Connect with us

News

National Audit Office finds great risk of groundwater depletion due to overextraction

Published

on

Tubewell in Jaffna

There is a risk of groundwater depletion in the future due to unrestricted groundwater extraction, a National Audit Office report, titled ‘Evaluating the Legal Mechanism and Its Functionality of Ground Water Management in Sri Lanka’ has said.

The Audit Office has said that there is a risk of increasing contamination of groundwater due to the use of agrochemicals and various other activities.

The report says there is a lack of existing legal provisions for the protection of groundwater. For example the Water Resources Board, the institution that had been identified as the Groundwater Management Authority, has not prepared and activated a National Policy on Groundwater Management and this could be a stumbling block for the achievement of sustainable groundwater management by the year 2030.

“Groundwater is one of the most valuable natural resources in Sri Lanka and a large number of people use groundwater. About 80% of the rural population meets their domestic needs through groundwater. Farming activities in Jaffna, Ampara, Mannar, Puttalam and Vavuniya depend entirely on groundwater,” the report said.

The National Audit Office says that following the enactment of the Local Government Act No. 42 of 1987 by the 13th Amendment, the responsibility for the management of groundwater came under the purview of the relevant Provincial Councils and through the 13th Amendment to the Constitution delegated management responsibility for other mineral resources.

Many landowners decide what to do with groundwater available to them. “Accordingly, the use of groundwater by landowners, investors and public, places it in an unrestricted and non-acceptable manner and has been allowed to be used without regard to future environmental impacts on groundwater consumption,” the report observes.

It states that 443 tube well constructing institutions had registered with the Water Resources Board as at 30 June 2020. The Audit Office adds that in many parts of the country, water was traditionally taken for domestic purposes through shallow wells.

“Groundwater has traditionally been used for irrigation only in a limited number of areas, such as the Jaffna District. However, over the past two decades, groundwater has been used extensively for irrigation in an unorganised manner. Government and nongovernmental organisations have encouraged the construction of wells and provided financial assistance”.

The Audit Office states that this tendency has led to a drop in the groundwater level in the dry zone where a large number of wells have been dug. Some wells have been abandoned and there have been reports of brackish water coming through the wells. Groundwater density is very high in some areas.

“Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is also reported to be more prevalent in areas where well water density is high. An assessment of groundwater resources needs to be done to determine whether this resource is being used on a scientific basis and prudently,” the report said.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending