News
TRC can ban websites without court orders, judge tells police

Rape of small girl: Navy Cardiologist remanded
A cardiologist attached to the Welisara Navy Camp holding the rank of Lt. Commander, taken into custody for the rape of a 15-year-old girl, was yesterday remanded by the Colombo Chief Magistrate’s Court until July 19.
The Police Children and Women’s Bureau told court that the naval officer, a medical practitioner by profession, had met the victim at the Liberty Plaza building in Kollupitiya and taken her to a hotel in Mount Lavinia, where he abused her.
The police have named him as the 32nd suspect in the case relating to an organised sexual exploitation racket. Police told the court that most of the suspects taken into custody were between 40 and 50 years of age. Over 30 persons, including the girl’s mother, have been remanded so far.
Among the suspects in custody are former Maldives State Minister of Finance Mohamed Ashmalee, Deputy Chairman of the Mihintale Pradeshiya Sabha and a leading gem businessman
The alleged offence comes under section 363 (e) of the Penal Code. Sexual intercourse with a female under 16 years of age is rape whether committed with or without the consent of the girl.
Colombo Additional Magistrate Lochana Abeywickrama permitted the suspect to make a voluntary statement regarding the incident on July 9. Additional Magistrate made the order following a request made by defence counsel that his client was ready to make a voluntary statement.
The Additional Magistrate rejected a request made by police for banning four websites which published advertisement of women being offered for prostitution. The Additional Magistrate observed that the Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka was vested with powers to ban such websites without obtaining court orders.
A trishaw driver arrested for allegedly providing transportation to procure the girl for prostitution was also remanded by the Additional Magistrate until 19 July.
News
EC asked to ensure level playing field at LG polls; complaint lodged against President AKD

Eksath Janaraja Peramuna (EJP) yesterday complained to the Election Commission (EC) regarding President Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s recent threat that the government would release funds only to local government bodies to be won by a clean party at the May 06 LG polls.
The EJP, led by former Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, complained that President Dissanayake has claimed during a public rally at Weligama that the NPP was the only clean party.
The EJP is contesting 37 LG bodies at the forthcoming election.
The new party said that the rights of the other contesting political parties and groups had been violated by the President.
The EJP asked the EC to ensure a level playing field
Having handed over their complaint, EJP spokesman Theekshana Gammanpila told the media outside the EC office that Anura Kumara Dissanayake had won last year’s presidential election and then the parliamentary election as the then government ensured a free and fair election. But now President Dissanayake was making a despicable attempt to influence the electorate in the run-up to the vital mini polls. Gammanpila alleged that the President’s intervention could have a far reaching impact on the electorate.
The EJP spokesman emphasised the responsibility on the part of the EC to intervene and take tangible measures to prevent President Dissanayake from manipulating the electorate to their advantage. (SF)
News
Former CM, and private secretary sentenced to 16 years RI for corruption

Former North Central Province Chief Minister S. M. Ranjith and his private secretary Shanthi, who is his brother, former Minister S.M. Chandrasena’s wife, were yesterday (02) sentenced to 16 years rigorous imprisonment after being found guilty of corruption charges. They were also ordered to pay a fine of Rs. 200,000 each.
The judgment was delivered by Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendi.
They were convicted on charges filed by the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption.
S.M. Ranjith was found guilty of enabling Shanti to secure an additional fuel allowance between Sept 2012 and Dec 2014 to the tune of Rs 2.68 mn.
News
Traditional Japanese musical concert and cultural performance

The Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka hosted a concert of Japanese traditional music by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra featuring the performers of NYSC on 28th March in honour of the visit of Most. Ven. Ohtani Chohjun Nayaka Hamuduruwo, the 25th Head Priest of Higashi Hongan-ji Grand Temple.
The event featured a Japanese tea ceremony and breathtaking musical performances by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra, showcasing traditional Japanese instruments such as the Koto and Shamisen. The evening was further enriched by violin and vibrant dance performances by students from the National Youth Council (NYSC) and Lanka Nippon Biztech Institute (LNBTI).
This cultural celebration further strengthened the deep ties between Japan and Sri Lanka, offering a unique experience of Japanese tradition and heritage.
-
Sports4 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News3 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
News5 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Business6 days ago
AIA Higher Education Scholarships Programme celebrating 30-year journey
-
News4 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Features4 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Sports11 hours ago
To play or not to play is Richmond’s decision
-
Features4 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know