Connect with us

News

Prospective applicants protest over demand to raise ‘personal loans’ to buy government flats

Published

on

At Lunawa Sea View Residencies meant for ‘low and middle income families’

BY SURESH PERERA

Prospective buyers of Sea View Residencies at Lunawa developed by the Urban Settlement Development Authority (USDA) for “low and middle income families” have been left kicking their heels after they were informed last week to raise “personal loans” ranging from Rs. 3.5 to Rs. 4.1 million from any financial institution to procure the units.

This is apart from the 25% down-payment plus another Rs. 240,000 as “related charges”, which have to be paid upfront to acquire the flats, the prices of which range from Rs. 4.56 million to Rs. 5.58 million.

For example, to procure a unit valued at Rs. 4.56 million on the fourth floor of the complex, one has to make a down-payment of Rs. 1.14 million.

The general practice earlier when selling housing units in complexes specifically meant for “low and middle income families” was for the government institution concerned to arrange a feasible credit facility largely through HDFC Bank.

However, prospective buyers of Sea View Residencies complained that they were summoned to ‘Sethsiripaya’ at Battaramulla on Tuesday and told in no uncertain terms that they need to secure a bank loan if they wanted to procure a unit in the newly-built housing complex.

“When we protested that we are low and middle income earners, and no financial institution would offer a credit facility without collateral, an official interjected that there was then no option, but to give up the idea of acquiring a flat”, the distraught buyers said.

Application forms were initially issued to interested buyers on a non-refundable deposit of Rs. 2,000 each. After shortlisting applicants, interviews were called, where they were assured that after the 25% down-payment on the total value of each unit was made, a credit facility would be arranged through the Bank of Ceylon under a monthly repayment plan at 6.25% per annum, they noted.

The availability of a bank facility was also clearly outlined in letters sent to buyers shortlisted as “eligible applicants” to purchase the flats. However, in a sudden turnaround, the promised loan facility has been ditched, they complained.

Some prospective aspirants had in fact approached banks for some degree of relief, but were specifically told that they should either surrender the deed of the flat or some other form of collateral to secure a ‘personal loan’.

“If we had millions of rupees the USDA is now demanding for the units, we could have purchased a small house in the area without waiting for more than a year until the housing complex was completed”, they reasoned.

Whereas the highest priced unit in the complex costs Rs. 5.58 million, there’s a small house put up for sale for Rs. 5.5 million close to Moratuwa town, another shortlisted applicant said. “If I had ready cash, I would prefer to buy an individual house”.

“We were asked to make the 25% down-payment as early as possible, but in case the balance is not settled within the time-frame, refunds will be subject to an unspecified penalty”, he further said.

It appears that the government has built the Sea View Residencies for the wealthy or for those who pump funds, hold on for some time and resell at a considerable margin, he opined. “The deserving has been elbowed out”.

USDA Director-General, Major General (Retd.) Udaya Nanayakkara assured that he was aware of the issue and discussions are ongoing with banks to evolve a solution.

“We wanted to recover the construction cost of the housing complex as the land value has not been calculated into the price”, he told The Sunday Island.

“We were looking at recouping the investment upfront without opting for a time-consuming repayment plan”, he explained.

Another official, who asked not to be identified, admitted that 90% of the shortlisted applicants are now unable to procure units without a workable repayment scheme.

“We were aware that prospective buyers would be left in the lurch sans a bank facility as low and middle income earners don’t have access to millions of rupees in liquid cash. However, we had to adhere to UDA (Urban Development Authority) guidelines”, he asserted.

He said that with the growing displeasure over preference to “people who can afford” rather than “those who deserve” has resulted in looking at the process afresh and the possibility of arranging a bank facility is on the cards.

The President, and the Prime Minister, as Housing Minister, should be made aware of obstacles placed by an officialdom insensitive to the average man’s housing needs, he noted.

The applicants were shortlisted on the basis of a monthly household income of Rs. 75,000. Those who earned more than this were rejected as the flats are meant for low and middle income families, he added.

“At the end of the day, the displeasure generated will reflect on the government”, he added.

A UDA official said the complex was developed by the USDA and therefore “it’s their baby”.

“We had nothing to do with it”.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending