Connect with us

Latest News

Showers above 200 mm are likely at some places in the Western, Sabaragamuwa and North-western provinces and showers above 100 mm are likely at some places in Galle, Matara, Kandy and Nuwara-Eliya districts.

Published

on

WEATHER FORECAST FOR 22 MAY 2026
Issued at 05.30 a.m. on 22 May 2026 by the Department of Meteorology

The South-West monsoon is gradually getting established over the island and the current rainy conditions over the south-western parts of the island are expected to continue further for the next few hours.

Showers or thundershowers will occur at times in the Western, Sabaragamuwa and North-western provinces and in Galle, Matara, Kandy and Nuwara-Eliya districts. Very heavy showers above 200 mm are likely at some places in the Western, Sabaragamuwa and North-western provinces. Heavy showers  above 100 mm are likely at some places in Galle, Matara, Kandy and Nuwara-Eliya districts. Several spells of showers will occur in the Northern province and in Anuradhapura district while showers or thundershowers may occur at a few places in the Uva province and in Ampara and Batticaloa districts after 2.00 pm.

Fairly strong winds about (35-45) kmph can be expected at times over the Western slopes of the central hills, the Northern, North-central, North-western and Southern provinces and in Trincomalee district.

The general public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damage caused by temporary localized strong winds and lightning during thundershowers



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Landslide early warnings issued to the Districts of Gampaha, Kalutara and Ratnapura

Published

on

By

The National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) has issued landslide early warnings to the districts of Gampaha, Kalutara and Ratnapura valid untill 0300 hrs on 23rd May 2026.

Accordingly,

Level II landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Attanagalla in the Gampaha district and Ratnapura and Kuruvita in the Ratnapura district.

Level I landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Bulathsinghala in the Kalutara district and Eheliyagoda in the Ratnapura district.

Continue Reading

Foreign News

French court finds Airbus, Air France guilty of manslaughter in 2009 crash

Published

on

By

Teddy Robert, [left], brother of flight co-pilot, and Daniele Lamy, president of victims' families association Entraide et Solidarite AF447, await the trial verdict, May 21, 2026 [Aljazeera]

A French appeals court has found Airbus and Air France guilty of manslaughter in 2009 Rio de Janeiro – Paris crash that killed 228 people – the worst aviation disaster in the country’s history.

The Paris Court of Appeal ruled on Thursday that both companies were “solely and entirely responsible for the crash of flight AF447”, and ordered a payment of 225,000 euros ($261,720) for each passenger, the maximum fine possible for corporate manslaughter.

Although the penalties are largely symbolic, they capped an eight-week trial that victims’ families saw as a last chance to find justice two years after a lower court acquited Airbus and Air France.

Both companies have repeatedly denied all charges.

Following the ruling, Airbus said it would appeal to France’s highest court, saying the latest finding contradicted submissions from prosecutors and the 2023 acquittal.

Prosecutors previously warned that an appeal was likely and denounced the companies’ behaviour throughout the decade-plus legal process.

“Nothing has come of it – not a single word of sincere comfort,” said prosecutor Rodolphe Juy-Birmann as the trial was under way last November. “One word sums up this whole circus: indecency.”

Airbus Paris-RIo flight accident
Divers recover the tail section from the Air France A330 that crashed into the south Atlantic while flying from Rio de Janeiro to Paris on June 1, 2009 [File: Aljazeera]

The crash unfolded on June 1, 2009, when flight AF447 disappeared from radar screens as it headed from Rio de Janeiro in Brazil to the French capital Paris with 216 passengers and 12 crew.

Two years passed before a deep-sea search uncovered the plane’s black boxes, which record flight data.

Investigators found the pilots had pushed the jet into a climb as it struggled with sensors blocked with ice during a mid-Atlantic storm. The plane stalled and crashed into the ocean.

While Airbus and Air France have blamed pilot error, the lawyers for passengers’ families argued that both companies knew that there was a problem with the plane’s pitot tubes, which measure flight speed.

Pilots were not trained to deal with such an emergency as the tubes malfunctioned, prosecutors said, triggering alarms in the cockpit and turning off the plane’s autopilot function.

Air France lawyer Pascal Weil said in October that the company “had the means to conduct high-altitude training, but we did not do so because we sincerely believed it was unnecessary”.

