Connect with us

News

Journo, STF ‘intel’ officer et al held in high profile CID probe

Published

on

Some of the PNB suspects arrested in connection with the ongoing CID probe

…disappearance of undeclared captured LTTE weapons sends shock waves

By Saman Gamage and Shamindra Ferdinando

Police investigating clandestine links between the underworld and some law enforcement personnel have taken into custody journalist Prasad Abeywickrema for allegedly facilitating the smuggling of weapons, including Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPGs) and assault rifles from Naula to Colombo during the corona lockdown.

Abeywickrema was taken into custody on Monday (17). Investigations have revealed that the weapons had been moved in a van that carried ‘President’s Media’ name board.

Another journalist is also under investigation in this regard.

Of the weapons pilfered, the elite STF on June 29, 2020 recovered 12 T-56 assault rifles stashed in a multi-storey building at Pitipana in the Homagama police area.

Sources said the STF carried out the raid on information provided by an informant who accompanied Abeywickrema from Naula to Colombo. Sources said that subsequently, the STF handed over the informant to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) now handling the inquiry.

Sources said that the stock of weapons included RPGs, Light Machine Guns, T 56 assault rifles and pistols.

Responding to The Island queries, sources said that the information regarding the weapons stashed at Pitipana had been received by a Chief Inspector and Sub Inspector attached to the STF who received transfers over a year ago following major narcotic detection. Sources said that the CI and SI had been sent to Mannar and Hambantota, respectively after the controversial detection. They were brought back after Varuna Jayasundera took over the STF recently, sources said, adding that over 80 weapons were yet to be recovered.

Sources said that the entire stock of weapons believed to be the property of the LTTE had been sold to underworld gangs. The weapons recovered at Pitipana had been sold to Kosgoda Tharaka’s gang, while the rest had fallen into hands of others operating in the Colombo district et al.

Several army personnel, including a Commanding Officer of an infantry battalion have been detained in connection with the investigation. The other journalist under investigation is believed to be the go between the military and the underworld.

Sources said that the highest levels of the government had been briefed of the ongoing investigation.

Sources said that some of those under investigation had also been involved in smuggling heroin.

Recently Justice Minister Ali Sabry PC expressed serious concern over the Registrar of courts, the police, the prisons and the Government Analyst Department (GAD) involvement in the heroin trade. Over 20 persons in custody in connection with alleged underworld links include police personnel attached to the Police Narcotics Bureau, GAD workers and Prisons Department employees.

Sources said that more arrests were likely soon.

Police headquarters yesterday evening confirmed Abeywickrema’s arrest. It said that the 30-year-old journalist, a resident of Ambakolawewa, Medamulana was taken into custody on Monday around 6.30 pm on information elicited from PNB personnel in custody for dealing in heroin.

It said that the suspect misused the identity card issued by the Government Information Department to move weapons from Naula to Pitipana in a van owned by a person held under Detention Orders. The journalist too was being been held under Detention Orders.

The police headquarters also said that information provided by PNB suspects led to the arrest of 49-year-old STF officer who functioned as the OIC, Intelligence and Special Operations of STF base, Mannar. The STF officer had been taken into custody under the Prevention of Terrorism Act (Temporary Provisions) of 1979 No 48.

 



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending