Business
SL targeting more than I million Chinese tourists; 3000 Chinese athletes to participate in May marathon

By Ifham Nizam
Sri Lanka will go all out to get more than 1 million Chinese tourists to visit the island nation within the next few years, Sri Lanka Institute of Tourism and Hotel Management (SLITHM) chairman Shirantha Peiris said.
Peiris, who is involved in launching the tourism arm of what is referred to as the China Project, told The Island Financial Review that attracting Chinese visitors here is one of the prime objectives of the Project.
A study tour of China was organized by the Prime Minister’s office and the delegation was led by State Minister of Social Empowerment Anupa Pasqual.
Peiris added: ‘During the study tour I was able to connect, Agro Tourism / Home stays and discuss collaborations with hospitality & tourism institutes. I also had discussions with VP Chongqing Vocational Institute of Tourism on exchange programs.
‘I was involved in launching Sri Lanka’s Ni Hao Zhong Guo (China Project) Smart Tourism (System) Industry Education project.
‘As a result of these projects, we have already initiated a dialogue for a marathon to take place in Sri Lanka during the first week of May 2024, with 2000 – 3000 athletes participating from China. We will also have support staff and families accompanying the athletes. Sri Lankan athletes too will be invited to take part.
‘The first batch of Chinese tourists is due to arrive this month for leisure travel, while the second batch of some 5,000 is scheduled to visit in May to participate in the first Chinese marathon here.
‘With regard to the SLITHM degree program, we have successfully held the Institutional Review last year and gone through the Subject Review in January 2024. SLITHM is hoping to introduce the degree program for locals and international students in 2025, subject to all approvals, including Cabinet approval being granted.’
Speaking at a press briefing in Colombo on Wednesday, Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA) Director General Nalin Perera said the tourism sector is anticipating Rs. 7 billion in revenue this year.
‘Out of this, Rs. 5.18 billion will be from embarkation fees and a further Rs. 2,087 billion will be utilized from the Tourism Development Levy, he said.
Perera added: ‘Out of this amount, 70 per cent will go to the Sri Lanka Tourism Promotions Bureau (SLTPB) 14 per cent to the SLTDA, 12 per cent to the SLITHM and the rest to the Sri Lanka Conventions Bureau.
‘SLTPB is gearing up to introduce a fresh tourism brand — the Buddhist Trail, to tap into the rich cultural and religious heritage of the country. Marine tourism is another area into which we are planning go all out within the first quarter of this year.
‘The former initiative aims to highlight Sri Lanka’s deep-rooted Buddhist heritage and promote the island as a prominent pilgrimage destination on a global scale.’
SLTPB chairman Chalaka Gajabahu said: ‘Sri Lanka, as a Buddhist country, holds immense potential to establish a unique tourism brand that resonates globally.
‘At the developmental stage, the Buddhist Trail project aims to emulate the success of similar initiatives like India’s Buddhist Tourism Circuit and the Ramayana Trail. The Ravana concept too will be promoted.
‘The Buddhist Trail focuses on significant Buddhist sites countrywide.
“With the rich heritage, breath-taking landscapes and profound spiritual significance, Sri Lanka can emerge as a leading destination for Buddhist pilgrimages and cultural exploration on the global tourism map.
‘We will make Sri Lanka a more happening destination; 2024 is going to be a very positive year.’
‘The fresh initiatives by the tourism authorities aim to significantly boost tourism activities, with the goal of increasing the average daily spend of tourists to USD 500 from the current USD 160, putting Sri Lanka in league with luxury destinations like the Maldives.
‘As per the provisional data by the Central Bank, the earnings per tourists witnessed a rebound in January 2024. The earnings per tourist arrival have improved to USD 1,641 in January, from USD 1,580 in the 1H23 period. In the 2H23 period, the earnings dropped significantly.
‘This is a step-by-step process. It won’t happen overnight. The event calendar will feature a diverse range of activities, including a water festival, Ride for Ceylon and a ‘unique’ event in Sigiriya.
‘I can’t divulge more details of the Sigiriya event but I can say it will be a surprise.
‘Additionally, a key meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions (MICE) event is scheduled to be held in the south of Sri Lanka next year.’
Business
Trump tariffs trigger steepest US stocks drop since 2020 as China, EU vow to hit back

