News
Labour Minister explains difficulties in bringing back Lankan migrant workers

By Saman Indrajith
The government could not dispatch 10 or more aircraft and bring home Lankan migrant workers stranded overseas though it was desirous of doing so because it had to follow international procedures, Labour Minister Nimal Siripala De Silva told Parliament yesterday.
The Minister said that flights and their crew members were required to abide by various laws, regulations and quarantine processes each airport had put in place in view of the prevailing pandemic.
“You just cannot send the required number of planes and bring them home as you wish. There are different regulations as per the different airspaces of different countries. We cannot violate those rules. In addition, there are issues pertaining to the cost of tickets and finding space for quarantine too should be taken into consideration though they are not big issues. The Lankan migrant workers would be brought home gradually as decided by the National Operations Centre for Prevention of COVID-19 Outbreak (NOPCO).”
Answering a question raised by Badulla District SJB MP Chaminda Wijesiri, the Minister said that the decisions pertaining to bringing back migrant workers home were taken by the NOPCO.
Minister De Silva said that as at Nov 13, there had been 816,433 Lankan migrant workers, and they were provided with dry rations, face masks and sanitisers and temporary shelter with the help of Lankan Embassies and High Commissions.
Minister De Silva said that 102 Lankan migrant workers had sought the assistance of the Foreign Employment Bureau (FEB) to obtain tickets and medical assistance because of COVID-19 infections and the Insurance Corporation had so far approved 49 cheques amounting to Rs 2,388,228 for them.
The Minister said that if a Lankan worker registered at the FEB died of COVID-19, the bureau would intervene to get compensation to the family members of the victim migrant worker. So far, 68 such registered Lankan workers had died abroad due to COVID-19 and they had been cremated in the countries where they died. In addition, six Sri Lankan migrant workers whose registration with FEB had expired had died abroad due to the pandemic and their dependents had applied for compensation. Family members of one of those six had been paid Rs 300,000 by the Employees Provident Fund.
The Labour Minister said that as at 13 Nov. 13,181 Lankan migrant workers had returned home because of the pandemic and the FEB had computerised the records of 6,667 of them so far. Out of them 2,163 were planning to return to their work places while 1,617 intended to work in Sri Lanka; 654 would opt for self-employment, 64 had decided to undergo further training and 2,159 had decided to do various other things.
News
PM strengthens vocational education and economic ties with Germany

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya visited Hamburg, Germany, focusing on strengthening vocational education and economic partnerships between the two nations. During her visit, she participated in the 102nd East Asia Friendship Dinner, met with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and engaged in high-level discussions on investment, education, and economic reforms.
As a Guest of Honour at the German Asia-Pacific Business Association (OAV) annual gathering, Prime Minister Amarasuriya addressed an audience of business leaders and dignitaries, emphasizing Sri Lanka’s economic recovery and its potential as a growing investment destination. She highlighted the contributions of over 160 German companies in Sri Lanka and invited further collaboration in trade and business.
In her capacity as the Minister of Education, Higher Education, and Vocational Education, the Prime Minister delivered a keynote speech at the ’German-Asian Forum on Vocational Education & Training.’ She acknowledged Germany’s decades-long support in Sri Lanka’s vocational education sector and stressed the importance of modernizing vocational training to align with industry demands. Additionally, she visited ITECH vocational school and German research hubs such as NXP Semiconductors and DESY, discussing collaboration in IT and technology-driven industries.
During her discussions with President Steinmeier, Prime Minister Amarasuriya reiterated Sri Lanka’s commitment to economic stability, social protection, and national unity. She also attended a business roundtable, where she engaged with German companies and government representatives on economic expansion, digitalization, and sustainable development initiatives.
The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s Ambassador to Germany, Varuni Muthukumarana, and senior embassy officials.
[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
News
IGP under pressure to probe latest custodial death

Attorney-at-Law Senaka Perera on behalf of the Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners (Guarantee) Limited has asked Acting IGP Priyantha Weerasooriya to inquire into the death of Sathsara Nimesh soon after he was admitted to the Mulleriyawa mental hospital by Welikada police on the night of April 1.
In a letter dated April 3 addressed to the IGP, the lawyer said that the victim’s mother Lekamwasam Liyanage Samanthi, who visited Welikada police station the following day, thad been old that her son made a bid to commit suicide at the police station. Quoting the victim’s mother the lawyer said that the clothes worn by Nimesh at the time he was taken into custody by Welikada police were found within the premises.
Responding to queries, the human rights activist said that Nimesh had been caught by a group of people at Nawala road, Welikada around 7.30 pm-8 pm on April 1. Alleging that Nimesh who had been undergoing training at a private hospital as a caregiver was acting suspiciously, the group called in the police on 119 emergency line and handed him over to the police, Perera said, urging the IGP to ensure that the police followed laid out procedures when dealing with suspects.
The Attorney-at-law said that the victim’s mother had visited Mulleriyawa hospital and was able to speak with a doctor who had been present at the time Nimesh was brought there. The doctor had told her that her son was barely alive at the time he was brought in. Perera alleged that Welikada police made an attempt to allude that Nimesh was mentally unsound. If the police had been genuinely concerned about Nimesh in case he was experiencing sudden difficulty, they should have rushed him to the National Hospital, Perera said.
Acknowledging the need to deal firmly with those who are on the wrong side of the law, the rights group said that the police couldn’t adopt Gestapo-style strategies.
The National People’s Power (NPP) government couldn’t turn a blind eye to what was going on regardless of the change of government in last Sept. There had been at least two recent deaths in police custody, Perera said, referring to an incident in the Kotahena police area in the third week of February this year.
Police shot dead two persons arrested over the killing of Shashi Kumar in a mobile phone shop at Kotahena. Police claimed that law enforcement men had to open fire when the suspects made an attempt to grab a weapon from an officer while being taken to a hideout to recover hidden guns.
Lawyer Perera said that police should be ashamed to repeat a blatant lie often used by them though they knew no one accepted that.
Political parties represented in parliament should take up this matter vigorously, he said, urging the government to put an end to custodial deaths, he said. The lawyer pointed out that the Supreme Court, too, has intervened in the matter and the issue was taken up at the highest level.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
News
FSP calls proposed defence pact with India betrayal

The Frontline Socialist Party (FSP) says that if JVP’s pioneer leader Rohana Wijeweera had been alive today, he, too, would have joined the FSP in opposing the proposed defence agreement between Sri Lanka and India, calling it a serious betrayal of the nation’s interests.
Duminda Nagamuwa, Propaganda Secretary of the FSP, told the media that the JVP-led NPP government was reportedly planning to sign the agreement.Speaking to the media, Nagamuwa said there was lack of transparency surrounding the proposed accord, which had already drawn the attention of Indian experts.
“These experts have termed the agreement as the most significant between the two countries since the Indo-Lanka Peace Accord of 1987, Nagamuwa said.
“Cabinet Spokesman Minister Nalinda Jayatissa recently revealed that a number of agreements involving defence, energy, health, and digitalisation are set to be signed during Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s upcoming visit to Sri Lanka. Foreign Minister Wijitha Herath had previously stated that agreements would be signed covering six key areas, but details of these agreements have not been disclosed to the public,” Nagamuwa said.
“We call upon the people of this country to realise the dangers lurking in these agreements. If the government keeps the people in the dark about their contents, they will be illegitimate.”
He said those agreements had not been presented to Parliament for approval. That marked a troubling continuation of a trend where previous agreements have been signed without proper public discourse or parliamentary scrutiny, he said.
Nagamuwa said that the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the proposed accord had been signed by former President Ranil Wickremesinghe in 2023, and that the JVP/NPP was now proposing the same deal. “If Ranil Wickremesinghe had tried to sign this accord, the people would have taken to the streets in protest. But now, this government is pushing the same agreement forward,” he said.
Nagamuwa appealed to the public to closely observe the processes leading up to the signing of the accord. “We believe that this agreement will have serious implications for the country’s national security. If Comrade Wijeweera were alive today, he too would stand with us in opposing this government’s betrayal of our national interests,” he said.
-
Sports5 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News4 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
News6 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Sports1 day ago
To play or not to play is Richmond’s decision
-
News5 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Features5 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Features5 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know
-
Latest News3 days ago
IPL 2025: Rookies Ashwani and Rickelton lead Mumbai Indians to first win