News
President tells judiciary to keep off his turf
President Ranil Wickremesinghe on Sunday said that the judiciary should not interfere with the affairs of the Executive.
Speaking at a ceremony where freehold land deeds were distributed under the Urumaya at the Mahiyangana Public Stadium, the President said it was Parliament that had judiciary powers.
President Wickremesinghe highlighted the history of the Urumaya programme, which was initiated in 2002 and 2003 but was subsequently halted due to a court decision.
Wickremesinghe said that if the programme had been implemented 20 years back, the people could have been granted free land rights earlier.
“The Urumaya programme was launched in this country in 2002 and 2003 but it was suspended due to a court decision. I acted according to the Land Development Ordinance, which was prepared by my grandfather, C L Wickremesinghe, who served as the Government Agent in the North Central Province at that time.
“D. S. Senanayake, then the Minister of Agriculture, visited Anuradhapura to inspect the old tanks, some of which had been renovated while others, including the Parakrama Samudraya were slated for renovation. Thereafter, the focus of the government shifted to settling the people in that area.
“During this period, D.S. Senanayake informed my grandfather of the establishment of a new department called the Land Development Department and instructed him to take charge of it and draft the necessary laws. My grandfather prepared and passed those laws, became the first Land Development Commissioner, and settled the people in the area. The aim was to provide land to the landless people of the wet zone, establish villages in these areas, and develop both the wet zone and the newly established villages. This law was created to achieve that goal.
“When I reviewed his files, I discovered a significant issue: many people in Sri Lanka at that time could not read or write. Consequently, various individuals exploited them by including them in agreements one by one and attempting to seize their land through loans. To address this, the land licence system was created.
“The situation in 1935 was vastly different from today. Now, every family in this country has well-educated members, including graduates, doctors, and lawyers. Therefore, such exploitation is unlikely to happen today. However, back then, the lack of education made people vulnerable to such schemes.
“We implemented this programme when we started the Mahaweli movement.
However, after 10-15 years, it was no longer necessary as people protected their lands. I believed they would not sell their land, but eventually, people began to expect land rights. This necessitated a new law to provide these lands under the Land Development Ordinance. I presented the draft law, but the Supreme Court ruled that a referendum was necessary to pass such legislation.
“If we had been given the opportunity to implement that programme back then, we could have confirmed freehold land rights for the people 20 years ago. However, foreign investors were later given free land instead. If it was possible to allocate government land to the Shangri-La Hotel under the Land Ordinance, why can’t I, as the President, grant land rights to two million people?
“Some have warned that this matter will go to court, but it’s important to remember that the authority lies not with the court but with Parliament. I have always maintained that the judiciary should not interfere with the executive.
In 1978, Minister Gamini Dissanayake initiated the Uluhitiya project here. Today, I am here to start the programme of giving freehold land deeds to all those who came from Uluhitiya. This is your right, not a government favour,” he said.
News
CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail
Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.
The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.
The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”
Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.
At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.
The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.
However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.
A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.
The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.
Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.
By Ifham Nizam
News
PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.
According to the disclosure:
An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.
Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.
Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.
Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.
MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.
Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.
For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.
News
CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests
Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.
The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.
These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.
Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.
Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.
The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”
The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.
By AJA Abeynayake
-
Life style5 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business4 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features5 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features5 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features5 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News5 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News5 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
News3 days agoIMF MD here