Global stocks have sunk, a day after President Donald Trump announced sweeping new tariffs that are forecast to raise prices and weigh on growth in the US and abroad.
Stock markets in the Asia-Pacific region fell for a second day, hot on the heels of the US S&P 500, which had its worst day since Covid crashed the economy in 2020.
Nike, Apple and Target were among big consumer names worst hit, all of them sinking by more than 9%.
At the White House, Trump told reporters the US economy would “boom” thanks to the minimum 10% tariff he plans to slap on imports in the hope of boosting federal revenues and bringing American manufacturing home.
The Republican president plans to hit products from dozens of other countries with far higher levies, including trade partners such as China and the European Union. China, which is facing an aggregate 54% tariff, and the EU, which faces duties of 20%, both vowed retaliation on Thursday.
Tariffs are taxes on goods imported from other countries, and Trump’s plan that he announced on Wednesday would hike such duties to some of the highest levels in more than 100 years.
The World Trade Organization said it was “deeply concerned”, estimating trade volumes could shrink as a result by 1% this year.
Traders expressed concern that the tariffs could stoke inflation and stall growth.
In early trading on Friday, Japan’s benchmark Nikkei 225 index fell by 1.8%, the Kospi in South Korea was around 1% lower and Australia’s ASX 200 dipped by 1.4%.
On Thursday, the S&P 500 – which tracks 500 of the biggest American firms – plunged 4.8%, shedding roughly $2tn in value.
The Dow Jones closed about 4% lower, while the Nasdaq tumbled roughly 6%. The US shares sell-off has been going on since mid-February amid trade war fears.
Earlier, the UK’s FTSE 100 share index dropped 1.5% and other European markets also fell, echoing declines from Japan to Hong Kong.
On Thursday at the White House, Trump doubled down on a high-stakes gambit aimed at reversing decades of US-led liberalisation that shaped the global trade order.
“I think it’s going very well,” he said. “It was an operation like when a patient gets operated on, and it’s a big thing. I said this would exactly be the way it is.”
He added: “The markets are going to boom. The stock is going to boom. The country is going to boom.”
Trump also said he was open to negotiating with trade partners on the tariffs “if somebody said we’re going to give you something that’s so phenomenal”.
On Thursday, Canada’s Prime Minister Mark Carney said that country would retaliate with a 25% levy on vehicles imported from the US.
Trump last month imposed tariffs of 25% on Canada and Mexico, though he did not announce any new duties on Wednesday against the North American trade partners.

Firms now face a choice of swallowing the tariff cost, working with partners to share that burden, or passing it on to consumers – and risking a drop in sales.
That could have a major impact as US consumer spending amounts to about 10% – 15% of the world economy, according to some estimates.
While stocks fell on Thursday, the price of gold, which is seen as a safer asset in times of turbulence, touched a record high of $3,167.57 an ounce at one point on Thursday, before falling back.
The dollar also weakened against many other currencies.
In Europe, the tariffs could drag down growth by nearly a percentage point, with a further hit if the bloc retaliates, according to analysts at Principal Asset Management.
In the US, a recession is likely to materialise without other changes, such as big tax cuts, which Trump has also promised, warned Seema Shah, chief global strategist at the firm.
She said Trump’s goals of boosting manufacturing would be a years-long process “if it happens at all”.
“In the meantime, the steep tariffs on imports are likely to be an immediate drag on the economy, with limited short-term benefit,” she said.
On Thursday, Stellantis, which makes Jeep, Fiat and other brands, said it was temporarily halting production at a factory in Toluca, Mexico and Windsor, Canada.
It said the move, a response to Trump’s 25% tax on car imports, would also lead to temporary layoffs of 900 people at five plants in the US that supply those factories.
On the stock market, Nike, which makes much of its sportswear in Asia, was among the hardest hit on the S&P, with shares down 14%.
Shares in Apple, which relies heavily on China and Taiwan, tumbled 9%.
Other retailers also fell, with Target down roughly 10%.
Motorbike maker Harley-Davidson – which was subject of retaliatory tariffs by the EU during Trump’s first term as president – fell 10%.
In Europe, shares in sportswear firm Adidas fell more than 10%, while stocks in rival Puma tumbled more than 9%.
Among luxury goods firms, jewellery maker Pandora fell more than 10%, and LVMH (Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy) dropped more than 3% after tariffs were imposed on the European Union and Switzerland.
“You’re seeing retailers get destroyed right now because tariffs extended to countries we did not expect,” said Jay Woods, chief global strategy at Freedom Capital Markets, adding that he expected more turbulence ahead.
[BBC]
Business
Overcoming initial delays, Sampur solar energy project becomes a reality

