News
Gota denies Channel 4 allegations
Former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa on Thursday ( 07) denied allegations made against him in a documentary on the Easter Sunday attacks by Britain’s Channel 4.Issuing a statement, he said that the documentary is an anti-Rajapaksa tirade and a bundle of lies
Full text of Rajapaksa’s statement:
“The central allegation made in the latest film on Sri Lanka broadcast by Channel 4 is that the Easter Sunday suicide bombings of 21 April 2019 carried out by Islamic extremists had been deliberately facilitated in order to create the conditions to get me elected to power in November 2019.
“This charge hinges on claims made by one Hanzeer Azad Maulana, an applicant for political asylum in Europe, that he had introduced Maj General Suresh Sallay (who is best known for his past role as the Director of Military Intelligence) to the principal suicide bomber Zaharan and his brother Zainee Moulavi in February 2018.
Maj Gen Sallay has been described as one of my loyalists. However, he is a career military officer who has served under many Presidents and all military officers are loyal to the State and not to private individuals. I too was a former army officer, and like him, I too served under different governments. After leaving the position of Defence Secretary in 2015 and until I was elected President, Maj Gen Sallay and I had no contact at all.
“Maj Gen Sallay had informed Chanel 4 that he had been removed from the position of Director of Military Intelligence and was serving in Malaysia as Minister-Counsellor from 2016 to December 2018 and that he had not been in Sri Lanka at the time this meeting is said to have taken place.
“Furthermore, from January to November 2019 he was in India following the National Defence College course and during this entire period from 2016 to 2019, he was not operative within the defence or security structure of Sri Lanka. After Maj. Gen. Sallay was removed from Military Intelligence in 2016, he never served in that organisation again. It was only after I became President that he rejoined the intelligence apparatus as the head of the State Intelligence Service from December 2019 onwards. Hence, this story about Maj Gen Sallay meeting the suicide bombers in February 2018 is clearly a fabrication.
“In order to bolster their claim that Military Intelligence was in league with the suicide bombers, the film alleges that when the police started investigating the Vavunativu incident of 30 November 2018 where two policemen were killed and their weapons stolen, and the discovery of explosives at the theWanathawilluwa safe house on 16 January 2019, the Military Intelligence had sabotaged the police investigations. All Sri Lankans are aware that the government of 2015-2019 persecuted the intelligence services personnel and particularly those in Military Intelligence and that that quite a few of its members spent months and years in remand and in police custody during that period. Hence any claim that the Military Intelligence could sabotage police work during the 2015 – 2019 government, is sheer nonsense.
“The Presidential Commission of Inquiry into the Easter Sunday bombings has stated quite clearly that signs of a Muslim extremist build-up were ignored by the government of 2015-2019. They stated that the revelation made by the then Justice Minister Wijedasa Rajapakshe on 18 November 2016 that 32 Sri Lankans had gone to Syria and joined the ISIS terrorist group and that foreign Islamic preachers were coming to Sri Lanka to propagate extremist teachings had been ignored. The Easter Sunday suicide bombers had held training camps from 23 to 25 March 2018 at a guest house in Lewella and more gatherings had been held in April and May 2018 at a guest house in Nuwara Eliya all of which had been reported to the police but had not been investigated.
R”ilwan, the brother of Zaharan Hashimwas seriously injured whilst experimenting with explosives in Kattankuddy in the early hours of 27 August 2018. Apart from the Vavunativu and Wanathavilluwa incidents referred to earlier, there had been the vandalising of Buddha statues in Mawanella in late December 2018 as well. As the Presidential Commission observed, the proper investigation of any one of these early incidents would have led to the early apprehension of the terrorists and the prevention of the suicide bombings.
It was the police and not Military Intelligence that was in charge of these investigations. Apart from the fact that I was not in power during this entire period, like many members of the intelligence services and armed forces, I too was going from one police unit to another and from one courthouse to another from 2015 till I became President in November 2019 as a result of relentless government persecution.
