Connect with us

News

Sri Lankan illegals given amnesty to leave Dubai and Emirates

Published

on

The Consulate General of Sri Lanka to Dubai and Northern Emirates has launched a special initiative to assist Sri Lankans to regularize their visa status or return home without facing penalties, the Mission said in a statement issued yesterday (22).

The Amnesty programme has been launched on Sept. 01. Accordingly the regularization of visa status would continue till Oc.t 31.

Statistics related to the Amnesty programme from 01 September to 17 October 2024 are as follows:

*  6776 individuals visited the Consulate General during regular consular hours and special amnesty consular hours seeking assistance/services

*  907 Passports applications have been accepted

*  761 Temporary Travel Documents (TTDs) have been issued to those who do not hold a valid Passport or lost Passport

*  835 air tickets have been purchased through special counters located at the Consulate General premises by SriLankan Airlines and Fits Air

The Consulate General has urged all Sri Lankans without a valid passport/lost passport to apply for a TTD on or before 25 October 2024, allocating sufficient time to process the request to obtain UAE outpass and return to Sri Lanka.

The Consulate General has reiterated its commitment to assist the Sri Lankan community during this amnesty period and encouraged all eligible individuals to make use of the available services to regularize their visa status or return home safely.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

News

Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected

Published

on

Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.

DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..

One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.

The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.

The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.

Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.

Continue Reading

Trending