Connect with us

News

Speaker says foreign powers asked him to take over Presidency during Aragalaya

Published

on

Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena

By Saman Indrajith

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena yesterday revealed in Parliament that he had been asked by some foreign powers to take over the executive presidency while the country was in crisis owing to the Aragalaya protests.

“The objective of those who made that request was to create another Libya or Afghanistan here. They did not want to resolve the crisis or restore law and order to protect this country,” the Speaker said.

Making a speech soon after the defeat of a no-faith motion against him, Abeywardena said during the uprising many parties had pressured him to accept the post of Executive President. He said that there were both local and foreign forces. “I was asked to name a Prime Minister and Cabinet of ministers and rule the country.

“However, I was determined to uphold democracy,” the Speaker said, adding that he was surprised to see some of those who asked him to become the President of the country had signed the no-faith motion against him.

“When I rejected that call, they resorted to intimidation. There were threats too. Among those who exerted pressure on me were leading Bhikkhus and leaders of other religions. The then President Gotabaya Rajapaksa called me and sought my opinion on transferring power to me. However, I knew that if I accepted that position without powers vested in me by the Constitution to do so, this country would end up in anarchy,” he said.

Speaker Abeywardena said that about Rs 45 million had been spent on the debate on the no-confidence motion against him and it was a waste of money.

“This is not the first time a no confidence motion has been brought against a Speaker in our parliament. There were four previous instances. Among the charges against the Speakers in those motions were violating Standing orders and other statutory provisions. But for the first time, there has been an allegation of violating the Constitutional provisions, in the motion against me.

That charge has been levelled on the basis of my conduct at the CC voting to approve the appointment of the IGP.” The Speaker said on that occasion he had acted to safeguard national security as the country needed a permanent IGP.



News

EC asked to ensure level playing field at LG polls; complaint lodged against President AKD

Published

on

EJP spokesman Theekshana

Eksath Janaraja Peramuna (EJP) yesterday complained to the Election Commission (EC) regarding President Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s recent threat that the government would release funds only to local government bodies to be won by a clean party at the May 06 LG polls.

The EJP, led by former Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, complained that President Dissanayake has claimed during a public rally at Weligama that the NPP was the only clean party.

The EJP is contesting 37 LG bodies at the forthcoming election.

The new party said that the rights of the other contesting political parties and groups had been violated by the President.

The EJP asked the EC to ensure a level playing field

Having handed over their complaint, EJP spokesman Theekshana Gammanpila told the media outside the EC office that Anura Kumara Dissanayake had won last year’s presidential election and then the parliamentary election as the then government ensured a free and fair election. But now President Dissanayake was making a despicable attempt to influence the electorate in the run-up to the vital mini polls. Gammanpila alleged that the President’s intervention could have a far reaching impact on the electorate.

The EJP spokesman emphasised the responsibility on the part of the EC to intervene and take tangible measures to prevent President Dissanayake from manipulating the electorate to their advantage. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Former CM, and private secretary sentenced to 16 years RI for corruption

Published

on

Former Chief Minister of the North Central Province S.M. Ranjith and his brother S.M. Chandrasena’s wife Shanthi being taken to the prison vehicle after the Colombo High Court sentenced them to 16 years rigorous imprisonment. (Pix by Sujatha Jayaratne)

Former North Central Province Chief Minister S. M. Ranjith and his private secretary Shanthi, who is his brother, former Minister S.M. Chandrasena’s wife, were yesterday (02) sentenced to 16 years rigorous imprisonment after being found guilty of corruption charges. They were also ordered to pay a fine of Rs. 200,000 each.

The judgment was delivered by Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendi.

They were convicted on charges filed by the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption.

S.M. Ranjith was found guilty of enabling Shanti to secure an additional fuel allowance between Sept 2012 and Dec 2014 to the tune of Rs 2.68 mn.

Continue Reading

News

Traditional Japanese musical concert and cultural performance

Published

on

Traditional Japanese musicians in concert

The Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka hosted a concert of Japanese traditional music by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra featuring the performers of NYSC on 28th March in honour of the visit of Most. Ven. Ohtani Chohjun Nayaka Hamuduruwo, the 25th Head Priest of Higashi Hongan-ji Grand Temple.

The event featured a Japanese tea ceremony and breathtaking musical performances by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra, showcasing traditional Japanese instruments such as the Koto and Shamisen. The evening was further enriched by violin and vibrant dance performances by students from the National Youth Council (NYSC) and Lanka Nippon Biztech Institute (LNBTI).

This cultural celebration further strengthened the deep ties between Japan and Sri Lanka, offering a unique experience of Japanese tradition and heritage.

Continue Reading

Trending