Connect with us

News

Karu calls for unity in fighting grave problems now confronting the country

Published

on

The serious challenge facing our country due to the Covid-19 pandemic should not be underestimated by anybody. The government must recognize its responsibility and give maximum attention to the health of the people focusing on their well being as well as possible economic challenges in the face of the epidemic, Mr. Karu Jayasuriya, Chairman of the National Movement for Social Justice said in a statement issued last week.

He said health officials and epidemiologists in the country have warned that the pandemic is spreading rapidly. Given the current plight of our neighboring ally India in particular, taking all possible measures to prevent such an eventuality here must be the top priority of the relevant authorities.

“We have arrived at a juncture when the vaccination process needs to be effectively activated to ensure the safety for our 21 million citizens. According to health authorities, we as a country currently have a mere 300,000 doses of vaccine. At a time when nearly 900,000 people who were given the first dose need to be given the second, it is very clear that the number of doses we have at present is not adequate.

“The government needs to address this urgently and take necessary action. At the same time, all measures need to be taken to provide adequate facilities to the hospital system to cope with any situation that may arise. We hope this will happen.

“At the same time, it is the responsibility of all parties to work together as a nation to overcome these challenges without any racial, religious and political divisions. That is the absolute duty of the whole country. The ruling party and the state leadership should be the first to set the example.

“The first step towards this is to stop all forms of political revenge and extend the hand of friendship to all. However, despite the need to create such an environment, certain events taking place in the country cause a deep sense of sadness. One example is the recent summoning by the police and questioning for nearly five hours of the sister of MP Harin Fernando who is being treated in hospital following surgery.

“This can never be considered a moral act. It is a violation of human rights. A similar situation exists with regard to Rishad Bathiudeen. He has been arrested and released on several previous occasions. In the context of the report of the Presidential Commission into the Easter attacks, where no specific charges have been made against him, it is the responsibility of the relevant authorities to provide an opportunity for a fair trial by prosecuting him immediately if there are reasonable grounds to charge him at this moment in time.

“The unconventional nature of the arrest is not satisfactory. It should be clarified why such an action was taken at 2 a.m. without informing the Speaker. It is clearly an insult to Parliament and the Speaker. Such foolish acts undermine the good done by the security forces and the judiciary in combating terrorism and arouses suspicion.

“We responsibly urge all parties in this country not to combine narrow political motives with the investigation and legal actions related to serious crimes committed in this country including the Easter attack.

“We also call for immediate action to be taken for the benefit of our people and country by paying proper attention to the health and safety of the people and their livelihoods. When we are united as one we can face any challenge. His Excellency the President should take the lead in this. That is how ruined countries are rebuilt.”



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]

Published

on

By

The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.

It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas  pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard

Continue Reading

News

Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide

Published

on

Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.

The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.

In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.

Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.

In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.

The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.

Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.

by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva

Continue Reading

News

Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals

Published

on

Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.

The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.

Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.

According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.

Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.

Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.

Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.

The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.

by Norman Palihawadane

Continue Reading

Trending