Connect with us

news

GMOA declares inoculation of family members received necessary approval

Published

on

… questions journalists’ integrity and exploitation of frequencies

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The Government Medical Officers Association (GMOA) says the inoculation of the family members of doctors against the fast spreading Covid-19 pandemic was done with government approval. The GMOA said so at a media briefing on Tuesday (25) attended by its Secretary Dr. Senal Fernando, Assistant Secretary Dr. Naveen De Zoysa, General Committee member Prasad Kolombage and Media Committee member Dr. Hansamal Weerasuriya at their trade union office.

When the media sought an explanation as to why and how family members of doctors had been given priority in receiving the second dose of Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine, Dr. De Zoysa said that families of nurses as well as other health workers, too, had received the same vaccine.

Dr. De Zoysa emphasised that family members of doctors weren’t the only group benefited by the ongoing vaccination programme. The GMOA Assistant Secretary was referring to the programme launched on Monday (24) to vaccinate families of doctors and others in the health sector.

 Dr. De Zoysa said that those who had received the first Oxford AstraZeneca jab four and and a half months ago had been given booster doses. Responding to another query, Dr. De Zoysa said that the inoculation programme had been carried out with all necessary approvals and an investigation could be conducted in that regard.

The GMOA Spokesperson faulted the media for pursuing an agenda seriously inimical to the overall effort to bring the situation under control. At the onset of the question and answer session, Dr. De Zoysa alleged that a section of the media raised issues in a manner that gave the wrong impression to the public.

 Pointing out that the reportage of the issues at hand related to the Covid-19 situation undermined their efforts, Dr. De Zoysa said all segments of the society, including the media, were at risk. The GMOA official told the journalist who raised the issue that he, too, was in danger due to the rampaging Covid-19 virus.

 At the onset of the briefing, Dr. Zoysa warned of dire consequences if the two-week long travel restrictions, imposed till June 7 failed to produce the desired results. Underscoring their role in the overall efforts to convince the government to declare a two-week closure of the country, Dr. De Zoysa said that a section of the media seemed hell-bent on sabotaging ongoing efforts.

 Dr. De Zoysa reminded television channels frequencies that had been allocated to them belonged to the people therefore they couldn’t cause turmoil at the time of what he called a national calamity.

 Responding to another query over the continuing controversy over doctors’ families being given special status, Dr. De Zoysa asked the media whether the GMOA objected to journalists being given vaccines ahead of others?

 Dr. De Zoysa questioned the attitude of the media and how they approached the issue at a time politicians and others were criticised. Asserting that a section of the media had been utterly irresponsible and in some instances sought financial benefit at the expense of much needed stability, Dr. Zoysa emphasised that he was prepared to answer any question. The GMOA official revealed that one of his media contacts, who had showed some symptoms of Covid-19 in spite of being repeatedly advised by him to seek treatment, stayed at home.

Alleging that how those who advised the country responded to the life threatening situation, Dr. De Zoysa said that the journalist was tested positive for Covid-19 on Tuesday. Dr. De Zoysa said that there was another journalist at the media briefing who caused trouble and acted in a manner that undermined their anti-Corona project.

 Dr. De Zoysa said that the GMOA strongly believed that the entire population should be inoculated. The media could discuss disputed matters some other time but the immediate requirement was to educate the public of ways and means to meet the daunting Covid-19 challenge.

 Dr. De Zoysa said that he would be able to reveal the identities of those trade union leaders who received the vaccination along with their families as well as activists assigned to offices. The GMOA official in no uncertain terms questioned the honesty and the integrity of the media and their institutions. The GMOA spokesperson said that some of those causing mayhem over the vaccination of doctors’ families hadn’t at least prepared lists necessary to carry out such a project.

 Addressing the media on Monday (24), Dr. De Zoysa said that the plan to inoculate their family members were taken at a much higher level and some persons in the health administration could be unaware of the development.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

MONLAR: Govt. has fallen for millers’ ruse

Published

on

By Rathindra Kuruwita

Farmers would be harvesting their paddy by the time the government imports 100,000 tonnes of rice and it would lead to a decrease in prices they received from millers, Chinthaka Rajapakshe, Moderator of the Movement for Land and Agricultural Reform (MONLAR) warned yesterday.

Addressing a post-Cabinet Press Conference on Monday, co-Cabinet spokesman and Media Minister Keheliya Rambukwella announced that the Cabinet had approved the import of 100,000 tonnes of rice to increase competition in the market.

Rajapakshe commented that successive governments had been importing large quantities of rice close to the harvesting period.

“Several large mill owners create an artificial shortage of rice when the harvesting season nears. The government responds by importing large quantities of rice, often of dubious quality.  The paddy prices collapse, allowing mill owners to buy paddy from farmers at dirt cheap prices and then the mill owners release some of the stocks they have to the market. Given that Sri Lankans prefer to eat Sri Lankan varieties and that the imported rice is of poor quality; no one buys the imported rice,” Rajapakshe said.

 The MONLAR moderator said that there was an assumption that the Yala harvest would be low because of the impact of fertiliser shortages on rice production. There had been reports that rice plants were yellowing and their growth was retarded due to a shortage of nitrogen.

 Commenting on the allegations that there was a shortage of fertiliser, Minister of Plantation, Ramesh Pathirana told The Island that by the next paddy season the government would be able to provide adequate amounts of compost fertiliser. “There will be some difficulties in the next few months. We must work together to face them. Everyone agrees that organic agriculture is good, but some think the government’s decision was too hasty. However, by the time the Maha season starts we will have enough fertiliser stocks. We are also ready to compensate farmers if there are issues in the current season.”