The long-anticipated Sampur solar energy project is finally set to break ground, marking a significant leap in Sri Lanka’s renewable energy ambitions. After years of delays and negotiations, the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) for the Surya Danavi 120 MW Solar Farm in Santhosapuram, Trincomalee District, was officially signed on April 1st between the National Thermal Power Corporation of India (NTPC) and the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB).
This initiative, spearheaded by Trincomalee Power Company Limited (TPCL), a 50:50 joint venture between NTPC and CEB, is expected to be a game-changer in the country’s energy landscape.
The project will be implemented in two phases. Phase 1 involves the installation of a 50 MW solar plant along with the construction of 37 km of 220 kV transmission lines connecting Sampur to Kappalthurai. In Phase 2, an additional 70 MW capacity will be added, complemented by 77 km of transmission lines extending from Kappalthurai to New Habarana.
President Anura Kumara Dissanayake played a crucial role in renegotiating the unit tariff to 5.97 US Cents, which includes a battery storage system to mitigate fluctuations in solar power generation.
According to Ministry of Energy Director General Eng. Pubudu Niroshan Hedigallage, this project is a testament to Sri Lanka’s commitment to renewable energy and energy security.
“For years, Sampur has been at the center of numerous energy debates. This project not only signifies the shift from fossil fuels to cleaner alternatives but also strengthens our grid resilience. The inclusion of battery storage makes this project particularly promising, said Hedigallage.
He further emphasized the importance of strategic partnerships in achieving energy sustainability. “Collaborations like the one between NTPC and CEB show the potential of cross-border energy projects. With India’s vast experience in solar energy, Sri Lanka can benefit immensely in terms of both technology transfer and cost efficiency.”
The Sampur region has long been embroiled in energy-related controversies. Previously earmarked for a coal power plant, the area saw fierce opposition from environmental activists and policy shifts that led to its cancellation. The transition from coal to solar in Sampur is seen as a redemption of sorts, aligning with global climate goals and Sri Lanka’s own commitment to increasing renewable energy in its power mix.
by Ifham Nizam
Business
SriLankan Airlines positioning Sri Lanka as a hub for culturally discerning travellers

SriLankan Airlines is amplifying its commitment to nurturing Sri Lanka’s performing arts scene, leveraging classical Western music and homegrown talent to position the island as a hub for culturally discerning travelers.
The national carrier partnered with the Gustav Mahler Society of Colombo (GMSC) to support the 2025 Spring Concert at Colombo’s Lionel Wendt Theatre on March 29.
The event showcased Sri Lankan classical guitarist Jude Peiris alongside Japanese artists Hiroshi Kogure (violin) and Miyuki Funatsu (soprano), blending local and global artistry. This marks the airline’s sixth collaboration with GMSC, reinforcing its three-year role as the society’s Official Airline Partner.
Dimuthu Tennakoon, Head of Commercial at SriLankan Airlines, emphasised the strategic value of performing arts saying: “World-class cultural productions can transform Sri Lanka into a magnet for travelers seeking immersive experiences. By honing local talent, we unlock immense potential in the growing cultural tourism sector.”
Deepal Perera, Manager of Corporate Communications, highlighted the airline’s dual role: “We’re not just bridging geographies—we’re fostering global exchanges of music and tradition. Sri Lankan artists deserve platforms to shine internationally, and partnerships like this propel them forward.”
GMSC’s Music Director, Srimal Weerasinghe, praised the airline’s impact: “SriLankan Airlines has been instrumental in developing Western classical music here, sponsoring visiting professionals and helping build Sri Lanka’s first professional orchestra. Their support has elevated our global reputation.”
Beyond GMSC, SriLankan Airlines continues to partner with local arts groups and diplomatic missions, cementing its role as a cultural ambassador.
By Sanath Nanayakkare
-
News5 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
Sports6 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News7 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Sports2 days ago
To play or not to play is Richmond’s decision
-
News6 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Features6 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Features6 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know
-
Latest News4 days ago
IPL 2025: Rookies Ashwani and Rickelton lead Mumbai Indians to first win