Connect with us

Sports

The Miracle Man

Published

on

Rex Clementine
at Pallekele

Just as you began to think that Josh Hazlewood is emerging as the  best fast bowler in the world and in fact Australia’s pace attack is infallible, Dasun Shanka told us to hold on. On Saturday night he reminded us that only the Pope is infallible. We had started marveling the Australian attack. There looked no weak link which Sri Lanka could attack. All bowlers were on the  money showcasing in the Colombo leg of the series why they are World Champions. But in Kandy, Dasun singlehandedly proved that there’s a chink in the Aussie armor and after all they are not invincible. He also proved that when the World Cup gets underway in October down under, Sri Lanka are not going to be also rans. Hazlewood had barely bowled a loose ball whole series. His first three overs on Saturday had gone for three runs, produced two wickets and a maiden. You must be insane to take on such credentials, reason would have suggested. But Dasun believed in something else – fortune favours the brave.  He hit two consecutive sixes and two back to back fours in that over before smartly picking up a single off the last ball to retain the strike. Sri Lanka needed 37 from two overs now.  The pressure was now on Jhye Richardson who bowled the penultimate over. He served a full toss first ball and Dasun needed no invitation. He was waiting to spoil Australia’s whitewash party. It was hit for a six. That over produced 18 runs and Sri Lanka needed 19 off the last over.

Kane Richardson served two consecutive wides to make things easier for Sri Lanka. Shanaka then with some clean hits sealed the game. It was barely believable. The Aussies went to sleep thinking it was a bad dream.

A man who passionately feels for his fans and players, Dasun has been rebuilding Sri Lanka’s white ball teams since last year when the bubble was breached and three prominent players were exiled. Not much had gone right for Sri Lanka since then. This year the team has lost nine T20s and won only two. That’s what everyone says, but what they don’t say is that all those games have been  against Australia, the World Champions or India, world’s number one ranked team. Dasun has put up a more or less settled bowling line-up. Most of them were raw when he took up the mantle under trying circumstances after an ugly pay dispute. He has developed them into match winning players.

The batting still doesn’t look convincing. There are too many players whose mindset are defensive and unsuitable for T20 cricket. The general consensus is that Kusal Mendis and Bhankua Rajapaksa are better off top of the order during Power Plays. But Dasun’s theory seems to be that once players have been identified, they need to be given the long rope. He needs to be given a fair hearing.



Latest News

Kapila Wijegunawardena to head SLC’s new selection committee

Published

on

By

The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports  has issued a statement approving  the members nominated for the new Selection Committee of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC).

The appointments have been made by the Sports Minister  in accordance with the powers vested under Section 39 (1) of the Sports Law No. 25 of 1973 and the Extraordinary Gazette Notification No. 2437/24 dated May 21, 2025.

The members of the new selection committee are:

Kapila Wijegunawardena – Chairman

Amal Silva – Member

Brendon Kuruppu – Member

Waruna Waragoda – Member

Vanessa De Silva – Member

Continue Reading

Latest News

Afghanistan refugee women’s team set for England tour under ECB initiative

Published

on

By

The visiting Afghanistan women's team will also attend the final of the Women's T20 World Cup
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will host an Afghanistan Refugee Women’s Team for a tour beginning on June 22. The programme will include T20 matches and high-performance training opportunities and will be delivered in partnership with the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and the MCC Foundation. The visiting players will also attend the final of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2026 at Lord’s, scheduled to be held on July 5.

The tour is significant because the visiting squad comprises former Afghanistan women cricketers who had to leave the country following the Taliban’s return to power in August 2021, after which women were effectively excluded from sport and public life. Many of the players eventually resettled in Australia, where they have continued to pursue cricket. An Afghanistan women’s team played against a ‘Cricket Without Borders XI’ at the Junction Oval in January 2025 ahead of the Women’s Ashes Test at the MCG, a game that was streamed by Cricket Australia.

The ECB said the tour aimed not only to provide competitive opportunities but also to reaffirm cricket’s commitment to inclusivity. “Since being displaced from Afghanistan in 2021, these players have shown extraordinary resilience in continuing their cricket journeys, in incredibly challenging circumstances,” Clare Connor, ECB Deputy CEO and Managing Director of England Women, said.

“We have worked with It’s Game On to build an itinerary and a set of experiences that we hope will be enjoyable and memorable. We are also delighted that the squad will attend the final of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2026.

“Cricket has a responsibility to stand for inclusion and opportunity, and we are proud to be hosting this tour and supporting the players in deepening their connection to the game.”

The relocation and continued support of the players has been facilitated in part by It’s Game On, a global sports consultancy co-founded by former Australia cricketer Mel Jones and Emma Staples, along with Dr Catherine Orway. Jones, in particular, played a pivotal role in helping the players relocate to Australia. Her organisation has worked with international sporting bodies on initiatives centred around equity and opportunities for displaced female athletes.

“This tour is a major step forward, but also highlights how much work remains,” Jones said.

“These players have shown extraordinary courage and commitment to the game, despite everything that has been taken from them. They deserve more opportunities like this; they deserve to be recognised as part of the global cricket community. Moments like this matter, but we need to see plans for sustained and meaningful action beyond this year.”

Continue Reading

Latest News

DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

Published

on

By

DR Congo have qualified for the Fifa World Cup for the first time since 1974 (BBC)

The Democratic Republic of Congo has cancelled its pre-World Cup training camp in the capital, Kinshasa, because of an Ebola outbreak in the east of the country.

Preparations have been moved to Belgium amid the upsurge, which is thought to have killed more than 130 people.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has called the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern”, but said it was not at pandemic level.

Jerry Kalemo, a spokesperson for the national football team, told international media that pre-tournament games in Europe would go ahead as planned, as the squad gears up for their first World Cup since 1974.

DR Congo are due to play friendly matches against Denmark, on 3 June in Belgium, and Chile, on 9 June in Spain, ahead of the World Cup finals.

A spokesperson for the DR Congo team told the Reuters news agency that the squad’s training camp had been cancelled due to travel restrictions imposed by the US, who are hosting the World Cup this summer, along with Mexico and Canada.

The US’ public health agency has banned entry from non-Americans who have been in the DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days, in response to the Ebola outbreak

All DR Congo’s players, as well as the team’s French coach, Sébastien Desabre, are based outside the central African country and will therefore not be affected by the restrictions now the training camp has been cancelled.

The high-profile event in Kinshasa was supposed to have been attended by fans, along with DR Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi, according to Reuters.

Kinshasa is roughly 1,800 km (1,120m) away from the eastern Ituri province, the epicentre of the Ebola outbreak. There have not yet been any reported cases in the city.

On Wednesday, the WHO said 139 people were thought to have died, out of 600 suspected cases. However, on the same day, Congolese health minister Samuel Roger Kamba told state broadcaster RTNC TV that authorities had registered 159 deaths.

(BBC Sports)

 

Continue Reading

Trending