Connect with us

Sports

Mitchell Swepson, Lance Morris, Peter Handscomb? Who will get on the India flight?

Published

on

Regardless of having their spot booked before heading to India that tour will be one of the series that defines their year and against their likely opponents in the WTC final, albeit in vastly different conditions. It will, therefore, be intriguing to see which players fill the fringe places in the squad that will be announced shortly after the Sydney Test is finished.

Some of the names called up for the final match against South Africa have given a clear indication of the way the selectors will go. Ashton Agar can be locked in with Matt Renshaw highly likely to be included given the versatility he provides while Peter Handscomb, added late to the Sydney squad, is another expected to travel as a spare batter. Marcus Harris, having travelled all summer as a reserve, may end up unlucky again.

Alongside those who are certain selections it does not leave many gaps to fill, although the injury concerns with Mitchell Starc and Cameron Green may mean a slightly larger group travels. Green has conceded they are both in a race against time for the opening Test in Nagpur.

There will be at least one more frontline spinner alongside Agar and Nathan Lyon, and there could yet be two. Legspinner Mitchell Swepson, who played in Pakistan and Sri Lanka, will be in the frame as will the uncapped offspinner Todd Murphy who is very highly regarded. The chances of a surprise call-up for Adam Zampa appear to have receded.

“Todd’s putting his hand up with the performances he’s put on the board,” coach Andrew McDonald said after the MCG Test. “Mitch Swepson performed well in the subcontinent previously.

“Matt Renshaw coming in again in Test cricket has had some success there before. Pete Handscomb, no doubt, would probably consider himself unlucky not to be in that conversation for Sydney, but there’s another one coming back into the Test fold in conversation. We’ve got Marcus Harris also. So feel we’ve got Test experience within that depth.”

While Australia may only play two frontline quicks during some of the series, supplemented by Green when he is fit, they will likely have plenty of options at their disposal. Scott Boland’s wicket-to-wicket skills, and ability to find reverse swing, could yet be valuable if pitches are uneven while the uncapped Lance Morris would provide a 150-kph point of difference.

As has been made clear in Sydney, there is no like-for-like cover for Green given Mitchell Marsh is sidelined after an ankle surgery and fellow Western Australia allrounder Aaron Hardie is understood to be considered not quite ready for the elevation.

The other question will be whether they take a specialist backup to Alex Carey or believe that Handscomb could step in with the gloves if required. Given the relatively condensed nature of the tour, Josh Inglis will likely be included.

Australia will arrive in India about seven days before the opening Test in Nagpur on February 9 with McDonald comfortable with the lack of a warm-up match. There are plans for a pre-tour camp in Sydney where they can control the conditions they practice in as happened in Melbourne before they went to Pakistan last year.

“We would prefer a centre wicket in India to go through some scenario training, and we feel as though with this experienced group also that have been there before, that they won’t need as long to adapt to the conditions,” McDonald said.

“We can be creative in our own conditions. We’ve done it before with the Pakistan build-up in Melbourne. Dusting up wickets, working with the local groundsmen who really help us in and around the country. We feel as though we can get as close to that as possible without necessarily having a practice game.”

Possible Australia squad for India tour:

David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steven Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins (capt), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Scott Boland, Ashton Agar, Lance Morris, Mitchell Swepson, Matt Renshaw, Peter Handscomb, Todd Murphy.

(Cricinfo)



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Angkrish Raghuvanshi ruled out of IPL 2026 with concussion, finger fracture

Published

on

By

The 21-year old Raghuvanshi is KKR's highest run-getter so far in IPL 2026, tallying 422 runs at an average of 42.2 and a strike-rate of 146.52 with five half-centuries [Cricbuzz]
Kolkata Knight Riders’ wicket-keeper batter Angkrish Raghuvanshi has been ruled out of the remainder of IPL 2026 having sustained a concussion and a left finger fracture during the team’s win over Mumbai Indians at home on Wednesday (May 20). The franchise confirmed the development in a statement released on Friday, two days out of KKR’s must-win encounter against Delhi Capitals at the Eden Gardens.

Raghuvanshi, who kept wickets in the game against MI, collided with teammate Varun Chakaravarthy as the duo attempted a catch to dismiss Tilak Varma in the 11th over of the MI innings. The duo fell while Chakaravarthy failed to hold onto the catch and immediately after Tilak was dismissed in the 14th over, Raghuvanshi went off the field with Tejasvi Dahiya coming on as the substitute wicket-keeper.

Raghuvanshi was eventually subbed out of the game for concussion, with Dahiya replacing him in the XI as KKR completed a comfortable 4-wicket win.

The 21-year old Raghuvanshi is KKR’s highest run-getter so far in IPL 2026, tallying 422 runs at an average of 42.2 and a strike-rate of 146.52 with five half-centuries to his credit. His injury comes at an untimely juncture ahead of their final fixture against DC, which they must win while hoping for other results prior to that game to go in their favour in order to secure the final playoff berth.

