Connect with us

News

Govt: Madrasas and burqa will be banned as recommended by PCoI

Published

on

By Saman Indrajith

Minister of Public Security Rear Admiral (retd.) Dr. Sarath Weerasekera told Parliament yesterday that action would be taken to ban Madrasas and burqas as a measure to prevent the recurrence of Islamic extremist activities in the country.

 Making a ministerial statement on the Report of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry on the Easter Sunday attacks, the Minister said that all those directly or indirectly responsible for the terror attacks on April 21, 2019 would be arrested. 

 Minister Weerasekera said investigations had revealed that there had been eight opportunities that had been missed by the intelligence and security officials in the yahapalana regime to prevent the Easter Sunday attacks. On Feb 6, 2018 there was a bomb attack on a member of the National Front for Good Governance, Abdul Farwadan. Six days later there had been another bomb attack on the office of the National Front for Good Governance at Kattankudy. Six months later, the brother of Zahran Hashim, Rilvan was injured while experimenting with explosives at Palamunai in Batticaloa. Two weeks later two policemen were killed at Vavunathivu. One month later there was an incident of damaging Buddha statues in Mawanella. Three weeks after that a stock of explosives was found from Wanathawilluwa. Two months later on March 08, 2019 an informant of the Criminal Investigation Department Thaslim was shot and wounded. Five weeks later on April 16, 2019 the explosives had been tested on an experimental explosion using a motorbike at Thalankudah. The Easter Sunday attack took place five days later. A single group was involved in five incidents. If the intelligence and security officials had been directed to investigate the precursor incidents thoroughly, the Easter Sunday terror attacks could have been avoided. That did not take place owing to the lethargic attitude of the then Yahapalana government towards national security. Also lack of cooperation between the CID and Terrorist Investigation Division and the malfuctiong prevented investigations into aforementioned incidents.

The Minister said that 676 people had been arrested in connection with the Easter Sunday carnage and 200 of them while 66 others were detained for investigations.

He said that 408 people were currently out on bail as per the law of the country.

“After this government was elected, 99 people were arrested in Sri Lanka for their direct and indirect involvement in the attacks while another 35 Sri Lankans who were overseas were arrested,” he said. 

Intelligence in early 2020 for the first time revealed of a female wing trained by Zahran Hashim and 17 of them had taken an oath to carry out suicide attacks, the Minister said, adding that five of them were already dead, three had been charged and remanded while seven others were being detained for questioning.

The remaining two women would be arrested in the future, he said. 

The Terrorist Investigations Division and the Intelligence Services had managed to trace other extremist organisations operating in the country and make arrests, said the Minister of Public Security. 

Necessary measures had been taken for the implementation of the recommendations made by the Presidential Commission of Inquiry that probed the April 21, 2019 attacks, he said.

 

 



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

PM meets Sri Lankan community living in London

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya, who is currently on an official visit to the United Kingdom, met with members of the Sri Lankan community living in London on Wednesday [20th]  and engaged in cordial discussions.

Despite the event being held on a weekday, it was notable that nearly one thousand Sri Lankans representing the Sinhala, Tamil, and Muslim communities attended with great enthusiasm.

Addressing the gathering, Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya stated that despite natural disasters and international crises, the present government has succeeded in stabilizing the country’s economy while providing relief to the people. She further noted that Sri Lanka’s political culture has now undergone a positive transformation that is irreversible.

Minister of Women and Child Affairs Saroja Paulraj, addressing the event, stated that a governance system has now been established in the country where all communities are treated equally and the benefits of economic development are shared fairly among all citizens.

Moving away from the traditional method of political gatherings, the event also provided an open platform for members of the Sri Lankan community to directly raise questions and express their views to the Prime Minister and the Minister.

Commenting on the organization of the event, the organizing committee stated that all expenses, including dinner, were borne by the participants themselves. The organizers further remarked that it is unsurprising that opposition groups, accustomed to organizing such events through the misuse of public funds, appear unsettled by this transparent process.

The occasion was attended by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs Saroja Paulraj and Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Nimal Senadheera.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya meets Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya currently undertaking an official visit to London, United Kingdom, to participate in the 43rd Commonwealth of Learning (COL) Board of Governors Meeting 2026  held a bilateral meeting with the Yvette Cooper MP, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom ON Wednesday [20]. The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Nimal Senadheera, along with officials from the Sri Lankan High Commission.

During the meeting, the Prime Minister conveyed Sri Lanka’s appreciation to the United Kingdom for the support extended in the aftermath of Cyclone Ditwa, including ongoing rebuilding and recovery assistance. The Prime Minister also commended the United Kingdom’s support in facilitating increased bilateral trade and exports for Sri Lanka.

The Prime Minister briefed the UK delegation on Sri Lanka’s recent economic developments and policy priorities, the Government’s commitment to advancing human rights and reconciliation, as well as Sri Lanka’s positive growth trajectory.

The two sides also exchanged views on current global geopolitical developments, challenges in the energy sector, and the importance of enhancing regional connectivity and long-term energy security.

Both sides also emphasised the importance of strengthening structured academic mobility frameworks while ensuring fairness, clarity, and integrity within migration systems.

They also reaffirmed their commitment to further strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries in areas of mutual interest.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]

Continue Reading

News

Suspects involved in sureties controversy granted bail

Published

on

Kapila Chandrasena

Airbus bribe case:

Colombo Additional Magistrate Lahiru Silva yesterday (20) granted bail to Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan, who allegedly received money to stand as sureties for the late former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena. They were identified as residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, situated next to the Hulftsdorp court complex.

Chandrasena was found dead at his brother-in-law, Aravinda De Silva’s residence, at No. 38, Pedris Road, Kollupitiya, on 8 May.

The Magistrate also granted bail to B. A. Tissa and Perumal Ganesh, who arranged for Riswan and Irshan to stand as sureties for Chandrasena, who is under investigation for allegedly receiving a USD 2 million bribe through his wife to facilitate an Airbus deal. They, too, residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, were granted bail on two personal bail of Rs. 500,000 each.

Airbus had to pay USD 4 billion in penalties after admitting it had paid huge bribes to secure contracts in 20 countries. Sri Lanka is among them.

The Magistrate directed that the Grama Niladhari should certify their residence and the relevant certificates submitted to court and to establish the financial status of those who stood as sureties for the four persons.

The court was told that Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan obtained 17 Grama Niladhari certificates from January till May 2026. On the basis of a statement recorded from Keselwatta Grama Niladhari S. Nilantha Silva police informed court that the first suspect had obtained 10 certificates and the second person seven.

Fourth suspect Ganesh had first met those who stood as sureties, on 05 May, in the court premises and struck the deal. Crime OIC of Keselwatta Police, Sub Inspector K.W.D. Anuruddha, told court that Mohamed Riswan, Mohamed Irshan and B. A. Tissa hadn’t even known who Chandrasena was and were not related to him in anyway, according to investigations. Police requested that the four persons be further remanded.

The Magistrate granted them bail and set the next hearing for 25 June.

Legal sources said that such illegal practices were rampant, and in this particular case the Court Registrar should have been able to see that the sureties were very much unlikely to be relatives of Chandrasena.

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Continue Reading

Trending