Connect with us

news

Minister Weerasekera gets down to overhauling lethargic local authorities

Published

on

State Minister of Provincial Councils and Local Government Affairs, Rear Admiral (Rtd.) Dr. Sarath Weerasekera addressing a meeting held at the Sri Lanka Institute of Local Governance in Colombo

State Minister of Provincial Councils and Local Government Affairs, Rear Admiral (Rtd.) Dr. Sarath Weerasekera vows to set up a local government system that provides efficient service to the public instead of the one prevailing to the dismay of ratepayers.

Addressing a meeting held at the Sri Lanka Institute of Local Governance in Colombo on Friday, the Minister said that it had been reported that most of the public who visit Local Authorities had to waste their time and long delays occurred when granting approvals.

Minister Weerasekera said that even the President of the country responded to a letter within a fortnight so the officials at local government bodies should not take months to respond to the grievances of the people. Under the provisions of the 19th Amendment if a letter seeking his approval sent to the President by the Constitutional Council is not rejected within 14 days, it is considered that he has given his approval. I think such a mechanism should be introduced with regard to the letters sent to the local authorities seeking their approval by the general public so it would alleviate the undue delay,” the Minister said.

The Minister said that he intended to introduce a programme with the assistance of the ICTA so that people would be able to get services done online without wasting time. Activities such as reservation of crematoriums could be done online. It would make the bureaucracy efficient without the public having to pay bribes to touts. “This Ministry has been gazetted as a separate State Ministry to ensure delivery of effective administrative service to the public through local authorities”, Minister Weerasekera added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Majority of 300 luxury vehicles to be released

Published

on

… some shipped in without opening LCs, EU wants restrictions abolished

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The majority of the luxury vehicles imported by special permit holders in contravention of the import ban imposed by the government in view of precarious economic situation caused by corona first wave are likely to be released subject to penalties.

Well informed sources said that those vehicles shipped in without even opening LCs would be released. Among the violators were many government servants.

Sources said that vehicles brought in without opening LCs were likely to be confiscated.

“We have categorised over 300 vehicles, including BMWs, Mercedes-Benz and Audis into two groups. Customs are now in the process of evaluating individual cases,” a high ranking state official said.

The government announced a ban on vehicle imports to arrest the depletion of foreign reserves. Sources acknowledged that at the time the vehicles

arrived in Sri Lanka the second corona wave hadn’t erupted. The situation was far worse now and further deteriorating, they said, adding that the Customs were being inundated with requests for releasing vehicles on sympathetic grounds.

Controversy surrounds the failure on the part of the government to strictly implement the import ban in view of the sharp drop in state revenue due to the pandemic.

Recently, the EU demanded that Sri Lanka immediately lift import ban or face the consequences. The EU issued the warning in talks with government representatives. Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena explained the circumstances that compelled the government to impose import restrictions. The EU sought an explanation as to when the ban would be lifted. The Foreign Ministry quoted Foreign Minister Gunawardena as having explained to the EU the challenges Sri Lanka economy was facing amidst the dwindling foreign currency reserve situation due to the significant reduction in remittances and tourism revenue induced by the COVID-19 global pandemic. The minister said that the import restrictions were being reviewed.

Continue Reading

news

Nearly 74,000 persons under home quarantine

Published

on

Close to 74,000 people belonging to 27,974 families had been placed under home quarantine, Police Spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana said on Wednesday (25).

He said that the number of cases from the Minuwangoda and Peliyagoda clusters had increased to 17,436 with 458 persons had tested positive for the virus on Tuesday.

Two wards of the Kethumathi Maternity Hospital, Panadura were temporarily closed on Wednesday after two pregnant women admitted there tested COVID-19 positive.

The two women are from Atalugama, which has been declared an isolated area. During the last few days close to half of the COVID-19 patients detected in Colombo District are from Atalugama.

The two women have been sent to Neville Fernando Hospital, Malabe. The patients and staff in Wards 3 and 4 at the Kethumathi Maternity Hospital are now under quarantine. Their family members too have been asked to undergone self-quarantine.

The Police had arrested 61 persons who had violated quarantine laws within the 24 hours that ended at 8 am yesterday, Police spokesman, DIG Ajith Rohana said, adding that they had been arrested for not wearing masks or for not maintaining physical distancing. With those altogether 688 persons had been arrested for violating quarantine laws from October 30, he said.

Commissioner General of Prisons Thushara Upuldeniya said that apart from Welikada, the spread of COVID-19 had been controlled at other prisons. COVID-19 cases had been reported from six prisons, he added.

“We are conducting PCR tests and hope that the situation in Welikada too would be brought under control. Twenty four new cases were detected from prisons on November 24 and from October 04, we have identified 708 cases within the prison system.”

Continue Reading

news

Severity of impact of second wave on economy could be far worse than anticipated – CBSL

Published

on

By Shyam Nuwan Ganewatte

The impact of the second wave of COVID-19 could be severer on the economic growth than previously anticipated, Director of Economic Research at the Central Bank Dr. Chandranath Amarasekara said yesterday (26).

Dr. Amarasekera said so responding to a query by The Island at a CBSL media briefing. The top official said that an assessment couldn’t be made yet as the second wave was continuing.

Continue Reading

Trending