Connect with us

News

SJB claims entire world is waiting for Gotabaya to resign

Published

on

By Saman Indrajith

The SJB told Parliament on Tuesday the Ranil Wickremesinghe-Rajapaksa government would not receive any international assistance and there would be no solution to the present crisis.

Participating in a debate on the country’s current economic crisis, Chief Opposition Whip, Kandy District MP Lakshman Kiriella, said: “Lankan expatriates publish advertisements in newspapers in foreign countries calling on the international community not to grant aid to Sri Lanka as long as Gotabaya Rajapaksa remained the President.

“They say that the person who caused this crisis is still there and no solution will work out as long as he is the President. As long as he remains the President we will not receive international assistance. The international community is of the strong opinion that political reforms, demanded by the people should be brought in immediately. There should be either abolition of the Executive Presidency or to transfer its powers to Parliament. Without that we would not have any meaningful assistance to solve the crisis. We all have to suffer more. The President on Monday said that he wants to complete his term.

“The so-called government could not get any meaningful assistance from the international community. They asked help from the US and the European countries who in response said that they would seek to talk to the IMF to provide assistance to Sri Lanka. None is giving any serious commitment as long as the present ad-hoc system of governance prevails,” Kiriella said.

SJB Colombo District MP Mujibur Rahuman said that the international community was well aware that Parliament was playing the fool to help the Wickremesinghe-Rajapaksa government to prevail and not engaged in finding meaningful solutions for the people’s problems.

He said: “It is only the Prime Minister who is new there. Rest of the government has the same faces led by the same president. Except for the Prime Minister the rest are directly responsible for the present crisis. How can one expect solutions from them? People know that their opinion no longer is represented in this House. Most of those who caused the present crisis are still in this House. The new PM has to work with the same set. Whatever he says and does, the PM has to work with the Rajapaksas and their cronies. It is the very same people who put up their hands for Gotabaya Rajapaksa are now in the Cabinet. How can you expect foreign countries to give any assistance to the creators of this crisis? They will not do so just because the new PM is there.

“Entire world is calling on Gotabaya Rajapaksa to resign, but he says that he will not leave as a failed President and remain there to better his position. This country cannot be saved without him going home. All people in this country are calling for his resignation. If he is not going to listen to that, we people have nothing to do but pray God help us,” MP Rahuman said.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

News

Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected

Published

on

Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.

DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..

One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.

The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.

The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.

Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.

Continue Reading

Trending