News
Easter Sunday carnage: Cardinal invites everyone to support quest for justice
By Norman Palihawadane
Colombo Archbishop Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith yesterday called on all Sri Lankans to sink their differences and support the Church’s quest for justice for the Easter Sunday victims.
The Cardinal said that a campaign would be launched under the theme ‘Until justice is done, we are watching’ on 21 April.
The Church has organised a human chain protest and asked the public to line up on the road at 8.00 am next Friday and remain there until 8.45 am.
“You are invited to come to the Colombo- Negombo Main Road or to Galle Road from Dehiwala to Moratuwa or from Kalutara to Beruwala. Kindly line up on one side of the road peacefully and without shouting slogans or making any other noises. You should not disturb any bystanders, passengers or the morning traffic as we stage the silent protest peacefully,” the Cardinal has said.
A special message from the Cardinal was read out in all Catholic Churches yesterday during the Easter Sunday programmes. The prelate has said the government, instead of taking action to serve justice, was grooming a senior police officer accused of failing to prevent the Easter Sunday terror attack for the post of the IGP.
Full text of the message: The fourth-year commemoration of the victims of Easter Sunday violence falls on 2l st April this year. After four years, we are still in the dark as to the full truth behind these ghastly blasts which took away the lives of 272 innocent civilians, injured more than 500 while leaving a number of others maimed and permanently disabled, thus making them despondent and dependent for the rest of their life.
As regards the Presidential Commission of Inquiry tasked to investigate into the attacks, we have been able to acquire so far only one volume of its report containing its recommendations.
Notwithstanding our repeated requests to obtain the rest of the volumes presented to Parliament, which contain the evidence given before that Commission we have not yet succeeded in getting them. The Attorney General is deliberately avoiding taking the necessary steps to implement most of the recommendations found in the Presidential Commission Report against certain top level politicians, government officials and high ranking officers of the Sri Lanka police for their gross neglect of duty and doing absolutely nothing to prevent the bloodshed even though they knew about the attacks beforehand. On the contrary, we see attempts being made to promote some of these officers to high office in spite of the charges against them. Recently we read in the media that one such officer against whom the Presidential Commission recommends disciplinary action, is being groomed to be made the next IGP.
Of late, we have heard again the ridiculous case of the repeated DNA tests done on Sarah Pulasthini, the wife of Husthun, the bomber who blasted himself at Katuwapitiya. The first two tests done originally affirmed very clearly that her DNA was not found among those killed in the explosions at Sainda Mardhu. Nevertheless, the tests have been repeated now a third time so that an attempt is being made again by the police to prove the contrary. Who can accept such organized camouflage? It is ludicrous to repeat tests until the desired result is achieved which is not the standard norm to follow. Sarah Pulasthini is one person who, being the wife of the bomber at Katuwapitiya, knew many things about these attacks from the first moment of their planning to their final execution. Hence attempts to write her off as dead and suppress facts concerning her, can never be approved or accepted.
It is becoming increasingly evident that all efforts concerning investigation into the Easter Sunday attacks, on the part of the Government, are more geared to masquerading the truth than to identifying the masterminds and bringing them before the Law. Until at least the recommendations of the Commission Report are fully implemented and further investigations along the lines indicated by the said Commission are undertaken with due seriousness, the justice we envision will remain a figment of the imagination.
We, by no means, will give up our resolve to pursue truth and justice until the Lord, in the end, will triumph in this struggle through His mercy and grace. We will do it relentlessly not only because the majority of the victims are within our fold, but also as it is our duty to the nation to work tirelessly in order to bring about a country which is safe for all, which thrives in peace and truth and where the Rule of Law will reign supreme irrespective of persons.
We remember how the former Attorney General, speaking about the Easter Sunday tragedy, stated that there was a grand conspiracy behind these attacks. It was, as many have concluded, was primarily a political plot to come to power. If the culprits continue to enjoy immunity from the Law and they can still operate with impunity, what guarantees do we have that in the future, that similar or even greater violence will not recur or will not be resorted to, by someone in order to come to power?
Therefore, we earnestly urge all of you, irrespective of race and religion, ideology and political persuasion, to join hands with us to demand truth and justice to victims of the Easter Sunday violence on Friday the 21st April when we mark the 4th year commemoration of the Tragedy.
News
PM meets Sri Lankan community living in London
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya, who is currently on an official visit to the United Kingdom, met with members of the Sri Lankan community living in London on Wednesday [20th] and engaged in cordial discussions.
