshi expressed concern about the continuing complaints of being discriminated against and left out of economic development in the Northern and Eastern provinces.
Ambassador Mizukoshi disclosed the formation of a troika consisting of him and South African HC and Swiss Ambassador to promote and facilitate national reconciliation. “Each country has different reasons to engage in this exercise. South Africa, with its successful experience of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission to heal the ethnic animosities in the country, can present a good example to Sri Lanka; Switzerland, having a good network among Tamil communities and civil societies; and Japan, having good relationship both with the government and minorities and having the potential to bring in investment as dividend of peace.”
Ambassador Mizukoshi revealed that he advised their Geneva mission appropriately after having visited the Northern and eastern Provinces (SF)
News
CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail
Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.
The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.
The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”
Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.
At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.
The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.
However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.
A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.
The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.
Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.
By Ifham Nizam
News
PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.
According to the disclosure:
An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.
Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.
Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.
Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.
MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.
Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.
For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.
News
CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests
Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.
The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.
These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.
Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.
Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.
The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”
The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.
By AJA Abeynayake
-
Life style5 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business4 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features5 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features5 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features5 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News5 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News5 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
News3 days agoIMF MD here