In response,  Rajapakshe said that it was not too late to address the issues that had arisen from nitrogen shortages and questioned how the government had decided that it needed to import 100,000 tonnes of rice, given that it had not studied the impact of fertiliser shortage on the paddy harvest.

“How on earth did they come up with this number? Obviously, this is a scheme to enrich a few businessmen, politicians and some officials. The government should empower farmers’ associations, cooperatives and small mill owners if it wants to find a permanent solution to annual rice shortages experienced by the people,” he said.

Continue Reading

news

Wijeyadasa no longer considers himself govt. member

Published

on

By Shamindra Ferdinando

SLPP lawmaker Dr. Wijeyadasa Rajapakse, PC, says he no longer considers himself as a member of the ruling party.

Asked to comment on his present status, the Justice Minister, in the previous UNP regime, said that he had stopped participating in SLPP group meetings since the passage of the 20th Amendment to the Constitution in Oct last year.

Dr. Rajapakse, who entered Parliament from the Colombo District on the SLPP ticket at the August 2020 general election, voted for 20th Amendment despite his criticism of it. In the previous Parliament, Dr. Rajapakse represented the UNP.

Responding to another query, Rajapakse said that the SLPP had refrained from appointing him to any committee though he had in the past served and in some instances headed important outfits, such as the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE).

 The former minister alleged that the SLPP had caused so much turmoil that the country was now in a bind. Instead of taking the people into confidence the incumbent administration adopted strategies meant to suppress dissent.

 Commenting on what he called a severe economic crisis against the backdrop of the worsening Covid-19 epidemic, Dr. Rajapakse alleged that those at the helm lacked basic understanding to rationally address issues.

The former minister said that the government appeared to have ignored the growing threat of the EU going the whole hog in the wake of its parliament adopting a resolution against Sri Lanka.

The resolution expressed the concern of the European Parliament regarding the PTA (Prevention of Terrorism Act) and related human rights issues in Sri Lanka. It highlighted that the GSP+ status is linked to the implementation of 27 international conventions by Sri Lanka. The GSP+ monitoring process is conducted on a regular basis by the European Commission and the European External Action Service, the EU mission in Colombo told The Island.

The following is the relevant section from the EU resolution: “…Underlines that the GSP+ scheme offered to Sri Lanka has made a significant contribution to the country’s economy, from which exports to the EU have increased to EUR 2.3 billion, making the EU Sri Lanka’s second-largest export market; highlights the ongoing monitoring of Sri Lanka’s eligibility for GSP+ status and stresses that the continuance of GSP+ trade preferences is not automatic; calls on the Commission and the European External Action Service (EEAS) to take into due account current events when assessing Sri Lanka’s eligibility for GSP+ status; further calls on the Commission and the EEAS to use the GSP+ as a leverage to push for advancement on Sri Lanka’s human rights obligations and demand the repeal or replacement of the PTA, to carefully assess whether there is sufficient reason, as a last resort, to initiate a procedure for the temporary withdrawal of Sri Lanka’s GSP+ status and the benefits that come with it, and to report to Parliament on this matter as soon as possible.”

For want of a cohesive strategy, the SLPP hadn’t been able at least to rationally assess external and internal threats and take remedial measures, the MP said.

Referring to the passage of the Colombo Port City Economic Commission Bill, MP Rajapakse alleged that the government was on an extremely dangerous path. The EU resolution reflected the Western thinking and the current leadership acted as if China was our main buyers. How could they ignore the fact that the US and EU countries remain major contributors to the Sri Lanka economy though our decision-making process was aimed at satisfying China.

 

 

Continue Reading

news

Geneva concerned about deaths in police custody, Shani’s safety

Published

on

The Sri Lanka Core Group has joined the Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) in calling for what it calls independent and impartial investigations into deaths in police custody. The six-member grouping led by the UK has also stressed the need to ensure security of former CID Director SSP Shani Abeysekera, who recently received bail.

Abeysekera had been interdicted. The ex-CID Director has also figured in taped conversations with former MP Ranjan Ramanayake now serving a jail sentence for contempt of the Supreme Court, discussing how to fix certain court cases then being heard, especially against political opponents.

The following is the text of statement issued by Canada, Germany, North Macedonia, Malawi,

Montenegro and the UK at the 47th sessions of the Geneva-based United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC): “Council resolution 46/1 called upon the Sri Lankan Government to address the harmful legacies of war and to protect human rights, including for those from religious minorities. We regret the lack of progress on these issues, with a number of further concerning developments.

The Sri Lankan Government has attempted to dismiss a number of emblematic cases and to initiate criminal proceedings against individuals pursuing some of these cases. This counters the Council’s call for prompt, thorough and impartial investigations. We call for former CID director Shani Abeysekera’s safety to be ensured.

We are deeply concerned about the ongoing use of the Prevention of Terrorism Act and the recent intention to introduce a rehabilitation process lacking adequate judicial oversight. Human rights lawyer Hejaaz Hizbullah, and poet and teacher Ahnaf Jazeem, remain detained without trial and further arrests under this Act have continued, including among minority communities and the political opposition.

We remain concerned about the restrictions on memorialization . We join the Bar Association of Sri Lanka in requesting independent and impartial investigations into recent deaths in police custody

We are concerned over appointments to the Office on Missing Persons and reiterate the importance of ensuring independent and credible institutions to achieve justice.

We encourage Sri Lanka to cooperate with the Council and OHCHR in relation to resolution 46/1 and stand ready to support this.”

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending