Latest News
Putin sets out conditions for Ukraine ceasefire
Russian President Vladimir Putin said he agreed with the idea of a ceasefire in Ukraine, but that “questions” remained about the nature of a truce as he set out a number of tough conditions.
The Russian president was responding to a plan for a 30 day ceasefire, which Ukraine agreed to earlier this week after talks with the US.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described Putin’s response to the plan as “manipulative” and called for more sanctions on Russia.
Meanwhile, the US placed further sanctions on Russian oil, gas and banking sectors.
Speaking at a news conference in Moscow on Thursday, Putin said of the ceasefire proposal: “The idea is right – and we support it – but there are questions that we need to discuss.”
A ceasefire should lead to “an enduring peace and remove the root causes of this crisis”, Putin said. “We need to negotiate with our American colleagues and partners,” he said. “Maybe I’ll have a call with Donald Trump.”
Putin added: “It will be good for the Ukrainian side to achieve a 30-day ceasefire. “We are in favour of it, but there are nuances.”
One of the areas of contention is Russia’s Kursk region, Putin said, where Ukraine launched a military incursion last year and captured some territory.
He claimed Russia was fully back in control of Kursk, and said Ukrainian troops there “have been isolated”.
“They are trying to leave, but we are in control. Their equipment has been abandoned.”
“There are two options for Ukrainians in Kursk – surrender or die.”
Outlining some of his questions over how a ceasefire would work, Putin asked: “How will those 30 days be used? For Ukraine to mobilise? Rearm? Train people? Or none of that? Then a question – how will that be controlled?”
“Who will give the order to end the fighting? At what cost? Who decides who has broken any possible ceasefire, over 2,000km? All those questions need meticulous work from both sides. Who polices it?”
Putin “doesn’t say no directly”, Zelensky said in his nightly video address, but “in practice, he’s preparing a rejection”.
“Putin, of course, is afraid to tell President Trump directly that he wants to continue this war, wants to kill Ukrainians.”
The Russian leader had set so many pre-conditions “that nothing will work out at all”, Zelensky said.
After Putin’s remarks and Zelensky’s response, there is now a clear divide between both sides’ positions.
Ukraine wants a two-stage process: a quick ceasefire and then talks about a longer-term settlement.
Russia believes you cannot separate the two processes and all the issues should be decided in a single deal. Both sides seem content to argue their differences.
Ukraine believes it can put pressure on Russia, painting it as a reluctant peacemaker, playing for time. Russia, equally, believes it has a chance now to raise its fundamental concerns, about Nato expansion and Ukraine’s sovereignty.
But this presents a problem for Donald Trump. He has made it clear he wants a quick result, ending the fighting in days.
And right now, Putin does not appear to want to play ball.

Speaking at the White House following Putin’s remarks, Trump said he would “love” to meet the Russian leader and that he hoped Russia would “do the right thing” and agree to the proposed 30-day truce.
“We’d like to see a ceasefire from Russia,” he said.
Speaking earlier at a meeting in the Oval Office with Nato Secretary General Mark Rutte, Trump told reporters he had already discussed specifics with Ukraine.
“We’ve been discussing with Ukraine land and pieces of land that would be kept and lost, and all of the other elements of a final agreement,” Trump said. “A lot of the details of a final agreement have actually been discussed.”
On the subject of Ukraine joining the Nato military alliance, Trump said “everybody knows what the answer to that is”.
The fresh sanctions on Russian oil and gas came as the Trump administration further restricted access to US payment systems, making it harder for other countries to buy Russian oil.
Meanwhile, Putin met US special envoy Steve Witkoff behind closed doors in Moscow.
Earlier in the day, Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov rejected the ceasefire proposal put forward by the US.
On Wednesday, Putin visited Russia’s Kursk region, symbolically dressed in military fatigues. Russia later said it recaptured the key town of Sudzha.
More than 95,000 people fighting for Russia’a military have died in the war.
Ukraine last updated its casualty figures in December 2024, when President Volodymyr Zelensky acknowledged 43,000 Ukrainian deaths among soldiers and officers. Western analysts believe this figure to be underestimated.
[BBC]
Latest News
‘Treat him with dignity’ – Gavaskar, Chappell among 14 former captains to come out in support of Imran Khan
Fourteen former international captains from around the world have written a letter to Pakistan’s prime minister Shehbaz Sharif, expressing deep concern for former captain Imran Khan’s health, and requesting that he be treated with “dignity and basic human consideration”.
Recent reports of an eye complaint that Imran’s family said has left him almost completely blinded in one eye amid accusations of medical neglect in prison have sparked worry in Pakistan, as well as globally in the cricket community.
As reported by The Age, the captains include some of cricket’s most famous names, most of whom played against Imran during their careers. Greg Chappell drafted the petition, which has been signed by Ian Chappell, Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev, Clive Lloyd, Allan Border, Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain, Michael Brearley, David Gower, Steve Waugh, John Wright, Kim Hughes and Belinda Clark.
“Recent reports concerning his health – particularly the alarming deterioration of his vision while in custody – and the conditions of his imprisonment over the past two and a half years have caused us profound concern,” the letter says.
“Imran Khan’s contributions to the game are universally admired. As captain, he led Pakistan to their historic 1992 Cricket World Cup victory – a triumph built on skill, resilience, leadership, and sportsmanship that inspired generations across borders.
“Many of us competed against him, shared the field with him, or grew up idolising his all-round brilliance, charisma, and competitive spirit. He remains one of the finest all-rounders and captains the sport has ever seen, earning respect from players, fans, and administrators alike.”
