Connect with us

News

SJB: Cop who failed to prevent bombings to be made IGP

Published

on

Easter Sunday attacks:

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) spokesperson Mujibur Rahuman, MP, yesterday (08) asked the Wickremesinghe-Rajapaksa government whether it intended to appoint Senior DIG Nilantha Jayawardena, one of those who had been accused of failing to thwart the 2019 Easter Sunday carnage, as the next Inspector General of Police (IGP).

MP Rahuman said that Jayawardena’s appointment as the IGP seemed certain as the latter had been appointed Senior DIG, Administration, the number two slot in the police hierarchy. Jayawardena received the new appointment following Senior DIG Nandana Munasinghe’s retirement.

Rahuman said that the government owed an explanation as to how Jayawardena, who served as the Chief of State Intelligence Service (SIS), moved up the ladder without facing an internal inquiry over the worst-ever single security lapse in the post-war era.

Near simultaneous suicide blasts that targeted three Churches and three hotels claimed the lives of 270 people. Over 500 received injuries. Some of them were maimed for life.

Responding to another query, MP Rahuman said that he had taken up the issue in parliament on January 05, but that had not received sufficient media coverage. “Justice Minister Dr. Wijeyadasa Rajapakske, PC, didn’t respond though he was in Parliament. Public Security Minister Tiran Alles was not present at that time.”

The incumbent police chief C.D. Wickramaratne received an acting appointment as the IGP in April 2019 close on the heels of the Easter Sunday attacks, and received confirmation in the post on Nov 25, 2020, just over a week after Gotabaya Rajapaksa won the presidential election.

MP Rahuman said that the perpetrators of the heinous crime, those who had facilitated the operation as well as neglected their duties and responsibilities should be punished regardless of their standing in the society.

The lawmaker challenged the government to prove that action had been taken in respect of serving law enforcement officers probed by a five-member Presidential Commission. “We are sure, the Yahapalana government which I served, the Gotabaya Rajapaksa administration and now the Wickremesinghe-Rajapaksa regime did absolutely nothing. In fact, the Presidential Commission of Inquiry into the Easter Sunday massacre has been discarded. That is the undeniable truth,” MP Rahuman said.MP Rahuman emphasized that none of the Commission’s major recommendations were implemented.

Supreme Court judge Janak de Silva headed the Commission. It included Court of Appeal judge Nishshanka Bandula Karunaratne, retired Supreme Court judges Nihal Sunil Rajapaksha and A. L. Bandula Kumara Atapattu and former Secretary to the Ministry of Justice W. M. M. R. Adhikari H. M. P. Buwaneka Herath functioned as the Secretary to the Commission.

MP Rahuman said that the Commission found fault with the then Secretary Defence Hemasiri Fernando, Chief of National Intelligence (CNI) retired DIG Sisira Mendis and SIS Chief Nilantha Jaywardena for the unprecedented security lapse in spite of having specific intelligence pertaining to the planned attacks. Well over three years after the suicide blasts, the devastating operation remained a mystery, MP Rahuman said, questioning the very basis of the Easter Sunday investigations.

The SJB official asked how the public could believe in police investigations when one of the chief culprits received the appointment as Senior DIG, Administration and was most likely to succeed the incumbent IGP.

Referring to the Easter Sunday Commission’s final report (Vol. 1 pages 287-288), MP Rahuman said that the Commission asserted that there is criminal liability on Jayawardena’s part. The Commission recommended that the Attorney General considers initiating criminal proceedings against the former SIS Chief under any suitable provision in the Penal Code, the MP said.

The lawmaker said that a similar recommendation was made in respect of the ex-head of CNI.The former AG Dappula de Livera, PC, and his successor Sanjiva Rajaratnam, PC, should be asked to explain whether they at least considered the Commission’s recommendations, MP Rahuman said. It would be pertinent to ask whether the AG’s Department acted on the Commission’s recommendations pertaining to its officers, the MP said.

Alleging that the successive governments had covered up the Easter Sunday plot, MP Rahuman pointed out that even Senior DIG Nandana Munasinghe whose retirement paved the way for Jayawardena to take up the No 02 slot was named by the Commission as one of the culprits. According to the Commission’s final report (Vol. 1, P 312), the Commission asserted that there is criminal liability on the then Senior DIG, Western Province Munasinghe’s part. The Commission recommended that criminal proceedings should be initiated against Munasinghe under any suitable provision in the Penal Code, MP Rahuman said.