Despite the event being held on a weekday, it was notable that nearly one thousand Sri Lankans representing the Sinhala, Tamil, and Muslim communities attended with great enthusiasm.
Addressing the gathering, Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya stated that despite natural disasters and international crises, the present government has succeeded in stabilizing the country’s economy while providing relief to the people. She further noted that Sri Lanka’s political culture has now undergone a positive transformation that is irreversible.
Minister of Women and Child Affairs Saroja Paulraj, addressing the event, stated that a governance system has now been established in the country where all communities are treated equally and the benefits of economic development are shared fairly among all citizens.
Moving away from the traditional method of political gatherings, the event also provided an open platform for members of the Sri Lankan community to directly raise questions and express their views to the Prime Minister and the Minister.
Commenting on the organization of the event, the organizing committee stated that all expenses, including dinner, were borne by the participants themselves. The organizers further remarked that it is unsurprising that opposition groups, accustomed to organizing such events through the misuse of public funds, appear unsettled by this transparent process.
The occasion was attended by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs Saroja Paulraj and Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Nimal Senadheera.



[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
Latest News
Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya meets Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom
Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya currently undertaking an official visit to London, United Kingdom, to participate in the 43rd Commonwealth of Learning (COL) Board of Governors Meeting 2026 held a bilateral meeting with the Yvette Cooper MP, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom ON Wednesday [20]. The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Nimal Senadheera, along with officials from the Sri Lankan High Commission.
During the meeting, the Prime Minister conveyed Sri Lanka’s appreciation to the United Kingdom for the support extended in the aftermath of Cyclone Ditwa, including ongoing rebuilding and recovery assistance. The Prime Minister also commended the United Kingdom’s support in facilitating increased bilateral trade and exports for Sri Lanka.
The Prime Minister briefed the UK delegation on Sri Lanka’s recent economic developments and policy priorities, the Government’s commitment to advancing human rights and reconciliation, as well as Sri Lanka’s positive growth trajectory.
The two sides also exchanged views on current global geopolitical developments, challenges in the energy sector, and the importance of enhancing regional connectivity and long-term energy security.
Both sides also emphasised the importance of strengthening structured academic mobility frameworks while ensuring fairness, clarity, and integrity within migration systems.
They also reaffirmed their commitment to further strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries in areas of mutual interest.
[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
News
Suspects involved in sureties controversy granted bail
Airbus bribe case:
Colombo Additional Magistrate Lahiru Silva yesterday (20) granted bail to Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan, who allegedly received money to stand as sureties for the late former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena. They were identified as residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, situated next to the Hulftsdorp court complex.
Chandrasena was found dead at his brother-in-law, Aravinda De Silva’s residence, at No. 38, Pedris Road, Kollupitiya, on 8 May.
The Magistrate also granted bail to B. A. Tissa and Perumal Ganesh, who arranged for Riswan and Irshan to stand as sureties for Chandrasena, who is under investigation for allegedly receiving a USD 2 million bribe through his wife to facilitate an Airbus deal. They, too, residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, were granted bail on two personal bail of Rs. 500,000 each.
Airbus had to pay USD 4 billion in penalties after admitting it had paid huge bribes to secure contracts in 20 countries. Sri Lanka is among them.
The Magistrate directed that the Grama Niladhari should certify their residence and the relevant certificates submitted to court and to establish the financial status of those who stood as sureties for the four persons.
The court was told that Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan obtained 17 Grama Niladhari certificates from January till May 2026. On the basis of a statement recorded from Keselwatta Grama Niladhari S. Nilantha Silva police informed court that the first suspect had obtained 10 certificates and the second person seven.
Fourth suspect Ganesh had first met those who stood as sureties, on 05 May, in the court premises and struck the deal. Crime OIC of Keselwatta Police, Sub Inspector K.W.D. Anuruddha, told court that Mohamed Riswan, Mohamed Irshan and B. A. Tissa hadn’t even known who Chandrasena was and were not related to him in anyway, according to investigations. Police requested that the four persons be further remanded.
The Magistrate granted them bail and set the next hearing for 25 June.
Legal sources said that such illegal practices were rampant, and in this particular case the Court Registrar should have been able to see that the sureties were very much unlikely to be relatives of Chandrasena.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
-
Features5 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News5 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News5 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features2 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business5 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
Features7 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News5 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
