News
Prez-PM battle no excuse for intelligence failure – GL
… ex-spy chief cited to prove futility of political partnerships
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Former State Intelligence Service (SIS) Chief Senior DIG Nilantha Jayawardena’s testimony before the Presidential Commission of Inquiry probing the Easter Sunday carnage had shown why the President and the Prime Minister should not be elected from two different parties, SLPP Chairman, Prof. G.L. Peiris, told The Island.
Prof. Peiris, who heads the SLPP National List said that former spy chief Jayawardena hadn’t shied away from pointing out how a dispute between President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe had placed the SIS in an extremely difficult situation at the onset of yahapalana administration in January 2015.
The former External Affairs Minister was commenting on Jayawardena’s testimony on Monday (27).
Jayawardena, who had been in the staff of Director General, Intelligence the late Cyril Herath succeeded Senior DIG C.N. Wakista.
Jayawardena, faulted for failure to thwart the Easter Sunday carnage by a Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) in Oct 2019 explained to PCoI how his outfit struggled to cope with UNP-SLFP coalition in the run-up to a spate of near simultaneous suicide bombings.
Prof. Peiris said that the breakaway UNP faction, the Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) readiness to serve a government under President Gotabaya Rajapaksa should be examined against the backdrop of Jayawardena’s assertion.
Having repeatedly warned of a dictatorship in case Gotabaya Rajapaksa won 2019 presidential election, its leader Sajith Premadasa on several occasions declared his readiness to serve as the Premier under President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Prof. Peiris said.
The UNP couldn’t work with Maithripala Sirisena, in spite of him being installed in the Office of the President by the UNP. A devastating political crisis destabilised the much touted yahapalana administration within weeks after 2015 presidential poll. It would be silly even to think about President Gotabaya Rajapaksa having to invite the SJB leader to form the next government, Prof. Peiris said, warning the UNP and SJB to expect debilitating defeat at the Aug 5 presidential poll.
Responding to another query, Prof. Peiris emphasized that whatever the political complications caused by what he called a disastrous arrangement at that time, the then SIS Chief couldn’t justify their failure to thwart the murderous Thowheed Jamaat project. There was no doubt the political leadership failed, the former minister said, adding that those who allowed the terror project to go ahead by negligence couldn’t solely blame it on the President-Premier battle.
Describing the beleaguered ex-spy chief as a yahapalana insider, Prof. Peiris alleged that those who had served the previous government sought to side step the key issue.
The issue at hand is why law enforcement authorities refrained from taking tangible measures in spite of having actionable intelligence from a friendly country, Prof. Peiris said.
At the time Thowheed Jamaat struck Commander-in-Chief President Sirisena, in addition to defence he also held the law and order portfolio.
Prof. Peiris said that political rifts couldn’t be allowed to jeopardize national security. Former SIS head’s testimony coupled with that of former presidential secretary P.B. Abeykoon’s exposure showed how the previous administration handled post-war national security, Prof. Peiris said.
Terrorists could have achieved their objectives without much difficulty due to ‘security services’ playing politics, he said.
Nilantha Jayawardena received appointment as SIS Chief in March 2015. At that time he was called by the then IGP N.K. Illankagoon to take over SIS, he was in charge of the Kankesanthurai Division in the Jaffna peninsula.
Prof. Peiris said that the disastrous handling of security/intelligence apparatus leading to the Easter Sunday carnage exposed those who were at the helm of defence apparatus.
Jayawardena received promotion to the rank of Senior DIG with effect from Feb 28, 2019, with the approval of the National Police Commission (NPC).
In the wake of the 2019 presidential election, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa for the first time in our history brought the SIS under a military officer. One-time Director of the Directorate of Military Intelligence (DMI) Brigadier Suresh Sallay was named new SIS Chief. Subsequently, he was promoted to the rank of Major General
President Rajapaksa also named retired Maj. Gen. Jagath Alwis as the Chief of National Intelligence (CNI) in place of retired DIG Sisira Mendis.
