News
US rescinds security alert on Arugam Bay area

“Sri Lanka is a peaceful destination ahead of upcoming tourist season” – FM
The United States yesterday (13) lifted the security alert on the Arugam Bay area, following close collaboration with the Sri Lankan side and the immediate and extensive security measures put in place by the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of Public Security and related agencies.
The text of Foreign Ministry statement: “Sri Lanka takes any security alert seriously, and accordingly the Sri Lankan authorities promptly implemented a series of coordinated security measures in the area to safeguard tourists, foreigners and residents against any possible threat.
Detailed instructions were given by Sri Lanka Police to maintain security in the Arugam Bay area while emphasising the importance of safeguarding the freedom of tourists. The residents of the concerned areas as well as owners of tourist establishments and all persons engaged in the field of tourism cooperated closely with the Sri Lanka Police in these efforts.
At a meeting held at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Minister Vijitha Herath together with all related defence and public security agencies, briefed the Heads of Diplomatic Missions directly concerned, regarding the extensive measures by the Sri Lankan side, and urged the removal of the security alert and related travel advisories.
This request was reiterated by Foreign Minister Herath yesterday. The US side rescinded the security alert this afternoon stating that the USA values the “strong partnership with the Government of Sri Lanka and law enforcement”.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs reiterates that Sri Lanka is a peaceful, beautiful and friendly destination for tourists ahead of the upcoming tourist season.”
News
EC asked to ensure level playing field at LG polls; complaint lodged against President AKD

Eksath Janaraja Peramuna (EJP) yesterday complained to the Election Commission (EC) regarding President Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s recent threat that the government would release funds only to local government bodies to be won by a clean party at the May 06 LG polls.
The EJP, led by former Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, complained that President Dissanayake has claimed during a public rally at Weligama that the NPP was the only clean party.
The EJP is contesting 37 LG bodies at the forthcoming election.
The new party said that the rights of the other contesting political parties and groups had been violated by the President.
The EJP asked the EC to ensure a level playing field
Having handed over their complaint, EJP spokesman Theekshana Gammanpila told the media outside the EC office that Anura Kumara Dissanayake had won last year’s presidential election and then the parliamentary election as the then government ensured a free and fair election. But now President Dissanayake was making a despicable attempt to influence the electorate in the run-up to the vital mini polls. Gammanpila alleged that the President’s intervention could have a far reaching impact on the electorate.
The EJP spokesman emphasised the responsibility on the part of the EC to intervene and take tangible measures to prevent President Dissanayake from manipulating the electorate to their advantage. (SF)
News
Former CM, and private secretary sentenced to 16 years RI for corruption

Former North Central Province Chief Minister S. M. Ranjith and his private secretary Shanthi, who is his brother, former Minister S.M. Chandrasena’s wife, were yesterday (02) sentenced to 16 years rigorous imprisonment after being found guilty of corruption charges. They were also ordered to pay a fine of Rs. 200,000 each.
The judgment was delivered by Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendi.
They were convicted on charges filed by the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption.
S.M. Ranjith was found guilty of enabling Shanti to secure an additional fuel allowance between Sept 2012 and Dec 2014 to the tune of Rs 2.68 mn.
News
Traditional Japanese musical concert and cultural performance

The Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka hosted a concert of Japanese traditional music by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra featuring the performers of NYSC on 28th March in honour of the visit of Most. Ven. Ohtani Chohjun Nayaka Hamuduruwo, the 25th Head Priest of Higashi Hongan-ji Grand Temple.
The event featured a Japanese tea ceremony and breathtaking musical performances by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra, showcasing traditional Japanese instruments such as the Koto and Shamisen. The evening was further enriched by violin and vibrant dance performances by students from the National Youth Council (NYSC) and Lanka Nippon Biztech Institute (LNBTI).
This cultural celebration further strengthened the deep ties between Japan and Sri Lanka, offering a unique experience of Japanese tradition and heritage.
-
Sports5 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News4 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
News6 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Business7 days ago
AIA Higher Education Scholarships Programme celebrating 30-year journey
-
News5 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Sports13 hours ago
To play or not to play is Richmond’s decision
-
Features5 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Features5 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know