Latest News
Putin sets out conditions for Ukraine ceasefire
Russian President Vladimir Putin said he agreed with the idea of a ceasefire in Ukraine, but that “questions” remained about the nature of a truce as he set out a number of tough conditions.
The Russian president was responding to a plan for a 30 day ceasefire, which Ukraine agreed to earlier this week after talks with the US.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described Putin’s response to the plan as “manipulative” and called for more sanctions on Russia.
Meanwhile, the US placed further sanctions on Russian oil, gas and banking sectors.
Speaking at a news conference in Moscow on Thursday, Putin said of the ceasefire proposal: “The idea is right – and we support it – but there are questions that we need to discuss.”
A ceasefire should lead to “an enduring peace and remove the root causes of this crisis”, Putin said. “We need to negotiate with our American colleagues and partners,” he said. “Maybe I’ll have a call with Donald Trump.”
Putin added: “It will be good for the Ukrainian side to achieve a 30-day ceasefire. “We are in favour of it, but there are nuances.”
One of the areas of contention is Russia’s Kursk region, Putin said, where Ukraine launched a military incursion last year and captured some territory.
He claimed Russia was fully back in control of Kursk, and said Ukrainian troops there “have been isolated”.
“They are trying to leave, but we are in control. Their equipment has been abandoned.”
“There are two options for Ukrainians in Kursk – surrender or die.”
Outlining some of his questions over how a ceasefire would work, Putin asked: “How will those 30 days be used? For Ukraine to mobilise? Rearm? Train people? Or none of that? Then a question – how will that be controlled?”
“Who will give the order to end the fighting? At what cost? Who decides who has broken any possible ceasefire, over 2,000km? All those questions need meticulous work from both sides. Who polices it?”
Putin “doesn’t say no directly”, Zelensky said in his nightly video address, but “in practice, he’s preparing a rejection”.
“Putin, of course, is afraid to tell President Trump directly that he wants to continue this war, wants to kill Ukrainians.”
The Russian leader had set so many pre-conditions “that nothing will work out at all”, Zelensky said.
After Putin’s remarks and Zelensky’s response, there is now a clear divide between both sides’ positions.
Ukraine wants a two-stage process: a quick ceasefire and then talks about a longer-term settlement.
Russia believes you cannot separate the two processes and all the issues should be decided in a single deal. Both sides seem content to argue their differences.
Ukraine believes it can put pressure on Russia, painting it as a reluctant peacemaker, playing for time. Russia, equally, believes it has a chance now to raise its fundamental concerns, about Nato expansion and Ukraine’s sovereignty.
But this presents a problem for Donald Trump. He has made it clear he wants a quick result, ending the fighting in days.
And right now, Putin does not appear to want to play ball.

Speaking at the White House following Putin’s remarks, Trump said he would “love” to meet the Russian leader and that he hoped Russia would “do the right thing” and agree to the proposed 30-day truce.
“We’d like to see a ceasefire from Russia,” he said.
Speaking earlier at a meeting in the Oval Office with Nato Secretary General Mark Rutte, Trump told reporters he had already discussed specifics with Ukraine.
“We’ve been discussing with Ukraine land and pieces of land that would be kept and lost, and all of the other elements of a final agreement,” Trump said. “A lot of the details of a final agreement have actually been discussed.”
On the subject of Ukraine joining the Nato military alliance, Trump said “everybody knows what the answer to that is”.
The fresh sanctions on Russian oil and gas came as the Trump administration further restricted access to US payment systems, making it harder for other countries to buy Russian oil.
Meanwhile, Putin met US special envoy Steve Witkoff behind closed doors in Moscow.
Earlier in the day, Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov rejected the ceasefire proposal put forward by the US.
On Wednesday, Putin visited Russia’s Kursk region, symbolically dressed in military fatigues. Russia later said it recaptured the key town of Sudzha.
More than 95,000 people fighting for Russia’a military have died in the war.
Ukraine last updated its casualty figures in December 2024, when President Volodymyr Zelensky acknowledged 43,000 Ukrainian deaths among soldiers and officers. Western analysts believe this figure to be underestimated.
[BBC]
Latest News
Suspect killed after shooting at Secret Service agents, officials confirm
A person has been shot and killed after they opened fire outside the White House, the US Secret Service has confirmed.
Here is their statement in full:
Shortly after 6 p.m Saturday an individual in the area on 17th street and Pennsylvania Avenue pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing.
Secret Service police returned fire striking the suspect who was transported to an area hospital where he was pronounced deceased. During the shooting one bystander was also struck by gunfire.
No injuries were sustained by officers. The President was in the White House during the incident, however no protectees or operations were impacted.
This incident remains under investigation and additional information will be released as it becomes available.
Suspect identified, had previous ‘run-in’ with Secret Service – CBSpublished at 07:45
The deceased suspect in the shooting outside the White House has been identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a person familiar with the investigation has told BBC’s US media partner CBS.
The source said that the suspect had already been arrested by the US Secret Service in July 2025 after he tried to gain entry to the White House, and he was sent to a psychiatric ward for mental health issues in the aftermath.
(BBC)
Latest News
Trump says Iran deal ‘largely negotiated’ including reopening Strait of Hormuz
US President Donald Trump says an agreement with Iran has been “largely negotiated” and details will be announced soon.
The deal would include the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, he said on Saturday, without giving further details.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei earlier told state television that US and Iranian positions had been converging in the last week, but warned that did not mean agreements would be reached on key issues and accused the Americans of “contradictory statements”.
On social media, Trump said he had a “very good call” with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and others about a “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE”.
“An agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed,” Trump said.
“Final aspects and details of the deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly.”
He also said he had a call on Saturday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which “went very well”.
The president has not given any further details on the deal, but has insisted any agreement would “absolutely” prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.
Later, Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said: “I congratulate President Donald Trump on his extraordinary efforts to pursue peace,” and said the phone call had been “very useful and productive”.
Pakistan has been helping to negotiate a peace deal serving as an intermediary.
“We hope to host the next round of talks very soon,” he wrote in the statement on X.
The US and Israel launched wide-ranging strikes on Iran on 28 February, sparking conflict across the Middle East. Iran responded by launching attacks on Israel and US-allied states in the Gulf.
A ceasefire in Iran was agreed in early April, and since then Washington and Tehran have engaged in talks over a long-term peace deal.
(BBC)
Latest News
Devine intervention brings New Zealand back from the dead
A firefighting 87 from Sophie Devine propelled New Zealand from a perilous 11 for 4 to a series-squaring 14-run win over England in the second women’s T20I at Canterbury.
Already 1-0 down, the tourists were floored when reduced to 5 for 3 after just nine balls – New Zealand women’s joint-lowest total at the fall of the third wicket in T20Is. They were soon four-down in the fourth over, with Linsey Smith (3 for 25) the main destructor, her wily brand of slow left-arm swing flummoxing the top-order.
But Devine and Maddy Green, who finished with an unbeaten 56, rebuilt and then thrived with a stand of 159 that ended with Devine’s run-out off the final ball of the innings. Regular boundaries between the pair – including eight sixes, six belonging to Devine – ensured the White Ferns did not miss out on the pristine batting conditions that convinced Melie Kerr to bat first upon winning the toss.
Yet again, Lauren Bell struck early, dismissing Izzy Gaze at the end of her first over having dismissed Georgia Plimmer with the first delivery of the opening T20I at Derby. Plimmer had the ignominy of a second successive golden duck when she got herself in a tangle to gift Smith a return catch at the start of the second over.
But Devine and Green ensured there would be no repeat of Wednesday’s defeat. England’s target would have been more manageable than 171 had Smith effected a run-out at the non-striker’s end midway through her third over. It would have removed Devine for 48 in the 14th over. She struck 39 off her remaining 20 deliveries, and faced 57 in all before finally being run out off the final ball of the innings.
In their reply, England were above the rate at the three-over mark, before Sophia Dunkley was dismissed for a sprightly 26, caught off Nensi Patel, the offspinner having come into the side for Suzie Bates. And New Zealand assumed the ascendancy out when set batters Heather Knight (25) and Maia Bouchier (38) were dismissed in successive balls. It was particularly poor from Bouchier, finding the fielder at long-on off Patel, moments after Knight had been run out after aborting a second run following a late call.
The silver lining for England was that it brought hard-hitting allrounders Freya Kemp and Dani Gibson to the middle at the death. But with too much to do, Gibson was bowled by Bree Illing hacking across the line, and Kemp became the returning Leah Tahuhu’s 99th T20I wicket when caught on the fence with 23 required from the final four balls.
Issy Wong, replacing Sophie Ecclestone who sat out with a tight hamstring, lofted the final ball over the boundary, reducing the margin of defeat. It also highlighted a key difference between the two teams. It was only England’s second six, a third as many as Devine had managed on her own.
It has been an excellent first half of the year for Sophie Devine. Saturday’s half-century was her third so far, giving her an average of 48 and strike rate of 160. While admittedly from a sample size of seven innings, it speaks to a player focussed on going out on a high. This, by the way, is now her second highest score in the format, slotting beneath her sole century that came against South Africa in February 2020.
“I’m enjoying my cricket and enjoying what I got left on the international scene,” Devine said during her play of the match interview. Retiring at the end of the upcoming T20 World Cup, the 36-year old is gunning for the sweetest swansong.