Intelligence veteran Maj. Gen. Kapila Hendavitharana served the CNI at the time of the 2015 government change. On the UNP’s request, President Sirisena appointed retired DIG Sisira Mendis as the CNI and Mendis was replaced soon after the Easter attacks.
Maj. Gen. Hendavitharana told The Island that national intelligence services should present the correct ‘intelligence picture’ to relevant political and military authorities. The assertion that political crisis caused difficulties to the SIS in sharing available information with government partners could not be acceptable. Hendavitharana played a crucial role in the overall intelligence effort against the LTTE during the war before being named the first CNI.
Hendavitharana said that the country paid a very heavy price for not taking threats posed by extremists/terrorists seriously.
Nearly 275 persons perished in multiple blasts, over 400 suffered injuries.
News
Matara Festival for the Arts’ inaugurated by the Prime Minister
The inaugural ceremony of the Matara Festival for the Arts, featuring a wide range of creations by local and international artists, was held on February 19 at the Old High Court premises of the Matara Fort, under the patronage of Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya.
The festival, centred around the Old High Court premises in Matara and the auditorium of the Matara District Secretariat, will be open to the public from 20 to 23 of February. The festival will be featured by visual art exhibitions, short film screenings, Kala Pola, and a series of workshops conducted by experts.
The inaugural event was attended by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs, Ms. Saroja Paulraj, along with artists, guests, and a large number of schoolchildren.
(Prime Minister’s Media Division)
News
Only single MP refuses salary as Parliament details pays and allowances
Only one Member of Parliament has chosen not to receive the salaries and allowances entitled to MPs, Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya revealed in Parliament last Thursday, shedding light on the financial perks enjoyed by members of the Tenth Parliament.
Speaking on Thursday (Feb. 19) in response to a question from SJB Badulla District MP Chaminda Wijesiri, the Prime Minister outlined the full range of pay and allowances provided to parliamentarians.
According to Dr. Amarasuriya, MPs receive a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000, and a driver’s allowance of Rs. 3,500—though MPs provided with a driver through the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs are not eligible for the driver’s allowance.
Additional benefits include a telephone allowance of Rs. 50,000, a transport allowance of Rs. 15,000, and an office allowance of Rs. 100,000. MPs are also paid a daily sitting allowance of Rs. 2,500 for attending parliamentary sessions, with an additional Rs. 2,500 per day for participation in parliamentary sittings and Rs. 2,500 per day as a committee allowance.
Committee meetings held on non-parliament sitting days also attract Rs. 2,500 per day.
Fuel allowances are provided based on the distance between an MP’s electoral district and Parliament. National List MPs are entitled to a monthly allocation equivalent to 419.76 litres of diesel at the market price on the first day of each month.
Despite the comprehensive benefits, only SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilaka has opted not to draw a salary or allowances. Dr. Amarasuriya said that in accordance with a written notification submitted by MP Wasalathilaka on August 20, 2025, payments have been suspended since that date.
The Prime Minister also confirmed that she, along with the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, committee chairs, ministers, deputy ministers, the Opposition Leader, and senior opposition whips, have all informed the Secretary-General of Parliament in writing that they will not claim the fuel allowance.
Challenging the ruling party’s voluntary pledge to forgo salaries, MP Wijesiri pointed out that all MPs except Wasalathilaka continue to receive their salaries and allowances. “On one hand you speak about the people’s mandate, which is good. But the mandate also included people who said they would voluntarily serve in this Parliament without salaries. Today we have been able to prove, Hon. Speaker, that except for one SJB MP, the other 224 Members are drawing parliamentary salaries,” he said.
The Prime Minister responded by defending the political culture and practice of allocating portions of MPs’ salaries to party funds. Referring to previous practices by the JVP and NPP, she said: “It is no secret to the country that the JVP has for a long time not personally taken MPs’ salaries or any allowances. I think the entire country knows that these go to a party fund. That is not new, nor is it something special to mention. The NPP operates in the same way. That too is not new; it is the culture of our political movement.”
When MP Wijesiri posed a supplementary question asking whether diverting salaries to party funds was an indirect method of taking care of MPs, Dr. Amarasuriya said: “There is no issue there. No question was raised; the Member made a statement. What we have seen throughout this week is an inability to understand our political culture and practice, and a clash with decisions taken by political movements that misused public funds. What is coming out is a certain mindset. That is why there is such an effort to find fault with the 159. None of these facts are new to people. He did not ask a question, so I have nothing to answer.”
The disclosures come days after the Government moved to abolish the parliamentary pension, a measure that has sparked renewed debate over MP compensation and the transparency of funds allocation.
News
Illegal assets of underworld figures frozen since September, Minister tells parliament
Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ananda Wijepala on Friday (20) disclosed in Parliament details of properties and assets allegedly acquired through illegal activities by suspects arrested in raids carried out since September last year.
The Minister made the disclosure in response to a question raised by MP Ravindra Bandara, stating that the identified assets have been frozen pending further investigations.
He said the assets include properties belonging to several alleged organised crime figures, among them Mandinu Padmasiri, alias ‘Kehelbaddara Padme’, who was arrested last year.
Listing the assets in the House, the Minister said Hapugoda Arachchige Kankanamge Duminda Dilruk has assets worth Rs. 23 million frozen, including a van, a motorcycle, a house and a roller gate.
In the case of Kandaiya Kalamogan, two motorboats have been identified, although their value has not yet been assessed.
Dilum Tharaka Balasuriya is reported to own a two-storey house situated on 15 perches of land with a face value of Rs. 800,000.
Assets belonging to Mohammad Harish Mohammad and Mohammad Shiyam were frozen on January 21, 2026. While the total value has not yet been assessed, five vehicles were confiscated from the former and a car from the latter.
Wijesuriya Mahaduruge Uditha Iroshan Wijesiri has assets valued at Rs. 5 million, including a lorry, while Indika Pathmakumara’s assets include a cab worth Rs. 2.5 million and a bank account containing Rs. 1 million.
Lahiru Sampath is reported to own a three-wheeler valued at Rs. 1.8 million.
According to the Minister, Hettiarachchige Dona Sriyani Chandralatha possesses a four-storey house and 14.7 perches of land valued at Rs. 60 million.
Mandinu Padmasiri, alias ‘Kehelbaddara Padme’, owns 20 perches of land with partially constructed buildings valued at Rs. 30 million and a half-finished six-room building worth Rs. 20 million, the Minister said.
Patabendi Maddumage Shehan Sathsara, alias ‘Dehi Bale Malli’, has five multi-day fishing trawlers valued at Rs. 200 million and a two-storey house with 15.8 perches of land worth Rs. 50 million.
The Minister further disclosed that Jayasinghege Maduranga Sampath owns a cab worth Rs. 5.4 million, a van valued at Rs. 14.5 million, five bank accounts containing Rs. 73.03 million, another account with Rs. 160,328.88 and USD 544, and Rs. 283 million in cash.
Adhikari Samantha Perera is reported to own 10.10 perches of land valued at Rs. 5 million and one acre and 1.5 perches of land worth Rs. 13 million.The Minister said investigations are continuing in respect of the suspects and the frozen assets.
-
Business6 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Latest News2 days agoNew Zealand meet familiar opponents Pakistan at spin-friendly Premadasa
-
Latest News2 days agoTariffs ruling is major blow to Trump’s second-term agenda
-
Latest News2 days agoECB push back at Pakistan ‘shadow-ban’ reports ahead of Hundred auction
-
Features6 days agoGiants in our backyard: Why Sri Lanka’s Blue Whales matter to the world
-
Sports3 days agoOld and new at the SSC, just like Pakistan
-
News5 days agoIMF MD here
-
News2 days agoConstruction begins on country’s largest solar power project in Hambantota
