News

Sirisena kept out of intelligence loop when it came to foreign alerts on impending attacks

Published

on

By Rathindra Kuruwita

Former president Maithripala Sirisena had not been informed of foreign intelligence alerts about a possible terror attack by National Thowheed Jamaat (NTJ) leaders Zahran Hashim and his associates, former State Intelligence Service (SIS) Director SDIG Nilantha Jayawardena yesterday told the  Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI) investigating the Easter carnage in 2019.

Jayawardena made this statement in response to a question posed by a commissioner. The former head of the State Intelligence Service was also questioned on the threat assessment report prepared by the SIS prior to Sirisena’s visit to Batticaloa on April 12, 2019.

The threat assessment report did not refer to a foreign intelligence agency of 4 April, 2019 stating that a group including the National Thowheed Jama’at (NTJ) leader Zahran Hashim and his followers could launch a terror attack.

In response, Jayawardena said that it had not been mentioned in the report as it was not something relevant to Sirisena’s visit.

The Attorney General’s Department official leading the evidence asked Jayawardena if he had been aware that a number of mosques and churches were near the Weber Stadium where President held a public meeting.

“I was not told,” he said.

“Did you know that there is a mosque opposite the Weber Stadium and that the Zion Church bomber was staying there?” the Attorney General’s department official asked.

“I didn’t know,” Jayawardena said.

The former SIS Director was also asked if he had maintained a close relationship with Sirisena.

“The former President and I had a very good relationship until a few weeks after the Easter Sunday attacks,” he said.

 

Click to comment

Trending

Exit mobile version