[Cricbuzz]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Sunrisers Hyderabad win big but Royal Challengers Bengaaluru, Gujarat Titans seal top two spots

Published

on

By

Eshan Malinga had Devdutt Padikkal holing out to deep midwicket [Cricinfo]

Sunrisers Hyderabad [SRH] won, and yet it didn’t feel like a win.  Royal Challengers Bengaluru [RCB] lost, but it didn’t feel like that either. In a nutshell, that’s how Friday night went in Hyderabad as RCB secured a top-two finish – they finished No 1 – despite a 55-run defeat, while SRH remained third.

On the back of half-centuries from Abhishek Sharma, Heinrich Klassen and Ishan Kishan,  SRH posted a monster total of 255, but had to restrict RCB to 166 or below for a chance to move into the top two. Rajat Patidar’s 56, Venkatesh Iyer’s 44 and Krunal Pandya’s unbeaten 41 ensured there were no blushes for RCB even as they finished the league stage with a defeat.

That left the top three teams all on 18 points, with Gujarat Titans sandwiched between the two teams at No. 1 and No. 3. Eventually, it came down to net run-rate to decide which team would go to Qualifier 1, and which team would play the Eliminator.

Going into the game, RCB wanted to win but also wanted to ensure they didn’t slip outside the top two should they lose. After SRH pumped 255 for 4 in 20 overs, the equation became clear – RCB had to avoid losing by 90 or more runs.

The start given by their new opener, Venkatesh, calmed the nerves. He gave Pat Cummins a four-six jab in the first over, and saved his best for the fourth over delivered by left-arm wristspinner Shivang Kumar. He punished Shivang for two sixes in one over, with a boundary sandwiched in between. Venkatesh fell for a 19-ball 44 but by then RCB had already scored 60 in 4.3 overs.

Even though Virat Kohli (15) failed to leave a mark in the game with the bat, a spunky 21 from No. 3 Devdutt Padikkal ensured RCB stayed on course for 166 even if the chase looked to get out of hand. Sakib Hussain,  who delivered 1 for 31 in four overs, was a major reason why RCB could not push on.

Patidar scored his fourth half-century of the season, staying in from the sixth over to the 19th. His 39-ball 56 included crisp boundaries off Eshan Malinga, Cummins and Harshal Patel, but fell to part-timer Travis Head. Krunal stayed till the end with an unbeaten 41 in 31 balls as RCB finished on a commendable 200 for 4 by the end.

Dropped in the sixth, seventh and eighth overs, Abhishek made full use of the chances RCB’s fielders offered him. On a flat surface with no grass, he did not let purple-cap holder Bhuvneshwar Kumar settle. His early boundaries over the off-side against Bhuvneshwar’s awayswingers moved into his takedown of Suyash Sharma’s googly and Romario Shepherd’s seam-up balls.

Abhishek was finally out in the ninth over, but by then his turbo-charged innings had SRH almost touching triple-digits.

Kishan had three fifties against RCB in his last three outings, and on Friday, he made it four in a row with a 46-ball 79. While Abhishek was going, Kishan took his time to score nine off his first ten balls, but then found his groove.

His best shot of the night was probably the leg-side slog towards the bigger boundary against Krunal in the 11th over, a sign that timing and form continued to be on his side. A sixth 50-plus score for Kishan this season also made IPL 2026 his most prolific as a batter. His sweeps, cuts and pulls allowed SRH to pump 73 runs across overs 11 to 15.

Klaasen’s story was similar, starting off with only five runs in nine balls, but one that was unlocked with his takedown of Josh Hazlewood in the 13th over. One six over cow corner and two more over long-on made Hazlewood leak 27. His effortless loft of Bhuvneshwar over extra cover took him close to yet another landmark, and he brought up his sixth half-century of the season in the 16th over. He fell in the 17th over to a low-arm slinger from Krunal for 52, but not before becoming the first player to cross 600 runs while batting at No. 4 or lower in a T20 tournament.

Nitish Kumar Reddy scored a blazing unbeaten 29 in 12 balls to give SRH a late push. He hit Krunal for two sixes in his first three balls in the crease and then deposited Hazlewood for another.

The late flourish took SRH past 250 while also leaving RCB’s senior seam-bowling pair of Bhuvneshwar and Hazlewood ducking for cover. Hazlewood conceded 55 on the night while Bhuvneshwar leaked 51. They both finished the evening wicketless.