England were warned. On, Wednesday in a similar situation, Devine counterpunched with 45 off 22 from less shakier ground – 13 for 2 in the fourth over – but was eventually trimmed off by Gibson. The difference this time was not just carrying on (especially after the life on 48) but support from Green.
Overall, Green was only striking at 116.66, but she was able to keep pace for the majority of what became a maiden T20I fifty. A brace of fours off Gibson took Green to 40 from 33, with Devine watching on appreciatively, 49 off 38 to her name.
That passage of five overs after the midway point saw Green momentarily assume senior status, facing 20 balls and allowing Devine to rest up for the final push. The 56 from the final four overs – 36 from Devine – put New Zealand out of reach.
“It shows the growth of the group, to be able to rebound and put on a score of 170,” said Devine. “For a player like me, I don’t really like sitting back. It’s a real battle of the mind regarding what you want to do.
“We absorbed pressure really well and then to be able to throw it back at them at the backend. It’s a fantastic confidence builder for us.”
“They keep playing her like a left-arm spinner – they need to play her like a left-arm swing bowler,” said Nasser Hussain on Sky. In between celebrating Linsey Smith’s brilliance, the former England men’s captain could not help but lament New Zealand’s approach to the left-arm orthodox bowler.
At the toss, Melie Kerr revealed the team had discussed how best to combat Smith, who had flummoxed them in the first T20I. Stifling the White Ferns scoring with 15 dot balls among her 1 for 10 from her four overs, Kerr called for a more pro-active batting effort. Unfortunately, she could not lead as an example, out LBW sweeping her first ball, gifting Smith her second dismissal halfway through her first over.
Blindly swinging across the line was surely not a tactic formulated in that brainstorming session. Georgia Plimmer attacking immediately – a return catch giving her a second successive golden duck – was a little too cavalier. Left-hander Brooke Halliday’s initiative to advance down the crease felt the most appropriate, even if that resulted in a straight-forward catch to Bouchier at long off.
Smith has added a fascinating dimension to the XI, as a slower bowler thriving in the Powerplay. And it will be interesting to see how opposition batters deal with her at the World Cup given what she’s shown weeks out from the competition.
As Hussain states, tit may be wiser to approach Smith like a seamer, focussing on the movement through the air rather than what revolutions there may be on the ball. It was instructive that Smith, speaking ahead of the match, revealed she had got into trouble for forgetting to shine the ball, a regular habit for quick bowlers but something this spinner needs to remember to do given how much of her success is coming from swing rather than spin.
Most of New Zealand’s right-handers have had little joy trying to heave her to leg. Might more joy be found making room and accessing the off side, particularly during the first six overs? We may be about to find out.
That England happened to get their strongest hitters Kemp and Gibson out there in the final five overs was entirely by accident. Even if they had managed the 52 required from the remaining 26 deliveries, the main takeaway should be that they were introduced too late.
Angling for what would have been the side’s third-highest successful chase, perhaps Kemp, off the back of a handy 31 not out to finish the first T20I, should have come out when Capsey fell at the end of the 10th over. At that point, the required rate was on the verge of reaching double figures. By the time Knight and Bouchier were done, both allrounders would have had to strike at 200 to get England home.
Head coach Charlotte Edwards has focussed on adding more heft to the lower order, and there is no doubt Kemp and Gibson give opponents something to fear. Gibson’s consecutive fours off Devine sparked momentary jeopardy before her dismissal. A little more time and maybe her and/or Kemp could have made a decisive impact. No doubt an error to learn from ahead of the main event next month.
Brief scores:
New Zealand Women 170 for 5 in 20 overs (Sophie Devine 87, Maddy Green 56*; Lauren Bell 1-22, Linsey Smith 3-25) beat England Women 156 for 6 in 20 overs (Sophia Dunkley 26, Alice Capsey 22, Maia Bouchier 38, Heather Knight 25, Freya Kemp 14, Dani Gibson 12; Bree Illing 1-27, Nensi Patel 2-25, Lea Tahuhu 1-32, Mellie Kerr 1-28) by 14 runs
[Cricinfo]
-
Features5 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
News4 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
Opinion4 days agoMurder of Ehelepola family, Bogambara Wewa and Sightings of Wangediya
-
Sports5 days agoSri Lanka women’s volleyball team ready for Central Asian challenge
-
Editorial4 days agoA play without its protagonist
-
Midweek Review5 days agoOverall SLPP failures stressed in new Aragalaya narrative
-
Opinion3 days agoThe need to reform Buddhist ecclesiastical order
-
Latest News5 days agoAt least 100 dead in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, official says
