Connect with us

Sports

McLaughlin breaks world 400m hurdles record with 51.41 at US Championships 

Published

on

Sydney McLaughlin does not race often, but she produces memorable performances whenever she does step on the track. Running a sizzling world record of 51.41* in the women’s 400m hurdles on a hot afternoon at the US Championships on Saturday (25), McLaughlin has now set world records in three of her past four 400m hurdles finals.

Clearing the hurdles effortlessly and with no one pressing her, McLaughlin broke her own record of 51.46 from the Tokyo Olympics, where she captured the gold medal. McLaughlin set her first world record of 51.90 on this same track, Hayward Field in Eugene, during last year’s US Olympic Trials and will return here next month for the World Athletics Championships Oregon22.

“I knew it was going to be fast,” McLaughlin said. “I looked at the time and I was really happy with it – being able to slowly progress towards lower and lower times – and I think there’s still things I could work on. I think there’s a little bit more in the tank there, so hopefully when it’s time we can just empty it completely.”

Before the three rounds of the US Championships, McLaughlin had run only twice this season: one 100m hurdles race and one 400m hurdles race, in which she clocked a world-leading 51.61 with one of the hurdles placed in the wrong position. She then withdrew from the World Athletics Continental Tour Gold meeting in New York two weeks ago to focus on the National Championships.

McLaughlin had a lead of about six metres entering the home straight and that margin had grown significantly by the time she reached the finish. NCAA champion Britton Wilson ran a PB of 53.08 for second and Shamier Little, the 2015 world silver medallist who missed the US Olympic team last year by one spot, was third with a season’s best of 53.92.

McLaughlin was the world silver medallist in 2019 behind former world record-holder Dalilah Muhammad, who has a wildcard entry to the World Championships as defending champion and did not compete at the US Championships. They will likely face off next month, where McLaughlin said, “we want to put on a show for the world.”

Norman rewrites Hayward Field record Michael Norman posted a world-leading time of 43.56 to win the men’s 400m, besting his own 43.60 from the Prefontaine Classic in May on the same track. He now owns the three fastest times at Hayward Field, having also run 43.61 in 2018. Champion Allison nearly lived up to his name, finishing second with a PB of 43.70 while challenging Norman, who had to dig deep to pull away on the final stretch. Randolph Ross was third in 44.17.

Norman has run only six races this season. “I think I’m in a pretty good place,” he said. “I know I’m in really good shape. I’m excited to go back and dissect the race and figure out what areas I need to fine tune. I know it was nowhere near a perfect race.”

Norman will be seeking his first individual medal at a World Championships or Olympic Games, having finished fifth in Tokyo and failing to reach the final in Doha in 2019. “It does give me a little bit more comfort knowing that I’ve gone through the process and know what the experience is like,” he said. “I just want a different outcome.”

Diggs digs deep

Talitha Diggs, daughter of four-time Olympian Joetta Clark and niece of world and Olympic 800m finalist Hazel Clark, won the 400m in 50.22 to make her first national team. Olympic 4x400m gold medallists Kendall Ellis and Lynna Irby were second (50.35) and third (50.67) respectively.

“To see my mom and my aunt win so many of these titles, for me to get my own is a blessing,” said Diggs, who is the only US woman to break 50 seconds this season with a 49.99 for fourth on the world list.

Allyson Felix put herself in the frame for relay consideration for what would be her 10th World Championships team by placing sixth in 51.24.This is the farewell season for the 36-year-old, who made her first appearance at a senior US Championships 21 years ago.

“I’m happy I have no more open 400s ever in life,” Felix said with a laugh. “I wanted to come here, put myself in a position to be considered for one of the relays, so I can’t be upset. I’m grateful for all of the memories and happy I did it one more time.”

Felix is the most decorated US track and field athlete and has 13 World Championships gold medals, three silvers and two bronzes.

