Connect with us

Sports

Curfew removed for Sri Lankan cricketer on rape charges

Published

on

Sri Lankan cricketer Danushka Gunathilaka can use the WhatsApp messaging service and go out at night again after having his bail for rape charges varied.Gunathilaka, 31, applied to vary his bail in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court today.

He is facing four counts of sexual intercourse without consent and has not yet entered a plea. After matching on Tinder, meeting up for a date and heading back to her home in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, the complainant alleges the cricketer refused to wear a condom and choked her three times.

She cannot be identified.Gunathilaka was banned from using Tinder and other social media platforms when he was granted bail by a magistrate in November 2022.

The Crown consented to varying his bail on Thursday so that he can once again use WhatsApp, an encrypted messaging platform owned by Facebook-parent Meta, and popular in his home country.Magistrate Jennifer Atkinson clarified the restrictions on his new freedom to use the platform.

“It’s not to be used for the purposes of facilitating or managing dating,” she said.

Crown prosecutor George Rixon opposed an application to vary a condition on a night-time curfew, however it was granted by the magistrate.

Rixon said the curfew was needed to mitigate the risk of offending based on the alleged facts of the complainant’s statement, specifically, Gunathilaka’s “aggressive sexual behaviour” against her.

“There are likely to be more opportunities for this alleged offending to occur at night,” he said.Atkinson agreed the alleged offending occurred at night.

“But there’s nothing unique about it that it would have occurred at night and couldn’t occur during the day,” she said.

Atkinson said it was going to be “more apparent” to the public that Gunathilaka had been charged and was on bail due to his high profile.

“Respectfully, I disagree that this person is necessarily immediately identifiable in the community,” Rixon said.

Defence barrister Emma Sullivan said media coverage of her client’s case has further increased his profile.

“He’s very well known globally and in Australia,” she said.

Gunathilaka has been on strict conditions and has been complying with them, Atkinson said, despite Rixon’s submission that compliance with the orders of the court was not a reason to vary his bail.

“I’m not satisfied today that it is necessary to keep the curfew in place,” she said.

She warned Gunathilaka he would likely face many months in custody waiting for a trial or sentencing if he breached bail.

“This needs to be absolute compliance, you’ve been doing it up until now,” she told Gunathilaka.

Gunathilaka travelled to Australia with Sri Lanka’s T20 World Cup team but only played in their first game before being ruled out of the competition with a hamstring tear.

He was arrested shortly before boarding a flight home with the rest of the team after it bowed out of the tournament.His case is expected to return to court in April.



Latest News

Zimbabwe stun Sri Lanka to enter Super Eight unbeaten

Published

on

By

Sikandar Raza counterattacked to release the pressure [Cricinfo]

One time is a shock. Two times, and the second to beat hosts Sri Lanka at their own game, is Zimbabwe. Led by their canny bowling, Zimbabwe pulled Sri Lanka back from a flying start to keep them to 178 on a sluggish Premadasa track. Their opener Brian Benett, quickest scorer in their history, dropped anchor, stayed unbeaten like his team, and Sikandar Raza, Ryan Burl and Tadiwanashe Marumani did all the damage from the other end to seal their second-highest successful T20I chase.

Sri Lanka’s innings had three neat divisions: first 29 balls for 54 for 0, next 72 for 82 for 4 and then a finishing kick of 42 for 3 off the last 19 balls. Zimbabwe went Bennett and non-Bennett. Bennett scored 63 off 48; the other three combined for 102 off 64 balls. Raza was the decisive hand: 45 off 26 after the asking rate had gone past 11.

Brief scores:
Zimbabwe 182 for 4 in 19.3 overs (Brian Bennett 63*, Tadiwanashe Marumani 34, Ryan Burl 23, Sikandar Raza 45; Dasun Shanaka 1-26, Dushan Hemantha 2-36, Dunith Wellalage 1-27) beat Sri Lanka 178 for 7  in 20 overs (Pathum Nissanka 62, Kusal Perera 22, Kusal Mendis 14, Pavan  Rathnayake 44, Dunith Wellalage 15*; Blessing Muzarabani 2-38, Graeme Cremer 2-27, Brad  Evans 2-35) by six wickets

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Hope’s 75, Forde and Joseph’s wickets help West Indies go into playoffs unconquered

Published

on

By

Shai Hope brought up a 28-ball half-century [Cricinfo]

West Indies headed into the Super Eight of the T20 World Cup unbeaten after successfully defending 165 against Italy at Eden Gardens on Thursday. Spinners Chrishan Kalugamage and Ben Manenti impressed with the ball, and were backed up by some sharp fielding, but the batters couldn’t get the Italian job done.

