News
Minister Herath: Ongoing SLBFE transfers not politically motivated
Minister of Foreign Employment Vijitha Herath yesterday said the ongoing staff transfers at the Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment (SLBFE) were not politically motivated.
The denial came in response to claims raised by Badulla District MP Chamara Sampath Dassanayake, who questioned the sudden transfers of SLBFE employees—many of whom hail from the Badulla District. He noted that the Foreign Employment Ministry had historically been held by ministers from Badulla and that a significant number of the bureau’s employees were appointed from the region, some through political channels.
“Now, an employee from Hali-Ella has been transferred to Jaffna, and one from Jaffna to Hali-Ella. These transfers must be handled reasonably,” Dassanayake said, urging the minister to ensure employees are relocated to areas where they can access suitable accommodation and continue their service effectively.
In reply, Minister Herath pointed out that the MP’s own remarks highlighted the legacy of political appointments within the SLBFE. He said investigations into these appointments are underway.
“People serving in the same role, in the same place, for years has become a concern,” the minister explained. “Such stagnation often opens the door to irregular transactions and corruption. That’s why a transfer mechanism has been introduced.”
Herath emphasised that the transfers are part of a broader restructuring to ensure efficiency and transparency within the institution. “There is no political involvement here. This is not an act of vengeance. These are routine transfers meant to maintain institutional integrity,” he said.
Latest News
Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years
A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.
Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.
It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.
Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.
His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.
Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.
(PMD)
News
ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.
Latest News
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).
The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.
During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News7 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
