Connect with us

News

Threat to Israelis: No bombs or explosives with Lankan suspects

Published

on

A man watches his mobile phone about news that the National Security Council advised tourists to leave Arugam bay area in Colombo on October 24, 2024. Three Sri Lankans had been arrested following intelligence reports indicating security threats to Israeli nationals in Sri Lanka, Public Security Minister Vijitha Herath said during a press conference in Colombo on Thursday. CNP PHOTO / LAKRUWAN WANNIARACHCHI (Ceylon News Pix)

Only four of 168 Israelis here in Arugam Bay; biz competition among resort owners?

By Rathindra Kuruwita

No firearms or explosives were found in the possession of three Sri Lankans arrested following intelligence reports indicating potential security threats to Israeli nationals in Sri Lanka, police sources said on Friday.

According to police intelligence, Indian intelligence agencies had alerted Sri Lankan authorities in early October about possible attacks on Israelis in the country. At that time, 168 Israeli nationals were present in Sri Lanka, with only four staying in Arugam Bay.

Intelligence officials discovered that the Israelis based in Arugam Bay had been encouraging Christian foreign tourists staying in resorts owned by Maldivian and Sri Lankan Muslim proprietors to relocate to alternative resorts. Additionally, some Israelis in Sri Lanka were overstaying their visas and engaging in business activities.

Intelligence operatives have since located all Israelis in Sri Lanka and compiled a database with their contact details before the issuance of travel advisories by the US and other countries, sources reported. The Israeli government has also advised its citizens in Sri Lanka to return home.

Addressing a press conference in Colombo on Thursday, Public Security Minister Vijitha Herath stated that the three suspects had been arrested based on suspicion, without any explosives or firearms in their possession. He emphasised that security agencies needed more time to investigate and verify the threat’s accuracy. “We are still working to confirm whether the information about a possible attack on Israelis is accurate,” he said.

Minister Herath noted that due to the ongoing conflict in West Asia, the Sri Lankan government felt it necessary to implement additional safety measures for tourists in the country. Since Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s election as president a month ago, the National Security Council (NSC) has convened several times. During the second NSC meeting, intelligence agencies reported a potential threat to Israeli tourists, which prompted swift government action to safeguard tourists and locals alike. Herath added that, in response, the police, STF, and tri-forces had been deployed in key areas.



Latest News

Special Train Services during Sinhala and Tamil New Year

Published

on

By

The General Manager of Railways has announced that the following special train services will operate during the Sinhala and Tamil New Year period.

1. From Colombo Fort to Badulla – departing Colombo Fort at 1930 hrs on 11th, 12th, 19th and 20th April

2. From Badulla to Colombo Fort – departing Badulla at 1750 hrs on 11th, 12th, 19th and 20th April

3. From Galle to Anuradhapura – departing Galle at 0400 hrs on 12th and 13th April

4. From Anuradhapura to Galle – departing Anuradhapura at 1500  hrs on 12th and 13th April

5. From Colombo Fort to Galle – departing Colombo Fort at 120 hrs on 10th, 11th, 15th and 20th April

6. From Galle to Colombo Fort – departing Galle at 0610 hrs on 11th, 12th, 16th and 21st April

7. From Colombo Fort to Galle – departing Colombo Fort at 1330 hrs on 12th and 13th April

8. From Colombo Fort to Kankasanthurai [Intercity Express] – departing Colombo Fort at 0530 hrs on 11th and 18th April

9. From Kankasanthurai to Colombo Fort [Intercity Express] – departing Kankasanthurai at 1350 hrs on 11th and 18th April

10. From Beliatta to Colombo Fort – departing Beliatta at 0825 hrs on 12th, 13th, 18th, 19th and 20th April

Continue Reading

News

PM strengthens vocational education and economic ties with Germany

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya visited Hamburg, Germany, focusing on strengthening vocational education and economic partnerships between the two nations. During her visit, she participated in the 102nd East Asia Friendship Dinner, met with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and engaged in high-level discussions on investment, education, and economic reforms.

As a Guest of Honour at the German Asia-Pacific Business Association (OAV) annual gathering, Prime Minister Amarasuriya addressed an audience of business leaders and dignitaries, emphasizing Sri Lanka’s economic recovery and its potential as a growing investment destination. She highlighted the contributions of over 160 German companies in Sri Lanka and invited further collaboration in trade and business.

In her capacity as the Minister of Education, Higher Education, and Vocational Education, the Prime Minister delivered a keynote speech at the ’German-Asian Forum on Vocational Education & Training.’ She acknowledged Germany’s decades-long support in Sri Lanka’s vocational education sector and stressed the importance of modernizing vocational training to align with industry demands. Additionally, she visited ITECH vocational school and German research hubs such as NXP Semiconductors and DESY, discussing collaboration in IT and technology-driven industries.

During her discussions with President Steinmeier, Prime Minister Amarasuriya reiterated Sri Lanka’s commitment to economic stability, social protection, and national unity. She also attended a business roundtable, where she engaged with German companies and government representatives on economic expansion, digitalization, and sustainable development initiatives.

The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s Ambassador to Germany, Varuni Muthukumarana, and senior embassy officials.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]

Continue Reading

News

IGP under pressure to probe latest custodial death

Published

on

Nimesh

Attorney-at-Law Senaka Perera on behalf of the Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners (Guarantee) Limited has asked Acting IGP Priyantha Weerasooriya to inquire into the death of Sathsara Nimesh soon after he was admitted to the Mulleriyawa mental hospital by Welikada police on the night of April 1.

In a letter dated April 3 addressed to the IGP, the lawyer said that the victim’s mother Lekamwasam Liyanage Samanthi, who visited Welikada police station the following day, thad been old that her son made a bid to commit suicide at the police station. Quoting the victim’s mother the lawyer said that the clothes worn by Nimesh at the time he was taken into custody by Welikada police were found within the premises.

Responding to queries, the human rights activist said that Nimesh had been caught by a group of people at Nawala road, Welikada around 7.30 pm-8 pm on April 1. Alleging that Nimesh who had been undergoing training at a private hospital as a caregiver was acting suspiciously, the group called in the police on 119 emergency line and handed him over to the police, Perera said, urging the IGP to ensure that the police followed laid out procedures when dealing with suspects.

The Attorney-at-law said that the victim’s mother had visited Mulleriyawa hospital and was able to speak with a doctor who had been present at the time Nimesh was brought there. The doctor had told her that her son was barely alive at the time he was brought in. Perera alleged that Welikada police made an attempt to allude that Nimesh was mentally unsound. If the police had been genuinely concerned about Nimesh in case he was experiencing sudden difficulty, they should have rushed him to the National Hospital, Perera said.

Acknowledging the need to deal firmly with those who are on the wrong side of the law, the rights group said that the police couldn’t adopt Gestapo-style strategies.

The National People’s Power (NPP) government couldn’t turn a blind eye to what was going on regardless of the change of government in last Sept. There had been at least two recent deaths in police custody, Perera said, referring to an incident in the Kotahena police area in the third week of February this year.

Police shot dead two persons arrested over the killing of Shashi Kumar in a mobile phone shop at Kotahena. Police claimed that law enforcement men had to open fire when the suspects made an attempt to grab a weapon from an officer while being taken to a hideout to recover hidden guns.

Lawyer Perera said that police should be ashamed to repeat a blatant lie often used by them though they knew no one accepted that.

Political parties represented in parliament should take up this matter vigorously, he said, urging the government to put an end to custodial deaths, he said. The lawyer pointed out that the Supreme Court, too, has intervened in the matter and the issue was taken up at the highest level.

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Continue Reading

Trending