News
Dayasiri threatens disciplinary action against Nimal Siripala
By Kamal Bogoda and Aruna Bogahawatta
MP Dayasiri Jayasekara, yesterday (05), said that he would soon hold a disciplinary inquiry against Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva, who was undermining the party. Jayasekera said so after assuming duties as the General Secretary of the SLFP in front of the party headquarters, Darley Road, Colombo 10.
Earlier this week, Colombo District Court issued an interim order against the decision by the SLFP to remove Jayasekara from the post of General Secretary and stripping him of his party membership.
Jayasekara arrived at the party HQ Friday morning along with several electoral organisers who requested the police to open the party office. The SLFP HQ had been locked due to the tussle between two sides to gain control of the party. The police insisted that they could not allow Jayasekara to enter the building.
The MP then assumed duties outside the building. “I arrived to assume duties following a court order. I had sent copies of the court order to the IGP and other senior officers. The police on Friday insist that I must seek permission from Nimal Siripala de Silva. He is not a legitimate office bearer. I am the legitimate General Secretary,” he said addressing the gathering.
Jayasekara said that the Ranil Wickremesinghe administration will only last three more months. Several SLFPers, who hold positions in the government, are trying to destroy the party for material benefits, he said.
“I will not allow these to undermine the party. Soon I will return and start a disciplinary inquiry against de Silva. I will also lodge complaints with the Human Rights Commission against policemen who did not allow me to enter the party HQ. Their actions amounts to contempt of court,” he said.
Latest News
Showers above 200 mm are likely at some places in the Western, Sabaragamuwa and North-western provinces and showers above 100 mm are likely at some places in Galle, Matara, Kandy and Nuwara-Eliya districts.
WEATHER FORECAST FOR 22 MAY 2026
Issued at 05.30 a.m. on 22 May 2026 by the Department of Meteorology
The South-West monsoon is gradually getting established over the island and the current rainy conditions over the south-western parts of the island are expected to continue further for the next few hours.
Showers or thundershowers will occur at times in the Western, Sabaragamuwa and North-western provinces and in Galle, Matara, Kandy and Nuwara-Eliya districts. Very heavy showers above 200 mm are likely at some places in the Western, Sabaragamuwa and North-western provinces. Heavy showers above 100 mm are likely at some places in Galle, Matara, Kandy and Nuwara-Eliya districts. Several spells of showers will occur in the Northern province and in Anuradhapura district while showers or thundershowers may occur at a few places in the Uva province and in Ampara and Batticaloa districts after 2.00 pm.
Fairly strong winds about (35-45) kmph can be expected at times over the Western slopes of the central hills, the Northern, North-central, North-western and Southern provinces and in Trincomalee district.
The general public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damage caused by temporary localized strong winds and lightning during thundershowers
News
SJB asks govt. to negotiate ‘successor programme’ with IMF urgently
Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa yesterday called on the government to begin negotiations immediately for a successor programme with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), warning that Sri Lanka is not on track to meet reserve targets under the current arrangement.
“I am calling on the government to begin negotiations for a successor IMF programme. Not to renegotiate the existing arrangement. A successor programme, the arrangement that takes effect when this one ends,” Premadasa said in a statement.
Full text of Premadasa’s statement, titled ‘Negotiate Now, While We Still Have Something to Negotiate With’: The numbers are not complicated. Sri Lanka has $7 billion in gross official reserves. The IMF’s own target for when our current programme ends in March 2027 is $14.2 billion. To bridge that gap, we would need to accumulate $600 million in reserves every month for the next twelve months. We are not on track to meet that target.
And yet the government has said nothing about what comes after March 2027. I am calling on the government today to begin negotiations for a successor IMF programme. Not to renegotiate the existing arrangement, which is proceeding.
A successor programme, the arrangement that takes effect when this one ends. What I am proposing is not a retreat from fiscal discipline. It is the opposite.Sri Lanka is not in a position of strength indefinitely.
The rupee has weakened by approximately 14% against the dollar over the past twelve months. Petrol stands at Rs. 410 per litre today close to the Rs. 470 crisis peak of June 2022, reached in just four months from Rs. 294 in January. Our $8.1 billion in annual remittances, depends heavily on continued employment in Gulf states at a moment when the Middle East conflict is reshaping the regional economy. These are not distant risks.
We have had seventeen IMF programmes. Every one of them that involved a genuine crisis was negotiated after the reserves were gone and the rupee was in freefall. Every time, Sri Lanka accepted whatever terms were offered, because it had no other choice.
We have a choice right now. The window to negotiate from relative strength with $7 billion in reserves, a functioning programme, and demonstrated reform credibility. I am asking this government to plan for March 2027 and explain to the country Sri Lanka’s contingency plan when we fail to meet the IMF target.
News
42 ancient paintings missing from National Art Gallery
Minister of Buddhasasana, Religious and Cultural Affairs Hiniduma Sunil Senevi yesterday told Parliament that 42 ancient paintings were missing from the National Art Gallery, and that had been uncovered during a stock verification conducted in 2015.
Responding to a question raised by SJB Colombo District MP Mujibur Rahuman, the Minister said a stock verification board had inspected paintings and sculptures at the gallery in 2015, leading to the discovery of the missing artworks.
According to official records, the stock register listed 281 paintings, but only 239 are currently available at the National Art Gallery.
“The Ministry of Buddhasasana and Religious Affairs Secretary has appointed a committee, which has launched preliminary investigations. The recording of statements has commenced. I have given information to the Police in 2024 and 2025 regarding investigations into the matter,” the Minister said.
The Minister added that investigations were continuing into the disappearance of the paintings while authorities were working to determine the circumstances surrounding the missing artworks.
By Saman Indrajith
-
Features5 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News5 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News5 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features2 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business5 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News1 day agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News5 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