“One of the allegations made against me and my government in this latest film is that after becoming president, I ‘sabotaged’ the investigation by transferring officers carrying out the investigation. I assume that this is a reference to the former director of the CID Shani Abeysekera. Leaked telephone recordings had revealed that he had conspired with a politician to influence the outcome of an ongoing criminal case in the High Court, and he could not be kept in a position of responsibility in the CID under any circumstances by any government.
The police officers attached to the Presidential Commission to investigate the Easter Sunday attacks were not transferred after I came into power. In any case, there was a gap of nearly seven months between the Easter Sunday attacks and my coming into power, and investigations should have been carried out during that period. SSP Abeysekera was also one of those responsible for the negligence between 2016 and 2019 mentioned in the Presidential Commission’s report.
Channel 4 states that when the report of the Presidential Commission to investigate the Easter Sunday Attacks published its report, that I refused to make it public. That is an outright lie. Everyone in Sri Lanka knows that it has even been tabled in Parliament.
Last year, when some people started linking me to the Easter Sunday bombings, I instructed Ambassador Mahinda Samarasinghe in Washington to explore the possibility of obtaining FBI/CIA assistance in investigations into the Easter Sunday bombings. On 7 April 2022, Christopher A. Landberg of the Bureau of Counterterrorism, U.S. Department of State wrote to Ambassador Samarasinghe stating the following:
“Thank you for raising with us Sri Lanka’s request for an independent investigation into the Easter Sunday attacks… In the immediate aftermath of the attacks, and continuing to the present day, the U.S. government provided assistance in the investigation and prosecution of those responsible – to the point that the Department of Justice filed a criminal complaint in January 2021 against those deemed responsible for the deaths of U.S. citizens. In light of that, even as we stand ready to continue providing support to your government, it would not make sense for the United States to conduct an additional investigation into the attacks…
In terms of our cooperation on this case, I would like to highlight that the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has worked closely with Sri Lankan law enforcement, and in the week after the attack, deployed approximately 33 personnel to Colombo to assist Sri Lanka’s Criminal Investigation Department with all aspects of their investigation. These efforts included evidence collection, witness and victim interviews, and exploitation of digital devices…”
“In this letter, Landberg also stated that if any additional requests were made by the Sri Lankan Attorney General they would be able to provide support from the two U.S. prosecutors, who were on the ground in Colombo at that time in April 2022. Earlier on 8 January 2021, the US Department of Justice had issued a media release stating among other things, that:
“…three Sri Lankan citizens have been charged with terrorism offenses including conspiring to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization (ISIS)… The men were part of a group of ISIS supporters which called itself ‘ISIS in Sri Lanka’. That group is responsible for the 2019 Easter attacks in the South Asian nation of Sri Lanka, which killed 268 people including five U.S.
citizens, and injured over 500 others… Two days after the attacks. ISIS claimed credit for the terrorist acts, attributing the murders to “Islamic State fighters.”… The criminal case filed on Dec. 11, 2020, in the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles is the result of a nearly two-year investigation by the FBI, which assisted Sri Lankan authorities in the wake of the suicide bombings that targeted Christian churches and luxury hotels frequented by Westerners.”
This latest film by Chanel 4 is mostly an anti-Rajapaksa tirade aimed at blackening the Rajapaksa name from 2005 onwards and is a tissue of lies just like the previous films broadcast by the same Channel. To claim that a group of Islamic extremists launched suicide attacks in order to make me President, is absurd. Despite the politically motivated accusations being made against me by certain individuals, I have personally done everything possible to help the Roman Catholic community when I held government office.
After the war ended, I helped in the restoration and reconstruction of the Madhu Church and the Church in Mullikulam. I also helped facilitate the arrangements to invite His Holiness the Pope to Sri Lanka and I headed the committee formed by the then government to organize the visit. I also played a key role in the construction of the Benedict XVI Catholic Institution of Higher Education in Bolawalana. I worked very closely with His Eminence the Cardinal during that period.”