The outspoken MP said that President Ranil Wickremesinghe promised to involve Scotland Yard in the Easter Sunday probe. “We would like to know the status of the government bid to secure Scotland Yard support or was it part of the overall cover-up?” the MP asked.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Advisory for Heavy Rain issued for the Central, Uva, Sabaragamuwa, Eastern and North-central provinces and in Galle and Matara districts

Published

on

By

Advisory for Heavy Rain Issued by the Natural Hazards Early Warning Centre  at 08.30 a.m. on 22 February 2026 valid for the period until 08.30 a.m. 23 February 2026

Due to the influence of the low level atmospheric disturbance in the vicinity of Sri Lanka, Heavy showers above 100 mm are likely at some places in Central, Uva, Sabaragamuwa, Eastern and North-central provinces and in Galle and Matara districts.

Therefore, general public is advised to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by heavy rain, strong winds and lightning during thundershowers

Continue Reading

News

Matara Festival for the Arts’ inaugurated by the Prime Minister

Published

on

By

The inaugural ceremony of the Matara Festival for the Arts, featuring a wide range of creations by local and international artists, was held on February 19 at the Old High Court premises of the  Matara Fort, under the patronage of Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya.

The festival, centred around the Old High Court premises in Matara and the auditorium of the Matara District Secretariat, will be open to the public from 20 to 23 of February. The festival will be featured by visual art exhibitions, short film screenings, Kala Pola, and a series of workshops conducted by experts.

The inaugural event was attended by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs, Ms. Saroja Paulraj, along with artists, guests, and a large number of schoolchildren.

(Prime Minister’s Media Division)

Continue Reading

News

Only single MP refuses salary as Parliament details pays and allowances

Published

on

SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilake is the only MP to forego salary and allowances, with all payments suspended following his written notification on August 20, 2025.

Only one Member of Parliament has chosen not to receive the salaries and allowances entitled to MPs, Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya revealed in Parliament last Thursday, shedding light on the financial perks enjoyed by members of the Tenth Parliament.

Speaking on Thursday (Feb. 19) in response to a question from SJB Badulla District MP Chaminda Wijesiri, the Prime Minister outlined the full range of pay and allowances provided to parliamentarians.

According to Dr. Amarasuriya, MPs receive a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000, and a driver’s allowance of Rs. 3,500—though MPs provided with a driver through the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs are not eligible for the driver’s allowance.

Additional benefits include a telephone allowance of Rs. 50,000, a transport allowance of Rs. 15,000, and an office allowance of Rs. 100,000. MPs are also paid a daily sitting allowance of Rs. 2,500 for attending parliamentary sessions, with an additional Rs. 2,500 per day for participation in parliamentary sittings and Rs. 2,500 per day as a committee allowance.

Committee meetings held on non-parliament sitting days also attract Rs. 2,500 per day.

Fuel allowances are provided based on the distance between an MP’s electoral district and Parliament. National List MPs are entitled to a monthly allocation equivalent to 419.76 litres of diesel at the market price on the first day of each month.

Despite the comprehensive benefits, only SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilaka has opted not to draw a salary or allowances. Dr. Amarasuriya said that in accordance with a written notification submitted by MP Wasalathilaka on August 20, 2025, payments have been suspended since that date.

The Prime Minister also confirmed that she, along with the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, committee chairs, ministers, deputy ministers, the Opposition Leader, and senior opposition whips, have all informed the Secretary-General of Parliament in writing that they will not claim the fuel allowance.

Challenging the ruling party’s voluntary pledge to forgo salaries, MP Wijesiri pointed out that all MPs except Wasalathilaka continue to receive their salaries and allowances. “On one hand you speak about the people’s mandate, which is good. But the mandate also included people who said they would voluntarily serve in this Parliament without salaries. Today we have been able to prove, Hon. Speaker, that except for one SJB MP, the other 224 Members are drawing parliamentary salaries,” he said.

The Prime Minister responded by defending the political culture and practice of allocating portions of MPs’ salaries to party funds. Referring to previous practices by the JVP and NPP, she said: “It is no secret to the country that the JVP has for a long time not personally taken MPs’ salaries or any allowances. I think the entire country knows that these go to a party fund. That is not new, nor is it something special to mention. The NPP operates in the same way. That too is not new; it is the culture of our political movement.”

When MP Wijesiri posed a supplementary question asking whether diverting salaries to party funds was an indirect method of taking care of MPs, Dr. Amarasuriya said: “There is no issue there. No question was raised; the Member made a statement. What we have seen throughout this week is an inability to understand our political culture and practice, and a clash with decisions taken by political movements that misused public funds. What is coming out is a certain mindset. That is why there is such an effort to find fault with the 159. None of these facts are new to people. He did not ask a question, so I have nothing to answer.”

The disclosures come days after the Government moved to abolish the parliamentary pension, a measure that has sparked renewed debate over MP compensation and the transparency of funds allocation.

Continue Reading

Trending