Connect with us

News

Failure to thwart Easter Sunday terror attacks: Opp. to move no-faith motion against Deputy Defence Minister

Published

on

Aruna Jayasekera

… questions his role as Eastern Commander in 2019

The parties in the Opposition have unanimously decided to submit a no-confidence motion against Deputy Minister of Defence Aruna Jayasekera and hand it over to Speaker Dr. Jagath Wickremaratne next Monday (11).

The decision was taken at a meeting held yesterday at the Opposition Leader’s office, where party leaders agreed to proceed with the motion, claiming that Jayasekera, during his tenure as Eastern Security Forces Commander, had failed to act on intelligence reveived regarding the activities of National Thowheed Jamath (NTJ) leader Zaharan Hashim

Opposition MP Mujibur Rahman told the media that MPs had begun signing the motion yesterday at the Opposition Leader’s office, in Parliament. Alongside the no-confidence motion, MPs are also signing a resolution calling for the appointment of a select committee to oversee the drafting of a new Constitution in keeping with the NPP’s pledge, he said.

The Opposition has decided to move the no-faith motion against Jayasekera following very serious allegations made in Parliament, on 24 July, by Opposition MP Nizam Kariapper. He accused Jayasekera of having ignored a critical intelligence on Zaharan’s extremist activities, dating back to 2015. The revelations, he said, were detailed in a B report submitted by the CID to the Colombo Magistrate, which had allegedly been kept hidden for years.

“After the sacking of former Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, in October 2018, Aruna Jayasekera, who was then Head of Intelligence in Batticaloa, was appointed Security Forces Commander in the East,” Kariapper said. “The Vavunathivu attack on the police happened during the same month. A cover-up ensued, leading to the imprisonment of an interpreter, while those who failed in their duties now sit in Parliament.”

Kariapper described the situation as “a verdict of King Kakille”, denouncing, what he called a miscarriage of justice. He also highlighted Jayasekera’s long involvement in military intelligence, including his service in the 1989 counter-insurgency unit, and later as the Army Intelligence Chief in the East before retiring in 2019 and forming an ex-military officers’ association.

Kariapper said the CID had, in April, recommended the cancellation of passports belonging to five intelligence officers accused of negligence. “Who is the powerful figure preventing action ?” he asked.

The Catholic Church has also called for Deputy Minister Jayasekera’s resignation to ensure an impartial investigation into the Easter Sunday attacks, adding further pressure on the government as the Opposition rallies around the motion.

Kalutara District SJB MP Ajith P. Perera said that the Opposition parties had unanimously decided to bring a no-confidence motion against State Minister of Defence Jayasekera.

Perera told the media that the motion would be submitted to Speaker Dr. Jagath Wickramanayake next Monday (11).

By Saman Indrajith



News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending