Connect with us

Latest News

Trump unhurt after shots fired at White House correspondents’ dinner

Published

on

US President Donald Trump speaks during a news conference at the White House in Washington, DC, on April 25, 2026 [Aljazeera]

United States President Donald Trump was evacuated from the White House correspondents’ dinner in Washington, DC, after shots were fired outside the event.

Trump was rushed offstage at the Washington Hilton hotel on Saturday evening after gunfire broke out outside the ballroom where the annual media gala was taking place.

The president, First Lady Melania Trump, and Trump’s Cabinet were unharmed in the attack.

In a news conference after the incident, Trump said a man armed with multiple weapons had charged a security checkpoint and was “taken down” by the Secret Service.

Trump described the suspect as a “very sick person” and a “thug” who had attacked the US Constitution.

A Secret Service officer was shot in the attack, but he was saved by his bulletproof vest and was “doing great”, Trump said.

“As you know, this is not the first time in the past couple of years that our republic has been attacked by a would-be assassin who sought to kill,” the president said.

“In light of this evening’s events, I ask that all Americans recommit with their hearts in resolving our differences peacefully,” Trump said.

Asked by a reporter if he believed he was the target of the attack, Trump responded: “I guess”.

SS
Agents draw their guns at the Washington Hilton in Washington, DC, on April 25, 2026 [Aljazeera]

The Secret Service said the shooting had occurred at a “screening area” and that one individual was in custody.

“The condition of those involved is not yet known, and law enforcement is actively assessing the situation,” the agency said.

Shortly before his news conference, Trump posted images on Truth Social of the suspect face down on the ground, as well as a clip of a surveillance video showing a man running past security personnel, who then drew their guns and opened fire.

Jeanine Ferris Pirro, the US attorney for the District of Columbia, said the suspect would be charged with using a firearm during a crime or violence and assault on federal officers using a dangerous weapon.

FBI director Kash Patel said officers had begun examining the suspect’s background and urged members of the public with any relevant information to come forward.

“No piece of information is too small; no piece of information is inadequate. We will evaluate it all,” Patel said.

Multiple US media outlets identified the suspect as Cole Tomas Allen, 31, of Torrance, California.

Trump, a ferocious critic of journalists who has sued multiple media outlets, had been due to speak at the annual celebration of press freedom for the first time as president.

Footage from the dinner’s venue showed Trump and other attendees taking cover behind their table after shots rang out, as people yelled “Get down!” and “Stay down!”

Trump was then rushed from the scene as heavily armed members of his security detail swarmed the table.

Al Jazeera producer Chris Sheridan said he heard what he believed to be five gunshots outside the ballroom.

“We could smell the powder. We immediately dove to the ground. It was directly behind me,” Sheridan said.

“I couldn’t tell how many feet away, but it was definitely behind the doors to the entrance to the ballroom.”

Sheridan said that while there was “airport-level” security around the ballroom itself, anyone with a ticket to the dinner could enter the hotel and descend to the lower level where the ballroom is located.

“You could have gotten down to the lower level, the ballroom level, and been outside,” he said.

Trump 3
Armed commandos stand by as special guests are evacuated from the back of the Washington Hilton in Washington, DC, on April 25, 2026 [Aljazeera]

 

World leaders including Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi and Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum condemned the attack and expressed their relief that Trump was unharmed.

“Violence has no place in a democracy and must be unequivocally condemned,” Modi said in a post on X.

Trump has been targeted in multiple assassination attempts, including a near-miss shooting during his 2024 presidential campaign.

Thomas Crooks fired eight shots at Trump during a campaign event in Butler, Pennsylvania, killing one bystander and wounding the then-candidate’s right ear, before he was shot dead by the Secret Service.

“Today, we need levels of security that probably nobody has ever seen before,” Trump said at Saturday’s news conference, before pledging to reschedule the press dinner.

“We’re not going to cancel things out, because we can’t do that,” Trump said.

“We wanted to stay tonight. I will tell you, I fought like hell to stay… But it was protocol. They said, ‘Please, sir.’”

[Aljazeeera]



Latest News

Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years

Published

on

By

A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.

Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.

It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.

Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.

His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.

Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

Latest News

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit

Published

on

By

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).

The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.

During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Landslide early warnings issued to the Districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura

Published

on

By

The National Building Research Institute [NBRI] has issued Landslide Early Warnings to the Districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura valid upto 0900 AM on 23rd May 2026.

Accordingly,
LEVEL I [RED] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of  Deraniyagala, Ruwanwella and Dehiowita in the Kegalle district and Ratnapura, Ayagama, Kuruwita and Eheliyagoda in the Ratnapura district.

LEVEL II [AMBER] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Seethawaka and Padukka in the Colombo district, Attanagalla in the Gampaha district,  Horana, Bulathsinhala, Ingiriya and  Palindanuwara in the  Kalutara district, Yatiyanthota in the Kegalle district and Pelmadulla,  Kiriella,  Elapatha,  Kalawana and Nivithigala in the Rathnapura district.

LEVEL I [YELLOW] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Mirigama and Divulapitiya in the Gampaha district, Agalawatta and Mathugama in the Kalutara district, Bulathkohupitiya in the Kegalle district and Ambagamuwa in the Nuwara Eliya district.

 

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending