Connect with us

News

Governor Muzammil resigns, pledges support to Sajith

Published

on

A J M Muzammil

By SHIHAR ANEEZ

ECONOMYNEXT –Uva Provincial Governor A J M Muzammil resigned his post as the representative of the country’s President and pledged his support to opposition leader Sajith Premadasa, sources said.His resignation and backing to Premadasa come 16 days ahead of the presidential poll scheduled for September 21.

Analysts see no presidential candidate winning 50 percent in the poll.

Muzammil was appointed as the Governor of the Uva province in August 2020 by the previous Sri Lankan leader Gotabaya Rajapaksa.

The 75-year old former Mayor of the Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) continued as the governor under the current President Ranil Wickremesinghe after Rajapaksa fled the country and resigned in July 2022 amid mass protests and economic crisis.

“I hereby record my disappointment in certain Governors who have been vociferously campaigning for various Presidential Candidates whilst holding the office of Governor,” Muzammil said in his resignation letter to President Wickremesinghe.

“I wish to inform Your Excellency that, after my resignation, I intend to support Presidential Candidate Hon. Sajith Premadasa.”

Before his resignation, he met Santosh Jha, Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka at India House, the official residence of the Indian High Commissioner.

“The meeting was facilitated at the request of the Governor,” an Indian High Commission official told EconomyNext.

“It is one of the regular meetings on political dialogue and bilateral relations,” the official said, adding that India has nothing to do with Muzammil’s resignation and his pledge to back Premadasa.

Muzammil has switched his political alliance in the past to cross ruling parties befor being appointed to plum posts.

The latest backing by Muzammil for opposition leader Premadasa comes four days after Sri Lanka’s main Tamil party Illankai Tamil Arasu Kachchi (ITAK) decided to support him at the upcoming Presidential Election.

The ITAK’s decision came after its meeting with India’a National Security Advisor Ajit Doval last week.

The Sunday Times reported that Doval during the meeting has said that the Tamil legislators should not “waste the votes of the Tamil people” and try to negotiate with a candidate who could win and secure the aspirations of the Tamil people through talks.

India has not openly pledged its support to any presidential candidates. Doval during his visit met top four candidates: President Wickremesinghe, Premadasa, Marxists Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna leader Anura Kumara Dissanayaka, and former President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s son, Namal.

India had been long negotiating for some renewable power plants, land connectivity, port deals, and energy pipe connectivity with Sri Lanka, but many of them have yet to be signed under Rajapaksa and Wickremesinghe.India has also raised concerns over Chinese vessels being allowed to do research in the sea bed citing security issues for the Indian Ocean region.



News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

News

Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected

Published

on

Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.

DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..

One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.

The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.

The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.

Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.

Continue Reading

Trending