Connect with us

News

More than 10,000 acres of forest already destroyed under present govt. – JVP

Published

on

National Committee Member of the SYU Sanjaya Wishwanath flanked by Colombo District Organiser Anjana Sampath Amarasinghe (Left) and National Organizer Eranga Gunasekera addressing media at the JVP headquarters in Pelawatte yesterday,

 

By Saman Indrajith

The JVP’s youth wing Socialist Youth Union yesterday alleged that around 10,000 acres of forests had been cleared since the new government came to power.

Addressing the media at the party headquarters in Pelawatte yesterday, National Organizer of the SYU Eranga Gunasekera said development did not mean increasing the number of concrete buildings at the expense of the environment. “We received information that Dahaiyagala forest in Thanamalwila was being cleared on Jan 30. Our members visited the area on Feb 20 and 21 and witnessed that around 1,000 acres had been cleared. We have videos and photos to prove that trees that are older than 75-100 years have been felled. According to villagers the jungle had been cleared to help a businessman who is building a resort in the jungle. Two acres in Anavilundawa Ramsar wetland site had been bulldozed. Ten acres of Vanathavilluwa jungle had been cleared up. We have information that 5,426 acres in the Galawalayaya jungle belonging to the Veddah people have been cleared. A crony businessman of the government has been given permission to grow aloe vera in 1,500 acres of Wilapattu jungle. Another businessman has been given permission to clear 150 acres in the Ratmale reserve in Horowpathana. Seven hundred acres of the Muthurajawela marshland jungle has been bulldozed. Two and half acres of Kurunegala Rajapeela forest have been cleared. Ten acres of another forest in Agundawa in the Sigiriya have been cleared by another government crony businessman. An extent of eight acres is being cleared in Gotiyagama in Sinharaja. Twenty one acres of Thabbowa jungle in Kruwalagaswewa have been destroyed in the name of development. Ten acres of jungle near Kodagoda in Thanamalwila have been cleared. Regional politicians and businessmen friends of the ruling party are engaged in this destruction.”

“In these cases the clearings have been done using bulldozers. Everybody knows that the villagers in nearby areas cannot afford to hire bulldozers and those jungle clearings have been done by very powerful politicians and their businessmen cronies,” he said.

 Gunasekera said that the incumbent government and its Viyathmaga group were critical of what the previous government had done. “The Vistas of Splendour manifesto promised to increase the country’s forest cover by 30 per cent but their acts are totally opposite of the promises they made,” he said

 National Committee Member of the SYU Sanjaya Wishwanath said that the past year would go on the records someday as the one which witnessed the highest number of destruction inflicted on the environment. “We are planning to line up the youth of this country against the environment destruction. We are planning to stage countrywide protests. We hope those who love the environment will line up with us to save the environment.”

Colombo District Organiser of SYU Anjana Sampath Amarasinghe also addressed the press.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending