Latest News
Trump and Xi discuss future of TikTok in US
US President Donald Trump has said he and Chinese Premier Xi Jinping approved a deal on the future of TikTok’s US operations during a phone call on Friday, although there was no confirmation from Beijing.
Trump wrote on Truth Social the call was “productive” and he “appreciated” Xi’s approval of deal, which would reportedly see TikTok’s US business sold to a group of US investors.
China’s official state news agency Xinjua left the outcome of their discussion less clear, with Xi quoted as saying that Beijing “welcomes negotiations over TikTok”.
TikTok, which is run by Chinese firm Bytedance, was previously told it had to sell its US operations or risk being shut down.
Trump, however, delayed implementing the ban four times since it was first announced in January, and earlier this week extended the deadline again to December.
In his post, Trump wrote the two had “made progress” on trade issues and would meet at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) summit, scheduled to begin at the end of October in South Korea, and said he would travel to China.
“I also agreed with President Xi that we would meet at the Apec Summit in South Korea, that I would go to China in the early part of next year,” Trump said, adding that Xi would travel to the US at “an appropriate time”.
Trump told reporters on Friday afternoon that a deal still had to be signed, and signalled there could be a formal process to do so soon.
“We look forward to getting that deal closed,” he said, adding that the US would have “very tight control” of the app.
That deal will reportedly see a group of US firms – said to include Oracle, which was co-founded by Trump ally Larry Ellison – that would enable TikTok to continue operating in the US, using algorithm technology licensed from ByteDance.
A sticking point in negotiations appears to be who will own the powerful algorithm that pushes content to TikTok’s 170 million American users.
Speaking alongside British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer in the UK on Thursday, Trump sidestepped a question from a reporter about whether an American buyer would need to build a new algorithm, or if they could continue to use the current algorithm.
Trump added he believes TikTok has “tremendous value” to the US.
“The people that are investing it are among the greatest investors in the world,” he said. “And they’ll do a great job – and we’re doing it in conjunction with China.”
Xinhua reported that China’s position on TikTok is “very clear” and that it welcomed firms to “conduct commercial negotiations based on market rules and reach solutions that comply with Chinese laws and regulations and a balance of interests”.
“We hope that the US will provide an open, fair and non-discriminatory business environment for Chinese companies to invest in the United States,” it added.
A statement by ByteDance on Friday cast further doubt on the status of a deal.
“ByteDance will work in accordance with applicable laws to ensure TikTok remains available to American users through TikTok US,” a ByteDance spokesperson said.
The spokesperson thanked both presidents for “their efforts to preserve TikTok in the United States”.
Many US lawmakers – including some from within Trump’s own party – have expressed unease with the prospect of a deal, citing ongoing concerns about ByteDance’s links with the Chinese Communist Party, or CCP.
“I am concerned the reported licensing deal may involve ongoing reliance by the new TikTok on a ByteDance algorithm that could allow continued CCP control or influence,” Michigan Republican representative John Moolenar, chair of the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party, said in a statement.
While Trump initially called for TikTok to be banned during his first term, he has changed course, and on Thursday said he viewed the platform as a key part of his 2024 electoral campaign.
In January, the US Supreme Court upheld a law first passed in early 2024, banning the app unless ByteDance divested from its US operations. The app went “dark” only briefly at the time, before the ban was delayed.
The US Department of Justice previously expressed concerns that TikTok’s access to the data of US users posed a national security threat of “immense depth and scale”.
The call between Xi and Trump is the second so far this year.
In June, the two leaders spoke to discuss China’s export of rare earth minerals, resulting in China agreeing to approve a “certain number” of export permits to US companies, as well as the magnets made from them.
Chinese and US officials have held four rounds of talks in recent months, and so far held off on implementing extremely high tariffs and strict export controls.
The US has already imposed 20% tariffs on some Chinese goods it says are linked to fentanyl trafficking.
Other thorny issues – including tech export restrictions and Chinese purchases of US agricultural products – so far remain unresolved.
[BBC]
Latest News
Landslide early warnings issued to the Districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura
The National Building Research Institute [NBRI] has issued Landslide Early Warnings to the Districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura valid upto 0900 AM on 23rd May 2026.
Accordingly,
LEVEL I [RED] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Deraniyagala, Ruwanwella and Dehiowita in the Kegalle district and Ratnapura, Ayagama, Kuruwita and Eheliyagoda in the Ratnapura district.
LEVEL II [AMBER] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Seethawaka and Padukka in the Colombo district, Attanagalla in the Gampaha district, Horana, Bulathsinhala, Ingiriya and Palindanuwara in the Kalutara district, Yatiyanthota in the Kegalle district and Pelmadulla, Kiriella, Elapatha, Kalawana and Nivithigala in the Rathnapura district.
LEVEL I [YELLOW] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Mirigama and Divulapitiya in the Gampaha district, Agalawatta and Mathugama in the Kalutara district, Bulathkohupitiya in the Kegalle district and Ambagamuwa in the Nuwara Eliya district.
Latest News
Minor flood situation likely to occur within the next few hours in the low-lying floodplain areas of the Kalu River
Based on the heavy rainfall currently being received in the Kalu River Basin and the analysis of water level data recorded at hydrological gauging stations maintained by the Irrigation Department within the Kalu River Basin, it is hereby warned that a Minor Flood Situation is likely to occur within the next
few hours in the low-lying floodplain areas of the Kalu River.
The affected areas include the Divisional Secretariat Divisions of Ratnapura, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Elapatha, Kiriella in Ratnapura District.
The public residing in these areas, as well as motorists and passengers travelling through the affected regions, are strongly requested to act with utmost vigilance and to take all necessary
precautions. Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take necessary actions in this regard.
Latest News
Flood warning issued to low lying areas of the Aththanagalu Oya and Uruwal Oya valleys
A considerable rainfall has occurred in the catchment areas of the Aththanagalu Oya Basin as atb5.00 AM today (22).
By analyzing the current rainfall situation and river water levels of Hydrological Stations on the Aththanagalu Oya, there is a possibility of a flood situation occuring in some low lying
areas of the Aththanagalu Oya and Uruwal Oya valleys situated in Diwulapitiya, Mirigama, Attanagalla, Mahara, Gampaha, Minuwangoda, Ja-ela, Katana and Wattala Div8sional Secretaries Divisions within next 48 hours.
Owing to this situation, there is a possibility of some of the roads running through these lowlying areas being inundated at some places.
The public residing in these areas, as well as motorists traveling through these regions, are requested to exercise extreme caution regarding this situation.
-
Features5 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News5 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News5 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features2 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business5 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News1 day agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News5 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