While Italy exited their maiden World Cup with a win against Nepal and many memories to cherish, West Indies sealed their fourth successive win at the venue where they will face India in their final Super Eight fixture on March 1.

Italy may have sensed an opportunity for another win when they stifled West Indies’ power-packed middle order, but Marrhew Forde’s twin strikes in the powerplay decisively tilted the game in West Indies’ favour. Bowling three overs on the bounce, Forde dismissed both Justin Mosca and No. 3 Syed Naqvi, helping West Indies restrict Italy to 37 for 3 in six overs. Shamar Joseph then bagged four wickets to go with his four catches as Italy were bowled out for 123.

The win was set up by Shai Hope, who hit back-to-back half-centuries and dominated the early exchanges with an array of off-side drives. West Indies lost steam after Hope departed for 75 off 46 balls, but they regained it through their bowlers.

After West Indies were asked to bat first, they hit seven boundaries in the powerplay, and Hope was responsible for all of those. By the eighth over, the West Indies captain had zoomed to a 28-ball half-century. The first boundary by a West Indies player not named “Shai Hope” came in the tenth over when Roston Chase backed away and lifted left-arm spinner JJ Smuts over extra-cover.

Hope peppered the off side, scoring 46 of his 75 runs in that region. Anything that was remotely full and outside off was crashed in the arc between mid-off and point. When Italy dragged their lengths back, Hope was ready for it as well. Like when left-arm seamer Ali Hasan banged one into his upper body, Hope swatted him away over square leg for six in the fourth over. Hope was particularly severe on right-arm fast bowler Thomas Draca, taking him for 20 off nine balls.

Italy finally stopped him in the 16th over when legspinner Kalugagame bowled him with a tossed-up wrong’un.

Brief scores:
West Indies 165 for 6 in 20 overs  (Shai Hope 75, Roston Chase 24, Sherfane Rutherford 24*, Matthew Forde 16*; Ali Hasan 1-24, Thomas Draca 1-22, Chrishan Kalugamage 2-25, Ben Manenti 2-37) beat Italy 123 in 18 overs  (Anthony Mosca 19, JJ Smuts 24, Ben Manenti 26, Grant Stewart 12;  Akeal Hosein 1-25, Shamar Joseph 4-30, Matthew Forde 3-19, Gudakesh Motie 2-24) by 42 runs

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Sri Lanka opt to bat against Zimbabwe, play Madushanka and Madushan

Published

on

By

Dilshan Madushanka had replaced the injured Matheesha Pathirana in Sri Lanka's squad

Sri Lanka won the toss at the party at Premadasa and decided to bat first. Both, the hosts and Zimbabwe, are through to the Super Eight already, but for Sri Lanka it was important to get in their injury replacements.

The big one, of course, was Matheesha Pathirana, whose tournament ended with a calf injury sustained during the match against Australia. His replacement in the squad, Dilshan Madushanka, came straight into the XI. Also given a look-in was Pramod Madushan, the fast bowler who was already in the squad. In order to organise this virtual bowl-off between Madushan and Madushanka, Sri Lanka rested their lead fast bowler Dushmantha Chameera.

Zimbabwe made no change to the XI that shocked Australia in this World Cup. They were looking to bowl first anyway because of the forecast for some drizzle later on, and hoping to bat in better batting conditions once the lights came on.

Sri Lanka: Pathum Nissanka,  Kusal Perera,  Kusal Mendis (wk), Pavan Rathnayake, Dasun Shanaka (capt),  Kamindu Mendis,  Dunith Wellalage,  Dushan Hemantha, Maheesh Theekshana,  Pramod Madushan,  Dilshan Madushanka

Zimbabwe:  Brian Bennett, Tadiwanashe Marumani (wk),  Dion Myers,  Sikandar Raza (capt),  Ryan Burl,  Tony Munyonga,  Tashinga Musekiwa, Brad Evans, Wellington Masakadza,  Graeme Cremer,  Blessing Muzarabani

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Trending