Connect with us

News

Parliament urged to incorporate amendments into Central Bank Bill in keeping with promise to SC

Published

on

By Shamindra Ferdinando

SLPP MP Gevindu Cumaratunga, now functioning as an independent, yesterday (07), said that it would be the responsibility of Parliament to ensure that amendments, recommended by the judiciary to a Bill titled ‘Central Bank of Sri Lanka,’ were duly incorporated.

The National List MP said that the assurance given by Additional Solicitor General Viraj Dayaratne, PC, to the Supreme Court, in concurrence with Governor of the Central Bank Dr. Nandalal Weerasinghe, as regards incorporation of appropriate amendments.

Addressing the media at Sri Sambuddhathwa Jayanthi Mandiraya, near Thunmulla, the leader of Yuthukama civil society group asked whether the debate, following the second reading of the Bill, incorporation of relevant amendments, and the vote could take place on May 11, as announced by Parliament.

Referring to the SC ruling on the relevant Bill, MP Cumaratunga said that of the 134 clauses therein, the bench, consisting of Priyantha Jayawardena, PC, Kumudini Wickremasinghe and Arjuna Obeysekere, declared 46 clauses inconsistent with the Constitution. The Yuthukama leader represents the Uththara Lanka Sabhagaya.

MP Cumaratunga expressed serious concern over the failure on the part of Parliament to discuss the whole gamut of issues relating to the Bill and reach consensus on the proposed amendments. Such a consensus should be in place ahead of the proposed second reading and the subsequent vote to ensure that the powers that be didn’t manipulate the process to enact an Act, contrary to the Constitution.

“Once approved no one could do anything about it,” MP Cumaratunga said, adding that a Bill, being fully consistent with the Constitution, does not necessarily mean it safeguarded public interests.MP Cumaratunga alleged that at the onset, Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena had misinterpreted the SC ruling and

the Parliament conveniently failed to provide members a copy of the SC ruling, the day the Speaker made the announcement. “Although we were told the ruling would be included in the Hansard, the 54-page ruling had been printed on eight pages and was not clear,” MP Cumaratunga said.

The Island asked MP Cumaratunga whether he opposed the Central Bank being freed from political interference as those who backed the initiative repeatedly assured that was the primary objective of the Bill. MP Cumaratunga said President Ranil Wickremesinghe, in his capacity as the Finance Minister, proposed names to the Monetary Board and approved them as the President. How that could achieve much promised independence of the Central Bank, the MP said, pointing out the absence of provision in case the Constitutional Council didn’t accept the names submitted by the President. MP Cumaratunga asked whether the much-touted independence could be achieved by constitutionally removing the Secretary to the Finance Ministry from the Monetary Board. The MP pointed out that having promised to empower Parliament, President Wickremesinghe continued to hold a vital finance portfolio, quite contrary to the assurances given during his tenure as PM, during May-July 2022.

Well informed sources told The Island that the International Monetary Fund (IMF) was closely monitoring the developments pertaining to the new Act. Sources said that the IMF was keen to ensure that the Central Bank received the freedom to operate independently. Therefore, the enactment of the new Act, incorporating the promised amendments, was a must, sources said.

MP Cumaratunga further said that the Finance Committee meeting didn’t take up the Central Bank issue. Subsequently, the MPs were told the issues at hand would be discussed on Tuesday (09), MP Cumaratunga said, urging the government to put off the second reading to pave the way for preparation of a fresh Bill, taking into consideration all amendments promised during the SC hearing. Wouldn’t that be better than hastily approving a vital Bill, the MP asked.



Latest News

Landslide Early Warnings issued to the districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura

Published

on

By

The National Building Research Organisation [NBRO] has issued landslide early warnings to the Districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura valid from 09:00 hrs on 23.05.2026 to 09:00 hrs on 24.05.2026

Accordingly,
LEVEL III [RED] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Deraniyagala, Ruwanwella and Dehiowita in the Kegalle district and Ratnapura, Ayagama, Kuruwita and Eheliyagoda in the Ratnapura district.

LEVEL II [AMBER] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Seethawaka and Padukka in the Colombo district, Attanagalla in the Gampaha district, Palindanuwara, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala and Horana in the Kalutara district, Yatiyanthota in the Kegalle district and Pelmadulla, Kiriella, Kalawana, Nivithigala and Elapatha in the Ratnapura district.

LEVEL I [YELLOW] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Divulapitiya and Mirigama in the Gampaha district, Mathugama and Agalawatta in the Kalutara district, Bulathkohupitiya in the Kegalle district, and Ambagamuwa in the Nuwara Eliya district.

,

.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Most people seeking green cards must now apply from outside US

Published

on

By

The US has announced a new policy that means most immigrants seeking a green card will have to leave the country and apply at an embassy or consulate abroad.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said on Friday that people seeking a change in status must do so through consular processing outside of the country “except in extraordinary circumstances”.

The move – a part of the Trump administration’s effort to curtail illegal immigration – closes a loophole that had allowed visa holders and visitors to apply for a green card while still in the US.

Critics of the policy say the longstanding system allowed families to stay together during the lengthy application process.

The new method could also make it difficult or impossible for some immigrants who leave the country in hopes of gaining a green card to return.

The USCIS policy memo states that people such as students, temporary workers or people on tourist visas need to go through the Department of State from outside of the US.

“When aliens apply from their home country, it reduces the need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the US illegally after being denied residency,” USCIS said, making the system “fairer and more efficient”.

On X, the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees USCIS, said: “The era of abusing our nation’s immigration system is over.”

“We’re returning to the original intent of the law to ensure aliens navigate our nation’s immigration system properly,” USCIS Spokesman Zach Kahler said.

“From now on, an alien who is in the US temporarily and wants a green card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances,” he continued.

Kahler said the policy allows the immigration system “to function as the law intended instead of incentivising loopholes” and that visits “should not function as the first step in the green gard process”.

It is unclear whether pending green card applications will be affected.

A spokesperson for the USCIS told the BBC that as the policy is rolled out, “people who present applications that provide an economic benefit or otherwise are in the national interest will likely be able to continue on their current path”.

“Others may be asked to apply abroad depending on individualised circumstances,” it said.

Being a green card holder, or lawful permanent resident, allows a person to live and work permanently in the US. Obtaining one is a multi-step process that can take months to several years.

There are currently more than a million legal immigrants waiting for approval on their adjustment of status green card applications, according to the Cato Institute’s director of immigration studies.

Kahler argued that following the law allows the majority of cases to be handled by the US State Department at consular offices abroad and frees up USCIS resources to focus on processing other cases that fall under its purview – such as visas for victims of violent crime and human trafficking, naturalisation applications, and other priorities.

The move is consistent with longstanding immigration law and immigration court decisions, the agency said. Immigration officers are being directed to “consider all relevant factors and information on a case-by-case basis when determining whether an alien warrants this extraordinary form of relief”.

Michael Valverde, who was a senior official at USCIS under both Republican and Democratic administrations until his departure last year, said to the BBC’s US media partner CBS that Friday’s announcement would “disrupt the plans of hundreds of thousands of families and employers annually”.

“This is a largely unprecedented move that will limit lawful immigration to the US greatly,” Valverde said. “People who followed the rules faithfully now face tremendous uncertainty.”

The Trump administration has instated bans or restrictions on citizens from nearly 40 countries.

Another policy from the administration this year has paused all visa issuances to immigrant visa applicants from 75 countries.

Overstaying a US visa can lead to deportation, ineligibility for future visas and re-entry bans lasting up to 10 years, according to the US State Department.

[BBC]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]

Published

on

By

The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.

It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas  pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard

Continue Reading

Trending