The open letter has been written amid rising pressure on the Pakistan government over the status of Imran’s health, and whether appropriate medical care has been accorded to him in jail. His family has been refused permission to visit him for several months, and have demanded his personal doctors and physicians be allowed to visit him. This request has so far been ignored by the Pakistan authorities. Reports over the weekend emerged suggesting je would be taken to hospital, but this has not happened either.
Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, and Shoaib Akhtar were among the voices to urge proper medical treatment for Imran last week, with former Indian cricketer Ajay Jadeja urging Pakistan’s cricketers to raise their voices in support.
Imran, who served as Pakistan’s prime minister from 2018 to 2022, was sentenced to a slew of prison sentences that he and his supporters have maintained are politically motivated. These include corruption charges that have landed him 10, 14, and 17 year sentences. Ahead of the 2024 elections, where his party, forbidden from contesting, still emerged with the largest vote and seat share, he was also sentenced to seven years in prison for getting married to his current wife without waiting an appropriate period of time after her divorce. That sentence earned widespread condemnation, and was later overturned.
“Beyond cricket, Imran Khan served as Prime Minister of Pakistan, leading his nation during a challenging period,” the letter says. “Regardless of political perspectives, he holds the honour of having been democratically elected to the highest office in his country.
“We respectfully urge the Government of Pakistan to ensure that Imran Khan receives immediate, adequate and ongoing medical attention from qualified specialists of his choosing to address his reported health issues, humane and dignified conditions of detention in line with international standards, including regular visits by close family members, and fair and transparent access to legal processes without undue delay or hindrance.”
Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and the International Federation of Human Rights are among the organisations to have expressed concern over the fairness of his trial and the state of his conditions in prison. His sons have said Imran remains in a “death cell” where he has been subjected to psychological torture. The Pakistan government has repeatedly denied all such claims.
“Cricket has long been a bridge between nations. Our shared history on the field reminds us that rivalry ends when the stumps are drawn, and respect endures. Imran Khan embodied that spirit throughout his career.
“We call on authorities to honour it now by upholding the principles of decency and justice. This appeal is made in the spirit of sportsmanship and common humanity, without prejudice to any legal proceedings.”
Captains list
Michael Atherton, Allan Border, Michael Brearley, Greg Chappell, Ian Chappell Belinda Clark, Sunil Gavaskar, David Gower, Kim Hughes, Nasser Hussain, Sir Clive Lloyd, Kapil Dev, Stephen Waugh, John Wright
[Cricinfo]
Latest News
Rain ends Ireland and Australia’s T20 World Cup hopes
Ireland and Australia have both been eliminated from the T20 World Cup as rain prevented play in the Group B game between the Irish and Zimbabwe at Pallekele Cricket Stadium in Kandy.
Zimbabwe’s shock victory over Australia left them needing just a point on Tuesday to advance to the Super 8s with the match being a must-win for Ireland to retain any hope of advancing.
Australia, who suffered an eight wicket defeat to Sri Lanka on Monday, were also banking on a win for Ireland to remain in the hunt for the next phase.
But with the rain unrelenting in Kandy the match was ultimately abandoned with both Ireland and Zimbabwe taking a point apiece.
That left Zimbabwe on five points and Ireland – whose four-game campaign is complete – on three, with Australia sitting on two and just one game remaining against Oman on Friday (13:30 GMT) which is now a dead rubber.
Zimbabwe will take on Sri Lanka in Colombo on Thursday (09:30 GMT) with the winner topping Group B, but they are both guaranteed a place in the next phase of the tournament.
[BBC Sports]
Latest News
“Sri Lanka Set to Become the First South Asian Country to Enter the Global Charter on Children’s Care Reform”
Today (17), Sri Lanka officially expressed its Intent to Enter into Global Charter on Children’s Care Reform at the United Nations Compound, Bauddhaloka Mawatha, Colombo 07.
The event was attended by the David Lammy, Member of Parliament, Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice and Deputy Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. On behalf of Sri Lanka, the official Expression of Intent was made by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs, Saroja Savithri Paulraj.
Sri Lanka has long been a State Party to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) and remains committed under international law to protecting and promoting children’s rights. The Global Charter for on Children’s Care Reform has been developed based on existing international commitments, including the 2009 United Nations General Assembly Guidelines for the Alternative Care of Children; the 2019 UN General Assembly resolution focusing on the rights of children without parental care (A/RES/74/133); the CRPD/C/5: Guidelines on de-institutionalization, including in emergencies (2022); the 2022 Kigali Declaration of Commonwealth States; and the 2024 1st Global Ministerial Conference on Ending Violence Against Children, which called for action. To date, 34 countries around the world have endorsed this Charter.
As no South Asian country has yet joined this Charter, Sri Lanka is set to become the first South Asian nation to do so.
The primary objective of joining this Charter is to further strengthen Sri Lanka’s national child Care policies and align their implementation with international standards.
The event was collaboratively organized by UNICEF and the British High Commission in Sri Lanka. Among those present were the British High Commissioner to Sri Lanka, Andrew Patrick; British Deputy High Commissioner to Sri Lanka, Theresa O’Mahony; UN Resident Coordinator in Sri Lanka, Marc-André Franche; UNICEF Representative to Sri Lanka, Emma Brigham; Secretary to the Ministry of Women and Child Affairs, Tharanganie Wickramasinghe; government officials; representatives of non-governmental organizations; and civil society representatives.
-
Life style3 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business2 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features3 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Midweek Review7 days agoA question of national pride
-
Business7 days agoAutodoc 360 relocates to reinforce commitment to premium auto care
-
Opinion6 days agoWill computers ever be intelligent?
-
Features3 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features3 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
