News
SLPP accuses govt. of fascist power grab and recent killings
Questions how unprecedented port congestion vanished immediately after the release of 323 mystery containers without checks
Former MP and SLPP General Secretary, Sagara Kariyawasam, yesterday alleged that the recent murder of social media activist Dan Priyasad, who first exposed the massive “Container 323” fraud, signals a dangerous slide toward fascist rule under the current government.
Addressing the media at the SLPP headquarters at Battaramulla yesterday, Kariyawasam charged that Priyasad had been killed inside his own home, and that the people have serious suspicions that these killings are linked to an effort to establish authoritarian rule.
“We are witnessing a situation worse than the one during the LTTE era or even the JVP terror period of 1988–89. People are being gunned down in courts, in police custody, and even in their homes. The government seems to be trying to normalise extrajudicial killings,” he said.
Kariyawasam said that the government was attempting to deflect attention from these murders by labelling victims as drug dealers or underworld figures. “But the public must understand—governments are elected to uphold the rule of law, not to undermine it.”
He said that Dan Priyasad was the first to reveal the controversial “Container 323” scam, yet his murder has been conveniently swept under the rug. “This killing is not an isolated incident; it fits into a broader pattern. We strongly suspect it is a cornerstone of a fascist power grab,” he added.
Kariyawasam claimed that organised criminal activity is now more brazen than ever before, even in the post-war era. “We’re seeing shootings right in front of police stations and inside courthouses,” he said.
He warned that national security is being deliberately compromised to mask the government’s incompetence and to suppress political opposition. “This is a dangerous attempt to silence political rivals and dissident voices.”
Referring to the Container 323 scandal, Kariyawasam alleged it was one of the largest frauds in Sri Lankan history. “This occurred just months after this so-called ‘rescue government’ came to power. We are talking about 323 red-labelled containers being cleared from the port without any inspection.”
He noted that both the Ports Minister and the State Minister at the time had acknowledged awareness of the clearance, which casts doubt on their denials now. “How did such massive port congestion disappear as soon as this government took office? What was in those containers? No one knows. The government is yet to reveal the contents.”
Kariyawasam compared current events to the political accusations made during the Rajapaksa administration. “Back then, opposition figures like Anura Kumara Dissanayake would allege that every hotel, every piece of land, belonged to the Rajapaksas. But now it’s evident those claims lacked substance.”
He went on to accuse the Yahapalana government—of which Dissanayake was a part—of orchestrating the infamous Central Bank bond scam, calling it a key contributor to the country’s economic downfall.
“In contrast, today’s government has committed what could be the largest fraud in the country’s history,” he said, referring again to the Container 323 affair.
“We must ask: Is the JVP-led government now pursuing the very chaos that the LTTE once dreamed of? Is it deliberately weakening Sri Lanka to satisfy some ideological fantasy?”
Kariyawasam concluded with a stark warning: “The people didn’t give this government power to divide or destroy the country. The truth behind Container 323—who received them, what they contained—must be revealed immediately.”
By Anuradha Hiripitiyage
Latest News
Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]
The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.
It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard
News
Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide
Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.
The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.
In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.
Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.
In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.
The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.
Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.
by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva
News
Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals
Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.
The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.
Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.
According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.
Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.
Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.
Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.
The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.
by Norman Palihawadane
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
-
Opinion2 days agoMurder of Ehelepola family, Bogambara Wewa and Sightings of Wangediya