Brief scores:
Sunrisers Hyderabad 255 for 4 in 20 overs (Abhishek  Sharma 56, Travis Head 26,  Ishan Kishan 79, Heinrich  Klaasen 51, Nitish Kumar Reddy 29*; Rasikh Salam 2-52, SuyashSharma 1-36, Krunal Pandya 1-24) beat Royal Challengers Bengaluru 200 for 4 in 20 overs (Venkatesh Iyer 44, Virat Kohli 15, Devdutt Padikkal 21, Rajat Patidar 56,  Krunal Pandya 41*, Tim David 15*; Eshan Malinga 2-33, Sakib Hussain 1-31, Travis Head 1-07) by 55 runs

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Gujarat Titans knock out Chennai Super Kings and seal top-two finish

Published

on

By

Shubman Gill and Co in GT's huddle [Cricinfo]

Chennai Super King’s  (CSK) slim playoff hopes were crushed emphatically by Gujarat Titans [GT] in Ahmedabad on Thursday night as they sealed a top-two spot with an 89-run win.

Sent in to bat on a red-soil surface with pace and bounce, GT went all-in to post 229. Shubman Gill’s 23-ball half-century set it up for late fireworks from B Sai Sudarshan (84 off 53) and Jos Buttler (57 not out off 27).

In reply, CSK’s top five perished inside eight overs before Shivam Dube tonked 47 off 17 to briefly inject life into the chase. His dismissal left the door ajar for GT to knock over the lower order, which they did courtesy Rashid Khan to bowl CSK out in the 14th over.

In the game’s second over, Sanju Samson left the field to nurse a finger injury after Spencer Johnson’s hard-length delivery down the leg side suddenly swerved away after passing the batter. He left the field immediately, and didn’t return for the rest of the innings with Kartik Sharma taking over the wicketkeeping duties. The nature of his on-field injury meant Samson could return to bat in his original position, but he lasted all of one ball, nicking a Mohammed Siraj away-swinger in the very first over.

Having taken a wicket off the first ball in GT’s defense of 230, Siraj then saw Ruturaj Gaikwad loft him through the line over the covers, and then walk across to scoop him for six. In his next over, he saw the CSK captain whip him nonchalantly over the midwicket fence. Siraj, though, remained unperturbed and removed him with a length ball that ducked back in to crash into the stumps. One ball later, he silenced the home fans rooting for local hero Urvil Patel by having him top-edge a flick straight down Prasidh Krishna’s throat at deep backward square leg.

At the start of the ninth, CSK were 72 for 5. It took Dube all of two overs to get the fans excited. Having endured a poor season, he began by thumping left-arm seamer Arshad Khan for 6, 4 and 4 in an over that went for 19. He went into overdrive in the next, thumping Jason Holder’s hard-length delivery over long-on for six. And when Holder went full, Dube’s long levers helped scythe the ball behind square. Overs 8-10 fetched 37. But one ball after launching Rashid over deep midwicket, Dube was out to him when Gill, running back from cover, pulled off a stunner. CSK lost their last four wickets in the next three overs, with Rashid finishing with 3 for 18.

Long before his catching brilliance and the direct hit to run out Kartik, Gill began like a bullet train, surging to a 23-ball half-century to lay down the marker, even as Sai Sudharsan buckled down to play second fiddle. He was run-a-ball for his first 22 deliveries en route to a seventh century stand with Gill – the most by an opening pair in the IPL.

Gill survived on 51 despite feathering an attempted pull with none of the opposition appealing for caught behind. But it didn’t cost CSK a lot as he fell soon after for 64. Once Gill perished, Sai Sudharsan carried on to bring up his fifth consecutive IPL fifty – joining Virender Sehwag, David Warner and Buttler to this feat.

Sudharsan would eventually fall for 84, along the way surpassing Vaibhav Sooryavanshi’s tally to take back the Orange Cap.

Buttler, who came in after Gill’s wicket, launched into the bowling from the get-go. He took particular liking to Noor Ahmad, depositing him deep into the stands to quickly offset a brief slowdown. Amid the carnage from one end, left-arm seamer Gurjanpreet Singh held away, mixing his cutters with wide yorkers to finish with 4-0-31-0, the figures taking a dent only because his final over went for 15.

Buttler too got to his half-century off 23 balls when he scythed two attempted wide yorkers from Anshul Kamboj to the cover boundary. Kamboj went for 56 off his four overs, along the way conceding the most sixes in a single IPL season. It left CSK needing a mammoth 230, which they never looked like challenging on the night.

Brief scores:
Gujarat Titans 229 for 4 in 20 overs (Sai Sudharsan 84, Shubman GIll 64, Jos Buttler 57*;  Mukesh Choudhary 1-36, Spence Johnson 1-47, Anshul Kamboj 1-56) beat Chennai Super Kings 140 in 13.4 overs (Mathew Short 24, Rutraj Gaikwad 16, Kartik Sharma 19, Shivam Dube 47, Anshul Kamboj 19; Rashid Khan 3-18, Mohammed Siraj 3-26, Kagiso Rabada 3-32)  by 89 runs

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Trending