Connect with us

News

Former Minister of Muslim Religious Affairs tells PCoI he was ignorant about extremism here

Published

on

By Rathindra Kuruwita

 

Former Minister of Muslim Religious Affairs, M. H.A. Haleem yesterday told the PCoI investigating the Easter Sunday attacks that although he had heard about the National Thowheed Jamaat (NTJ) by 2014, he didn’t think it was a violent organisation.

He said so when he was asked by the Counsel representing the Archbishop of Colombo Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith, whether he had been aware of the NTJ during his tenure as Minister. Haleem also said that he didn’t know about Zahran before the Easter Sunday attacks.

Haleem said that he had not known what had happened in Kattankudy until the Easter Sunday attacks.

The lawyer representing Archbishop of Colombo: “There was a clash between the NTJ members and those of Sunnath Wal Jamaat on 10 March 2017 at Aliyar Junction, Kattankudy. Were you not aware of this?”

Haleem: “No. Perhaps local political leaders may have told higher-ups about the threats posed by the NTJ. But I was not informed.”

The lawyer representing Archbishop of Colombo then asked Haleem if he had been aware of a speech made by former Justice Minister, Wijeyadasa Rajapakse about ISIS activities in Sri Lanka. Haleem said that he had spoken to Muslim religious leaders, Muslim intellectuals and even law enforcement agencies but they all had assured him that there was no evidence of ISIS activity in Sri Lanka.

Haleem also said that there were too many mosques and Moulavis in Sri Lanka and added that six months after the establishment of a mosque, the trustees could request registration.

“There are too many mosques and these have also caused issues in the community. Many mosques are unregistered and we don’t know whether they receive foreign funding or what they do. There are also too many moulavis. Some people with Moulavi qualifications are driving three-wheelers.”

The former minister added there was no need to register certain types of religious schools.

A Commissioner asked Haleem about the activities of the Thowheed Jamaat movement and whether it was a problem to inter-communal harmony.

Haleem: “They are also a problem in the Muslim community. They start mosques near other mosques and cause trouble.”

The former minister also said that there should not be any weapons in mosques. He said this responding to a question posed by the Attorney General’s Department representative, who told him that there was evidence that some NTJ members had imported swords from China and distributed them among mosques.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

President inquires into the well-being of soldiers at the Ragama “Ranaviru Sevana”

Published

on

By

President Anura Kumara Dissanayake visited the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre in Ragama this morning (19) and inquired into the well-being of military personnel receiving residential treatment there.

During the visit, the President engaged in cordial discussions with the soldiers and commended the sacrifices made by all of them in safeguarding the unity of the motherland.

Thereafter, President Dissanayake also held discussions with the medical staff, including doctors serving at the “Ranaviru Sevana” Rehabilitation Centre, and looked into the possibility of further improving medical and other welfare facilities available for the military personnel undergoing treatment.

Minister of Science and Technology Professor Chrishantha Abeysena, Deputy Minister of Labour Mahinda Jayasinghe, Secretary to the Ministry of Defence Air Vice Marshal Sampath Thuyacontha (Retired), Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Lasantha Rodrigo, Director of Ranaviru Services and Rehabilitation of the Sri Lanka Army Brigadier R.G.L.K. Weerakoon, and Chairman of the Ranaviru Seva Authority Brigadier Senarath Kohona (Retired) were among those who attended the occasion.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

Trending