Connect with us

News

Whereabouts of NTJ bomber Hastun’s wife still a mystery

Published

on

Outgoing HR Chief says missing girl’s mother never mentioned Zahran

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka (HRCSL) said Rajaratnam Kavitha, mother of P. Pulasthini (24) wife of Thowheed Jamaat suicide bomber Atchchi Muhammadu Hastun hadn’t informed the HRCSL Office in Batticaloa of Zahran Hashim’s involvement in the disappearance of her daughter.

Outgoing HRCSL Chairperson Dr. Deepika Udagama told The Island that there hadn’t been any reference to Zahran when Kavitha visited the Regional Office on April 17, 2019, four days before the Easter attacks.

Dr. Udagama was responding to The Island query whether the Regional Office informed Colombo of receiving a complaint as regards the missing young woman. The Island raised the issue with Dr. Udagama in the wake of Kavitha‘s testimony before the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (P CoI) in late last month.

Kavitha said that she visited the HRCSL Regional Office in Batticaloa after the Kaluwanchikudy and Kattankudy Police stations declined to accept her complaints. Kavitha said: I informed an officer there that I had found out my daughter was with Zahran. At that moment he said he knew Zahran and that there was nothing to be scared of since Zahran was a normal person.” Kavitha also quoted the HRCSL official as having said there was no need to lodge a complaint and that he would look into the matter.

The PCoI was told that Pulasthini fled to India following the blast. Intelligence services are in the process of verifying controversial testimony before the PCoI. However, authorities are yet to reach a conclusion on Pulasthini’s whereabouts against the backdrop of initial reports she perished in

Sainthamaruthu blast that claimed the lives of several Thowheed Jamaat cadres.

Q: Did HRCSL receive a complaint in this regard or any information regarding Kavitha’s visit to HRCSL Regional Office?

A: We obtained a detailed report on the matter from our Batticaloa Regional Office. It also includes the log entry relating to the visit of Ms. Kavitha to the Regional Office on 17 April, 2020. According to our records, one Ms. Kavitha of Mankadu, Cettipalayam had visited our Batticaloa Regional Office on 17 April, 2019 accompanied by a male. Her complaint was that her daughter P. Pulasthini (age 24) had gone away with a young man from the Muslim community and had married him in 2015, and that her whereabouts were not known. She had appealed to the HRCSL to assist in finding her. As the matter was of a private nature, our officer had informed Ms. Kavitha that it did not fall within the HRCSL’s statutory mandate. Ms. Kavitha had been advised to seek the assistance of the police to find her daughter. At that point the mother had not informed of any attempts to complain to the police or of any inaction on the part of the police. If that were the case the complaint would have been registered.

In her complaint Ms. Kavitha had stated that one Razik from a Muslim organization was having influence over her daughter’s family life. There had been no mention of a Zahran. In fact, as a gesture of assistance our officer had called a telephone number provided by Ms. Kavitha which was said to be that of Razik. He had denied knowledge of Pulasthini’s whereabouts and had mentioned that the parents had complained to Maligawatta police station about the matter and that the police including CID had questioned him in that regard. As there was nothing out of the ordinary about the complaint, the HRCSL Colombo had not been informed. That is the regular procedure.

Q: Did PCoI ask HRCSL personnel to appear before it? And if not, will you be inquiring into this (in the wake of PCoI revelation.

A: No, we have not been summoned by the PCoI. The records from our Batticaloa office, in our opinion, do not give rise to any issue that requires further investigation.

Q: Did HRCSL inquire into Easter Sunday tragedy or receive complaints as regards the government’s failure to thwart the carnage?

A: Even in the absence of a complaint, the HRCSL could investigate this matter on its own initiative (per S.14 of HRCSL Act, No 21 of 1996). However, we are aware that the same issue is being canvassed before the Supreme Court via FR petition by at least one aggrieved party. When a matter is canvassed before the Supreme Court in a FR application, the Commission does not conduct a parallel inquiry. The decision of the SC is binding on all parties.

Pulasthini’s husband carried out the attack on St. Sebastian church, Katuwapitiya where over 100 people perished.

Dr. Udagama confirmed the announcement made by the Constitutional Council on Monday (3) regarding her decision to quit the post. Head of Department of Law Faculty of University of Peradeniya, Dr. Udagama received the appointment in Oct 2015.

The Constitutional Council said that Dr. Udagama tendered her resignation from the post of chairperson of the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka with effect from September 2020.

The CC Chairman informed the Constitutional Council that the Human Rights Commission was rated as one of the best in the world and that he would like to convey the appreciation to its Chairman Dr Udagama and the members of the commission for the exceptional achievement.

 



News

“Investments in Professional Education Are Investments in Institutional Strength and National Progress” – PM

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya stated that strengthening Sri Lanka’s professional education framework and aligning it with internationally recognised standards is essential to building a skilled, ethical, and globally competitive workforce.

The Prime Minister made these remarks while addressing the official launch of the QS-accredited Chartered Qualification in Human Resource Management (CQHRM) at SCQF Level 11 (New Syllabus), organised by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) Sri Lanka under the theme New Heights of Recognition. The event was held on Wednesday, 18 February at the Cinnamon Life, Colombo.

Emphasising the importance of expanding professional and vocational education pathways, the Prime Minister stated:

“This is of crucial importance to us in broadening our educational pathways and opportunities. We need to increase access to education that is globally recognised and that offers multiple pathways in professional and vocational fields. This aligns closely with the reform process we have initiated in the education sector and with our commitment to lifelong learning where individuals can work and learn at the same time, and where education is not limited to a particular age group but continues throughout life.”

Highlighting Sri Lanka’s national priorities, the Prime Minister further observed:

“At a time when Sri Lanka is focused on economic recovery, institutional reform and sustainable growth, the need for competent and ethical human resource leadership is clear. A competitive economy depends not only on investment and infrastructure but also on skilled professionals who can lead institutions effectively.”

The Prime Minister noted that the QS accreditation of the CQHRM qualification strengthens international recognition of Sri Lankan human resource professionals, enhances professional progression pathways, and reinforces confidence in the country’s professional education system. She also underscored the role of human resource leadership in advancing equity and inclusion within workplaces, including fair recruitment practices, safe working environments, leadership development for women, and inclusive policies for persons with disabilities and neurodivergent individuals.

Addressing the future of work, the Prime Minister stressed the importance of preparing for rapid technological transformation, including the growing impact of artificial intelligence on industries and workforce management, encouraging institutions to proactively adapt to emerging demands.

The event was attended by Deputy Minister of Industry and Entrepreneurship Development, Chathuranga Abeysinghe, along with other distinguished guests.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Advisory for Severe Lightning issued to the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts

Published

on

By

Advisory for Severe Lightning
Issued by the Natural Hazards Early Warning Centre  at 12.00 noon 19 February 2026 valid for the period until 11.00 p.m. 19 February 2026

The public are warned that thundershowers accompanied with severe lightning are likely to occur at some places in in the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts after 2.00 p.m.

There may be temporary localized strong winds during thundershowers.

General public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.

ACTION REQUIRED:

The Department of Meteorology advises that people should:
 Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
 Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms.
 Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
 Avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc.
 Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
 For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.

Continue Reading

News

Navy and Coast Guard seize 04 Indian fishing vessels poaching in Sri Lankan waters

Published

on

By

During operations conducted in the dark hours of 18 Feb 26, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard seized 04 Indian fishing boats and apprehended 22 Indian fishermen, while they were poaching in Sri Lankan waters north of Mannar and off the Delft Island, Jaffna.

Recognizing the detrimental effects of poaching on marine resources and the livelihoods of local fishing communities, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard continue to conduct regular operations as proactive measures to deter such activities. These efforts underscore the collective robust approach and steadfast commitment to safeguarding the nation’s marine ecosystems while ensuring the economic security and wellbeing of its citizens.

The 02 fishing boats along with the 10 fishermen held in Mannar were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Mannar and the remaining 02 fishing boats intercepted off the Delft Island, together with 12 Indian fishermen were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Myliddy for onward legal proceedings.

Continue Reading

Trending