News
SJB asks govt. to negotiate ‘successor programme’ with IMF urgently
Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa yesterday called on the government to begin negotiations immediately for a successor programme with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), warning that Sri Lanka is not on track to meet reserve targets under the current arrangement.
“I am calling on the government to begin negotiations for a successor IMF programme. Not to renegotiate the existing arrangement. A successor programme, the arrangement that takes effect when this one ends,” Premadasa said in a statement.
Full text of Premadasa’s statement, titled ‘Negotiate Now, While We Still Have Something to Negotiate With’: The numbers are not complicated. Sri Lanka has $7 billion in gross official reserves. The IMF’s own target for when our current programme ends in March 2027 is $14.2 billion. To bridge that gap, we would need to accumulate $600 million in reserves every month for the next twelve months. We are not on track to meet that target.
And yet the government has said nothing about what comes after March 2027. I am calling on the government today to begin negotiations for a successor IMF programme. Not to renegotiate the existing arrangement, which is proceeding.
A successor programme, the arrangement that takes effect when this one ends. What I am proposing is not a retreat from fiscal discipline. It is the opposite.Sri Lanka is not in a position of strength indefinitely.
The rupee has weakened by approximately 14% against the dollar over the past twelve months. Petrol stands at Rs. 410 per litre today close to the Rs. 470 crisis peak of June 2022, reached in just four months from Rs. 294 in January. Our $8.1 billion in annual remittances, depends heavily on continued employment in Gulf states at a moment when the Middle East conflict is reshaping the regional economy. These are not distant risks.
We have had seventeen IMF programmes. Every one of them that involved a genuine crisis was negotiated after the reserves were gone and the rupee was in freefall. Every time, Sri Lanka accepted whatever terms were offered, because it had no other choice.
We have a choice right now. The window to negotiate from relative strength with $7 billion in reserves, a functioning programme, and demonstrated reform credibility. I am asking this government to plan for March 2027 and explain to the country Sri Lanka’s contingency plan when we fail to meet the IMF target.
News
42 ancient paintings missing from National Art Gallery
Minister of Buddhasasana, Religious and Cultural Affairs Hiniduma Sunil Senevi yesterday told Parliament that 42 ancient paintings were missing from the National Art Gallery, and that had been uncovered during a stock verification conducted in 2015.
Responding to a question raised by SJB Colombo District MP Mujibur Rahuman, the Minister said a stock verification board had inspected paintings and sculptures at the gallery in 2015, leading to the discovery of the missing artworks.
According to official records, the stock register listed 281 paintings, but only 239 are currently available at the National Art Gallery.
“The Ministry of Buddhasasana and Religious Affairs Secretary has appointed a committee, which has launched preliminary investigations. The recording of statements has commenced. I have given information to the Police in 2024 and 2025 regarding investigations into the matter,” the Minister said.
The Minister added that investigations were continuing into the disappearance of the paintings while authorities were working to determine the circumstances surrounding the missing artworks.
By Saman Indrajith
News
No electricity tariff hike till September
The government would not seek approval for a further electricity tariff increase from the Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) before September, Minister of Energy Anura Karunathilaka told Parliament yesterday.
The Minister made the statement while responding to a question raised by MP Ravi Karunanayake during the oral questions session in Parliament.
Addressing concerns over the recent appreciation of the US dollar and the impact of the Persian Gulf crisis on global energy prices, Minister Karunathilaka said the direct effect of the latest electricity tariff revision would mainly be felt by consumers using more than 180 electricity units.
He said the government had allocated a subsidy of Rs. 15 billion to ease the burden on other categories of electricity consumers.
The Minister further emphasised that the government currently had no intention of requesting the PUCSL to approve another electricity tariff hike before September.
by Saman Indrajith
-
Features5 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News5 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News5 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features2 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business5 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News1 day agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News5 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