[Aljazeera]

 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Israel deports hundreds of Gaza aid flotilla activists amid global outcry

Published

on

By

Activists from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, detained by Israeli forces after their vessels were intercepted in international waters in the Mediterranean, celebrate upon arrival at Istanbul airport, in Turkiye, on May 21, 2026 [Aljazeera]

Israel has deported hundreds of foreign activists abducted by Israeli forces who stormed a Gaza aid flotilla earlier this week, following global outcry over their treatment in custody.

In Turkiye, dozens of flotilla participants arrived at the Istanbul airport throughout Thursday, some wearing keffiyehs and holding up their fingers in a peace sign. Crowds of supporters brandishing Palestinian flags welcomed them.

Ankara has evacuated 422 people on chartered flights, including 85 of its own citizens, and deployed doctors and ambulances to treat participants.

The French ⁠Foreign Ministry said ⁠the group included 37 ⁠French nationals. Some Spanish activists arrived in Madrid early evening on Thursday from Turkiye, while Jordan confirmed that two of its nationals had returned home via the southern crossing with Israel.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Oren Marmorstein said earlier that all “foreign activists from the PR flotilla have been deported”.

“Israel will not permit any breach of the lawful naval blockade on Gaza,” he added.

The legal centre for Palestinian rights in Israel, Adalah, told Al Jazeera that most of the roughly 430 abducted activists were deported from Ramon airport in southern Israel, and the rest from Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv.

Julien Cabral, a 57-year-old Belgian who participated in his first flotilla voyage, arrived in Istanbul with a black eye and wound on his left temple – the result of a punch from an Israeli marine raiding his seven-person boat, he told AFP news agency.

“I heard them say in English, ‘Let’s have some fun’,” he said, adding that activists were slapped, verbally abused and forced to beg for food, water and sanitary products at every step of the detainment process. Israeli authorities also refused to let the injured see doctors, he said.

Alessandro Mantovani, an Italian journalist detained with the activists and deported before the others, told reporters in Rome that he and others were “taken to Ben Gurion airport in handcuffs and with chains on our feet” before being put on a flight to Athens.

Israeli forces “beat us up”, he said. “They kicked us and punched us and shouted ‘Welcome to Israel’.”

Greek activists from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla, detained by Israeli forces after their vessels were intercepted in international waters in the Mediterranean, speak upon arrival at Istanbul Airport, Turkey, May 21, 2026. REUTERS/Murad Sezer
Greek activists from the Gaza-bound Global Sumud Flotilla speak upon arrival at Istanbul airport, Turkiye [Aljazeera]

The latest round of abductions took place on Tuesday evening, when Israeli forces finished intercepting the last of the more than 50 boats of the Global Sumud Flotilla as they were sailing towards Gaza in international waters.

Israel’s raids were widely condemned, with the foreign ministers of 10 countries, including Spain, Brazil and India, slamming Israeli forces’ actions as “blatant violations of international law and international humanitarian law”.

Israel’s treatment of the activists has since been condemned by more countries, including several key allies.

The criticism comes after far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir posted a video on X on Wednesday of himself taunting activists who were kneeling on the floor with their hands tied behind their backs.

In response, several nations, including France, Canada, Spain, Portugal and the Netherlands, summoned the Israeli ambassadors to their capitals to express their outrage. Meanwhile, European Council President Antonio Costa said he was “appalled” by Ben-Gvir’s behaviour, calling it “completely unacceptable”.

Italy has demanded an apology from Israel. Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani contacted European Union foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas, requesting that sanctions against Ben-Gvir be discussed at the bloc’s next meeting of foreign ministers.

Ben-Gvir’s behaviour prompted a rare rebuke from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

“Israel has every right to prevent provocative flotillas of Hamas terrorist supporters from entering our territorial waters and reaching Gaza. However, the way that Minister Ben-Gvir dealt with the flotilla activists is not in line with Israel’s values and norms,” said Netanyahu.

“It really goes to show how much Israeli authorities wanted to make a show out of [this] and how it’s very much an extension of the Israeli treatment towards Palestinians, which obviously gets a lot less of a public outcry,” Miriam Azem, the international advocacy coordinator at Adalah, told Al Jazeera.

Reporting from Ramallah in the occupied West Bank, Al Jazeera’s Nida Ibrahim said the ongoing deportations were the fastest Israel has ever carried out, as it scrambles to contain the public relations damage caused by Ben-Gvir’s video. Ibrahim added that many Palestinians believe the incident has gained more international attention because those mistreated were from foreign countries.

[Aljazeera]

Continue Reading

Trending