Harrison holds off Johnson The 100m hurdles had the closest finish of the day, with Keni Harrison out-leaning Alaysha Johnson at the tape. Harrison, the world record-holder and Olympic silver medallist, clocked a season’s best of 12.34 to Johnson’s PB of 12.35. Alia Armstrong was third at 12.47.Nia Ali, the world champion who is coming back from maternity leave, ran 12.49 in the semis and then withdrew because she has a wildcard entry for the World Championships.

In the upset of the day, Maggie Malone, the US record-holder and world leader in the women’s javelin, was eliminated after three straight fouls. The Olympic finalist put her hands to her head in distress after her third toss was wide right.Kara Winger won the event with a season’s best of 64.26m for her ninth national title going back to 2008.

Two-time Olympic finalist Keturah Orji leaped 14.79m to win her sixth US crown in the women’s triple jump, putting her second on the world list this season. The only better marks in US history are Orji’s US record of 14.92m from 2021 and Tori Franklin’s 14.84m from 2018.Franklin was second with a season’s best of 14.59m and NCAA champion Jasmine Moore was third with 14.15m.World and Olympic finalist Hillary Bor pulled away to win his third US steeplechase title while US record-holder Evan Jager proved that he is back after a hard four years full of injuries.

Bor’s winning time was 8:15.76, followed by Jager at 8:17.29 and Benard Keter at 8:19.16.

“I’m glad he made the team,” Bor said of Jager. “I’m happy for him now, more than me.”

Jager, the 2016 Olympic silver medallist, was one of the top steeplechasers in the world between 2012 and 2018.

“It’s been a real hard long journey to build back my body and my confidence,” he said. “I definitely haven’t felt like myself this last season steepling. I’m really proud of myself being able to get back here and making the team.”

Daniel Haugh became the sixth US man to throw beyond 80 metres in the hammer, winning the title with 80.18m and beating continental record-holder Rudy Winkler in the process.Cooper Teare, who is known more as a 5000m runner, won a strategic men’s 1500m in 3:45.86 while Sinclaire Johnson won the women’s 1500m in 4:03.29.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

New ownership group takes over Colombo Kaps in LPL

Published

on

By

The LPL will run from July 7 to August 8 this season [Cricbuzz]
The Colombo Kaps franchise, formerly known as Colombo Strikers, in the Lanka Premier League (LPL) have new owners. LPL organisers IPG Global, on Tuesday (May 19), announced that the franchise will come under the ownership of Witness Sports Alliance LLC, led by Saranyan Palaniswamy and KC Shyam Kangayan.

Murfad Mustafa, a Dubai-based businessman from Kannur, Kerala, connected to the Faza Group, were the previous owners of the franchise.

The announcement comes ahead of LPL Season 6 which runs from July 7 to August 8. As part of its early squad strategy, Colombo Kaps have pre-signed Sri Lanka wicketkeeper-batter Kusal Mendis and all-rounder Kamindu Mendis, giving the franchise a strong local foundation ahead of the upcoming season.

Welcoming the new ownership, LPL director Samantha Dodanwela said, “Sri Lanka Cricket welcomes Witness Sports Alliance LLC as the new ownership group of Colombo Kaps for Lanka Premier League Season 6. Colombo is an important cricketing centre, and we are pleased to see committed owners stepping forward to support the continued growth of the league.”

IPG Global Founder and Chairman Anil Mohan said, “Colombo Kaps adds further strength and excitement to the LPL. With committed ownership and strong local players already in place, the franchise is well positioned to build a competitive team and contribute to a season focused on high-quality cricket, fan engagement and commercial opportunity.”

The new owners stated that their focus will be on building a disciplined and modern franchise that connects with fans, supports Sri Lankan cricket and creates long-term value within the LPL ecosystem.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Rizwan and Agha resist but Bangladesh on course for 2-0 sweep

Published

on

By

Mohammad Rizwan went to stumps on the fourth day unbeaten on 75 off 134 [Cricinfo]

It’s taking longer than most expected, but Bangladesh are inevitably moving towards history. Bangladesh and Pakistan will go into a fifth day in Sylhet, with Bangladesh on the cusp of another 2-0 clean sweep of Pakistan. They need just three wickets to get there, with Mohammed Rizwan, unbeaten on 75, the final, valiant point of resistance for a visiting side who still need an improbable 121 for victory.

