Connect with us

News

Turmeric importers plead with Minister to help get consignment held up at the port released

Published

on

By Jagath Kanaherarachchi

The Turmeric Importers’ Association of Sri Lanka had requested Plantations Minister Dr Ramesh Pathirana to assist them in having a consignment of one million kilos of turmeric released from the Colombo port, Chief Organiser of the association Sivalingam Elilventhan said.

He said that the turmeric was an ingredient used in Ayurveda medicine.

Elilventhan said that the stock of turmeric had been kept at the port since May and the importers had to pay for the delay in clearing it. “Demurrage is accumulating on a daily basis. Blocking the release of turmeric consignment has also resulted in a shortage of turmeric in the market. We hope the minister will bring this to the notice of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and help us.”

The shortage of turmeric had resulted in a price hike too, Elilvenathan said. The market price of a kilo of turmeric is Rs 750 but in the black market a kilo is sold at Rs 4,500. The blockade came following a decision by the government to stop importing turmeric. The consignment was on its way to the country when the decision was taken.

Elilvenathan said that they would promote local turmeric farmers by donating Rs. 100 million to cultivate turmeric here. Turmeric was a ten-month crop, he said. it took two months to process tumeric, he said, adding that currently the country was not growing turmeric on a commercial scale.

“The new crop season has just started in May and June and its harvest will come to the market in April next year. For every six kilos of raw turmeric we would get only one kilo of dry turmeric fingers. So, our farmers have to move for large scale cultivation to meet our annual demand which is around 5,500 metric tonnes. Last year, the country produced only 400 metric tonnes,” he added.

 

 



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Keheliya, seven others further remanded till 28th June

Published

on

By

The Maligakanda Magistrate’s Court today [14] ordered that former Minister of Health Keheliya Rambukwella and seven others be further remanded until June 28 by over the import of substandard human Immunoglobulin vials.

 

Continue Reading

News

President launches Public Learning and Education Platform for Sri Lankan Youth

Published

on

By

President Ranil Wickremesinghe officially launched www.publiclearn.lk a new education platform aimed at transforming Sri Lanka’s learning landscape at the Chamber Hall of the Presidential Secretariat, on Thursday [13]

Public Learn is a platform that guides users to free courses from the world’s top universities. .

Emphasizing the importance of adapting to a knowledge-intensive society, the President highlighted Sri Lanka’s strong educational results despite various systemic flaws. He noted that the new platform would enhance the education system’s effectiveness and stressed that Sri Lanka must swiftly advance in digitization to drive the new economic transformation.

President Wickremesinghe highlighted that the Public Learn platform serves as a crucial tool for enabling many Sri Lankans to advance personally and transform their nation. He reflected on Sri Lanka’s historical learning journey in three phases: first, during the era of Arahath Mahinda and the Pirivena system; second, with the introduction of the British public school system; and now, with the advent of digital education platforms like Public Learn, marking the third phase. He emphasized the importance of leveraging digital technology and knowledge to propel Sri Lanka forward in the digital economy, underscoring the need for continuous adaptation and innovation.

[PMD}

Continue Reading

News

Easter Sunday carnage: ‘Another probe nothing but an exercise in futility’

Published

on

Rev. Father Cyril Gamini

‘Implement PCoI recommendations at least now’

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The Catholic Church yesterday (14) reiterated its longstanding demand that the recommendations made by the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (P CoI) into 2019 Easter Sunday attacks be implemented.

Rev. Father Cyril Gamini Fernando said so when The Island sought the Catholic Church’s reaction to the appointment by President Ranil Wickremesinghe a new committee of inquiry to investigate the actions and responses of the country’s intelligence and security authorities following the intelligence warning received from India.

The committee is headed by retired Judge Ms. A. N. J. de Alwis. Rev. Fernando said that the government should implement the recommendations made by the PCoI headed by Supreme Court judge Janak de Silva. He said another inquiry would be nothing but an exercise in futility as the PCoI conducted an in-depth investigation into the Easter attacks, including the failure on the part of the intelligence apparatus to act on foreign intelligence as well neutralise the growing threat posed by extremist elements.

Rev. Fr. Fernando questioned the rationale behind re-examining the conduct of State Intelligence Service (SIS) and Chief of National Intelligence (CNI) as the Supreme Court in January last year ordered Senior DIG Nilantha Jayewardena and retired DIG Sisira Mendis, who headed the SIS and functioned as CNI, respectively, to pay compensation to the tune of Rs 75 mn and Rs 10 mn.

“What is there to investigate again?” Rev Fernando asked, urging the government to go through the PCoI recommendations in respect of politicians and security officials.

In addition to the PCoI report, the report of the Parliamentary Select Committee and a Special Investigation Committee of three members appointed by the then President Maithriapla Sirisena probed the Easter carnage, Rev Fernando said, adding that if those in parliament were still interested in justice and fair play should look into that matter.

Rev. Fernando urged the government to examine how successive leaders had responded to PCoI findings. When President Gotabaya Rajapaksa appointed a committee consisting of six MPs to look into the PCoI report and its findings soon after justice Janak de Silva handed over his report on Feb 1, 2021 it became clear that the powers that be would resort to old tactics. Nearly two years after President Rajapaksa’s ouster, the situation remained the same, Rev. Fernando said, adding that the Church wouldn’t give up its fight for justice.

Continue Reading

Trending