Connect with us

News

Fuel distributors’ protest: CPC amenable to negotiations

Published

on

D. J. Rajakaruna

Ceylon Petroleum Corporation (CPC) Chairman D. J. Rajakaruna says he is ready to negotiate with fuel distributors who are opposing the calculation of their commissions based on a new formula.However, he warned that any attempt to sabotage fuel distribution would be severely dealt with according to the law.

Speaking to the media, Rajakaruna said that, as of Saturday, fuel dealers across the country had placed a total of 2,924 orders. He said that while some fuel dealers had suspended petroleum distribution in protest against the reduction in dealers’ commission margins, not all dealers were involved in the protest.

By Saturday morning, 1,696 orders had been placed by CPC dealers, 471 from Indian Oil Corporation dealers, 391 from Sinopec dealers, and 366 from RM Park Shell dealers.

Despite the protests, Rajakaruna assured that orders would continue to be processed throughout the week to meet the demand, which had increased due to panic buying.

The protests began after an association of CPC fuel dealers announced that they would stop placing orders following the reduction in their margins. They also stated they would halt providing fuel on credit to state agencies and hospitals, a practice they had maintained for several months.

Rajakaruna said that dealer margins had increased significantly in 2022 due to the economic crisis. When attempts were made to reduce the margin thereafter, dealers had taken matter to court, and had the CPC decision suspended. He noted that the court order had expired, and the CPC had since implemented the new formula to adjust margins, offering higher margins to smaller petrol stations, particularly in far-flung areas with lower business volumes. Additionally, new dealers were granted higher margins for five years to help them recover their capital costs.

However, Rajakaruna emphasized that the CPC was open to further discussions with dealers. He said that the 3% dealer margin set in 2022 included taxes, which had not been the case in previous years.



News

COPA reveals highway robbery in the guise of issuing permits to import EVs

Published

on

Auditor General W.P.C. Wickramaratne speaking during the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA) probe. COPA Chairman MP Aravinda Senarath looks on

A probe by the parliamentary watchdog, the Committee on Public Accounts (COPA), has revealed a significant misuse in the process of issuing licenses to import fully electric vehicles by Sri Lankans working abroad, based on foreign remittances.

The investigation found malpractices, including some importers holding over 600 electric vehicle licenses, as well as licenses being issued to individuals who had not travelled abroad during the relevant period.

The COPA probe, chaired by MP Aravinda Senarath, uncovered evidence that raised suspicions of money laundering in the issuance of licenses.

The Auditor General pointed out that the government lost Rs. 2.42 billion in tax revenue due to an increase in the luxury tax exemption limit for 921 vehicles imported up to September 30, 2024.

The Committee also discussed special audit reports related to a scheme, implemented between May 1, 2022, and September 15, 2023, which granted permits for the importation of fully electric vehicles for Sri Lankans employed abroad, based on foreign remittances.

The Auditor General revealed that 1,077 vehicle permits were issued during this period, of which 77 permits were later cancelled. He also noted that two main institutions acted as importers, providing facilities for 640 permit holders. This suggested that a business had been created under the guise of permit issuance.

Furthermore, due to an increase in the luxury tax exemption threshold, from Rs. 6 million to Rs. 12 million for 921 vehicles imported until September 30, 2024, the Auditor General stated that the government lost tax revenue amounting to Rs. 2.42 billion.

It was also revealed that four individuals, who had not travelled abroad during the relevant period, had been issued electric vehicle permits. Since the circular relevant to this scheme did not specify a minimum duration of overseas employment required for eligibility, individuals, who had been abroad for as little as three days or up to three months, as well as those who travelled intermittently, were granted permits. The Ministry of Labour and Foreign Employment had acted under this scheme before it was revised.

Deputy Ministers Maj Gen (rtd.) Aruna Jayasekera, Nalin Hewage, Sugath Thilakaratne, and MPs Kabir Hashim, Dr. M.L.A.M. Hizbullah, Chandana Sooriyaarachchi, Sagarika Athauda, Oshani Umanga, Dinindu Saman Hennayake, T.K. Jayasundara, Manjula Suraweera Arachchi, Ruwanthilaka Jayakody, Lal Premanath, and several government officials attended the meeting.

by Saman Indrajith

Continue Reading

News

Warning from Bribery boss against making frivolous complaints about political victimisation

Published

on

Director General of the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption, Ranga Dissanayake, says that the abuse of the term “political victimisation” will no longer be tolerated, and those who misuse the term will face strict legal action.

Dissanayake told a media conference held at the CIABOC auditorium: “There is a widespread perception that the law is not effectively enforced in this country. This perception has arisen because, as the President mentioned on Anti-Corruption Day, small fish are caught while the big fish escape. This perception exists for several reasons, including delays in the Bribery or Corruption Investigation Commission’s processes. At times, the public is unaware of the injustices that occur within the Commission.”

Addressing politicians who make public statements, he requested, “I sincerely ask political leaders who issue statements to the media to kindly refer to the Anti-Corruption Act No. 9 of 2023 that you have endorsed. Please refrain from making certain statements without a proper understanding. This law has been enacted independently of any prior connections or influences. I have been in this position since the beginning of this year. The Bribery Commission currently has 31 legal officers, and there is no capacity to recruit additional staff at this time.” He also highlighted the significant challenges faced by the Commission, revealing that approximately 4,000 unresolved case files remain due to limited resources and personnel. “No matter what we do, people will still ask, ‘How many criminals have been caught?’ This situation is the result of limited resources and staff,” he explained. Dissanayake also said: “If anyone is going to claim political victimisation, let them find evidence and prove it. Otherwise, the powers granted by this law will be used against those who make false claims.”

By Pradeep Prasanna

Continue Reading

News

Container declared as office furniture turns out to be Rs 435 bn worth of cigarettes

Published

on

Customs officials took into custody a haul of foreign cigarettes worth over Rs 435 billion while they were being smuggled into the country at the Orugodawatta cargo inspection division.

The cigarettes were found inside a 20-foot container that had been brought into the country from the Jebel Ali port in the United Arab Emirates.

Customs spokesman Additional Customs Director General Sivali Arukgoda said that Customs officers found 2.5 million cigarettes in the container.

The Customs had received information that office furniture was being imported, and upon inspection, it was revealed that cigarettes had been smuggled in illegally.

Arukgoda stated that if these cigarettes had made it past Customs, a significant loss of over Rs. 378 million in duty revenue would have occurred.

Regarding the smuggling of these cigarettes, Arukgoda mentioned that, after taking a statement from a vape clerk, Customs officials are taking steps to apprehend the individual responsible for smuggling this illegal consignment of cigarettes into the country.

Under the supervision of Customs Director General Sarath Nonis, the Customs Revenue Department’s Director Tilak Suraviira, Senior Deputy Director Tissa Dahanayake, Deputy Customs Directors Upul Gonawala, S. Sandagopan, Akila Rupasinghe, Sandun Batagoda, Anushka Kure, and Rakhitha Ariyasena will conduct further investigations.

By Prabhath Withana

Continue Reading

Trending