News
Several vie for Harin Fernando’s Natonal List seat

Bandarigoda from Galle to succeed Manusha Nanayakkara
By Rathindra Kuruwita
SJB General Secretary Moneragala District MP Ranjith Maddumabandara Friday said they would appoint Bandulalal Bandarigoda, the next in line from Galle district, and someone from the national list for the vacancies created by the removal of Manusha Nanayakkara and Harin Fernando following a Supreme Court decision.
The Supreme Court Friday (09) upheld the decision by main opposition SJB to suspend the party memberships of Manusha Nanayakkara and Harin Fernando.
The court dismissed a petition filed by the two ministers, who sought to have the SJB’s decision to expel them from the party declared unlawful.
The verdict was delivered by a three-member Supreme Court bench comprising Justices Vijith Malalgoda, Achala Wengappuli, and Arjuna Obeysekara.
Chief Opposition Whip and Kandy District MP Lakshman Kiriella said that there were many seeking the entry to Parliament to cover the vacancy created by Fernando. The party would make a decision in the coming days, he said.
Nanayakkara and Fernando entered Parliament on the SJB ticket but later joined President Gotabaya Rajapaksa in mid-2022, accepting ministerial portfolios in defiance of party directives. Both ministers resigned from their positions on 09 July 2022, along with the rest of the Cabinet, after then-President Rajapaksa informed the Speaker of his intention to resign. However, they were reappointed to their respective ministerial roles by President Ranil Wickremesinghe when he formed a new Cabinet on 22 July 2022
SJB MP Mujibur Rahman said that Nanayakkara and Fernando believed that they could violate the party constitution and insult the voters because they had the backing of President Ranil Wickremesinghe.
“On Friday, the Supreme Court gave a historical judgement against those who crossover for personal gain. This is a great victory for democracy. I hope this will discourage people from crossing over,” he said.
News
EC asked to ensure level playing field at LG polls; complaint lodged against President AKD

Eksath Janaraja Peramuna (EJP) yesterday complained to the Election Commission (EC) regarding President Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s recent threat that the government would release funds only to local government bodies to be won by a clean party at the May 06 LG polls.
The EJP, led by former Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, complained that President Dissanayake has claimed during a public rally at Weligama that the NPP was the only clean party.
The EJP is contesting 37 LG bodies at the forthcoming election.
The new party said that the rights of the other contesting political parties and groups had been violated by the President.
The EJP asked the EC to ensure a level playing field
Having handed over their complaint, EJP spokesman Theekshana Gammanpila told the media outside the EC office that Anura Kumara Dissanayake had won last year’s presidential election and then the parliamentary election as the then government ensured a free and fair election. But now President Dissanayake was making a despicable attempt to influence the electorate in the run-up to the vital mini polls. Gammanpila alleged that the President’s intervention could have a far reaching impact on the electorate.
The EJP spokesman emphasised the responsibility on the part of the EC to intervene and take tangible measures to prevent President Dissanayake from manipulating the electorate to their advantage. (SF)
News
Former CM, and private secretary sentenced to 16 years RI for corruption

Former North Central Province Chief Minister S. M. Ranjith and his private secretary Shanthi, who is his brother, former Minister S.M. Chandrasena’s wife, were yesterday (02) sentenced to 16 years rigorous imprisonment after being found guilty of corruption charges. They were also ordered to pay a fine of Rs. 200,000 each.
The judgment was delivered by Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendi.
They were convicted on charges filed by the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption.
S.M. Ranjith was found guilty of enabling Shanti to secure an additional fuel allowance between Sept 2012 and Dec 2014 to the tune of Rs 2.68 mn.
News
Traditional Japanese musical concert and cultural performance

The Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka hosted a concert of Japanese traditional music by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra featuring the performers of NYSC on 28th March in honour of the visit of Most. Ven. Ohtani Chohjun Nayaka Hamuduruwo, the 25th Head Priest of Higashi Hongan-ji Grand Temple.
The event featured a Japanese tea ceremony and breathtaking musical performances by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra, showcasing traditional Japanese instruments such as the Koto and Shamisen. The evening was further enriched by violin and vibrant dance performances by students from the National Youth Council (NYSC) and Lanka Nippon Biztech Institute (LNBTI).
This cultural celebration further strengthened the deep ties between Japan and Sri Lanka, offering a unique experience of Japanese tradition and heritage.
-
Sports4 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News3 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
News5 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Business6 days ago
AIA Higher Education Scholarships Programme celebrating 30-year journey
-
News4 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Features4 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Latest News2 days ago
IPL 2025: Rookies Ashwani and Rickelton lead Mumbai Indians to first win
-
Features4 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know