It was thanks primarily to Rizwan, and his 134-run partnership with Salman Agha in the final session, that kept Bangladesh waiting for so long when they appeared to be on course to finish Pakistan off. But two crucial wickets from Taijul Islam – who bowled more than a third of the overs on Tuesday – in the final half hour saw that partnership broken, and the hosts burrow deep into Pakistan’s tail.

Rizwan and Agha got together off the back of three quick wickets, and a resurgent Bangladesh sniffing for a quick knockout. Instead, they held them at bay for over three hours, counterattacking early on before seeing off wave after wave of spin and seam from Bangladesh. Even as Bangladesh attacked with the field, the duo kept run-scoring front and centre of their survival strategy, using their feet against spin and timing the ball expertly when pace returned.

That the stand had begun to frustrate Bangladesh became evident when tempers flared in the final hour, with Litton Das taking exception to Rizwan slowing play down after disturbances from the sightscreen. The contest took on a distinct edge, but the Pakistan pair did not lose focus, inching their way towards stumps.

No more wickets might have given Bangladesh a sleepless night, but Taijul put them at ease. With Nahid Rana operating with a new ball from the other end, Taijul produced an arm delivery that skidded through Agha’s defences and knocked back his stumps, prompting wild celebrations from the hosts, who understood the importance of the moment. Hasan Ali, whom Rizwan curiously decided against shielding from the strike, posed little resistance, leaving Bangladesh just three wickets adrift.

Brief scores:
Pakistan 232 and 316 for 7 (Shan Masood 71, Babar Azam 47, Salman Agha 71, Mohammad Rizwan 75*;   Taijul Islam 4-113, Nahid Rana 2-58)  need another 121 runs to beat Bangladesh 278 and 390

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

ICC deputy chair has ‘cordial and constructive’ meetings with new SLC committee

Published

on

By

Sri Lanka Cricket’s new transformation committee has had “cordial and constructive” discussions with Imran Khwaja, the ICC’s deputy chair, according to a member of the new SLC committee.

Khwaja had been in Ari Lanka over the last few days to gather information as the ICC decides what its response to the sweeping government-led changes at SLC should be. During the course of that visit, Khwaja not only spoke with members of SLC’s transformation committee, but also met with Sri Lanka’s president Anura Kumara Dissanayake, whose government had installed the committee after ousting the previous board.

Sidath Wettimuny one of the committee’s nine members, said SLC’s new administrators were hopeful the ICC would continue to treat the board as a regular Full Member.

But the ICC has a track record of reprimanding SLC because of perceived government interference. In 2023, SLC was suspended over “extensive government interference” and, in 2015, the ICC had also frozen payments over a previous “interim committee” having been appointed by the then government.

This current committee, however, has said its goals were to replace SLC’s archaic constitution, before making way for a new set of elected officials.

The ICC has so far made no comments on the change of administration at SLC.

The committee, formally unveiled on April 30, has nine members, including Kumar Sangakkara, Wettimuny and Roshan Mahanama. The majority of the members, though, hail from corporate, legal, and political spheres, with former member of parliament Eran Wickramaratne appointed as chair.

“Our immediate priority is a total overhaul of the governance framework at SLC,” Wettimuny had said after the committee members were named. “The cornerstone of this effort will be the implementation of the new constitution, ensuring it serves as a robust, modern foundation for the sport.”

The committee’s second priority would be to ensure “excellence on the field,” Wickramaratne had said. “We will focus on establishing the structures, world-class facilities, and incentive models necessary to empower our national teams. Our goal is to enable our players to consistently deliver world-class performances and elevate Sri Lanka back to the top tier of international rankings.”

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Trending