Connect with us

News

FBI identified Naufer Moulavi as Easter carnage mastermind – Public Security Minister

Published

on

Hakeem points finger at Israeli Intelligence

By Saman Indrajith

Public Security Minister Rear Admiral (Retd.) Sarath Weerasekara told Parliament yesterday that the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had identified Naufer Moulavi as the mastermind behind the Easter Sunday terror attacks.

Making a special statement to the House in response to a statement by Attorney General Dappula de Livera, Minister Weerasekera said that according to the investigations carried out by the Sri Lanka Police and US detectives, it was clear that Moulavi had masterminded the terror attacks on 21 April, 2019, killing 270 persons and wounding another 500.

 “Naufer is the person who brought the IS ideology to Sri Lanka and roped in Mohamed Zahran in 2016,’ the Minister said, adding that it had been confirmed by the statements given by Zahran’s wife.

Minister Weerasekera said that it was Naufer who carried out IS training programmes in Sri Lanka and evidence from his documents and laptop support that conclusion. It was Moulavi who prepared the curriculum and course content of those IS training programmes. In addition, he supervised the training camps in Nuwara Eliya and Hambantota.

“Moulavi gave his sister-in-law in marriage to Zahran,” said the Minister adding that the FBI investigation also proved Moulavi was the main player in the attacks.

The Minister said it had come to light that several foreigners were involved in the Easter Sunday terrorist attacks and that an Australian national of Sri Lankan origin, Luqman Talib, had already been arrested in Qatar.  Lankan intelligence agencies had uncovered links between Thalib and Al-Qaeda and IS. “Thalib has two sons and one son is already under house arrest in Australia. Sri Lankan forces have also traced four Maldivian suspects who financed the National Organiser of the Jamaat-e-Islami organization, Sadik Abdullah, and provided weapons manufacturing equipment. There is no need to have any doubt over the investigations on the Easter Sunday terror attacks.”

Nine cases had been filed against 32 suspects so far and necessary steps would be taken to file cases against the other suspects as well, the Minister said.

SJB Gampaha District MP Dr Kavinda Jayawardana said Mohamed Naufer, Mohamed Anwar Mohamed Riskan and Ahamed Milhan Hayathu Mohamed had been charged last month in a federal court in Los Angeles. But there were cases against them here yet. “In addition, the Attorney General has mentioned that there is a conspiracy behind these investigations. We as Catholic MPs have a serious problem when people question these statements and developments. We hope that either the Minister of Public Security or the Minister of Justice will explain to this House the actual situation with regard to the investigations.”

SLMC Leader Rauff Hakeem said that there were reports that Israeli intelligence services had a hand behind the Easter Sunday attacks and its mastermind. Facts related to this and that Israeli intelligence connection were mentioned in the report of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry into the Easter Sunday attacks, he added. “Please check these facts and study those reports. There is an innocent poet called Altaf Nazim. He is being held for publishing a poetry book, which contains nothing related to terrorism. Please, get the book translated and see its content. Many international organisations including Amnesty International have written to the government in this regard. Public trust in investigations is eroded when you prosecute innocent people. I also want to say that the case against Hejaaz Hizbullah is totally fabricated. He is held on statements forcibly obtained from children. He is a lawyer and past student of S. Thomas’ College. When you go after the innocent you cannot capture the real culprits.”

Minister Weerasekera: All those who are spaking now were the MPs or Ministers of the Yahapalana government which should be held responsible for the crime of weakening our intelligence and letting this tragic incident happen in spite of warnings. When the SIS recommended the arrest of Zahran in 2018, the then government authorities neglected that. Had Zahran been arrested then nothing of this sort would have happened. Therefore, all those in that government should be held responsible for the crime. There had been 10 incidents prior to the April 21 attacks, but no arrests had been made.

SJB MP Ranjith Madduma Bandara: It is wrong. It was during our government an open warrant for the arrest of Zahran was obtained. The conspirators are in the government.

Minister Weerasekera: MP Hakeem mentioned Hejaaz Hizbullah. The latter was the one who operated the Save the Pearl organisation under which he gave lectures to indoctrinate Muslim youth to the terror outfit. We have evidence of his lectures brainwashing them to make them terrorists. Zahran and Naufer Moulavi too had conducted lectures on suicide attacks to children. Those lectures were organised by Save the Pearl.



News

Matara Festival for the Arts’ inaugurated by the Prime Minister

Published

on

By

The inaugural ceremony of the Matara Festival for the Arts, featuring a wide range of creations by local and international artists, was held on February 19 at the Old High Court premises of the  Matara Fort, under the patronage of Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya.

The festival, centred around the Old High Court premises in Matara and the auditorium of the Matara District Secretariat, will be open to the public from 20 to 23 of February. The festival will be featured by visual art exhibitions, short film screenings, Kala Pola, and a series of workshops conducted by experts.

The inaugural event was attended by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs, Ms. Saroja Paulraj, along with artists, guests, and a large number of schoolchildren.

(Prime Minister’s Media Division)

Continue Reading

News

Only single MP refuses salary as Parliament details pays and allowances

Published

on

SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilake is the only MP to forego salary and allowances, with all payments suspended following his written notification on August 20, 2025.

Only one Member of Parliament has chosen not to receive the salaries and allowances entitled to MPs, Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya revealed in Parliament last Thursday, shedding light on the financial perks enjoyed by members of the Tenth Parliament.

Speaking on Thursday (Feb. 19) in response to a question from SJB Badulla District MP Chaminda Wijesiri, the Prime Minister outlined the full range of pay and allowances provided to parliamentarians.

According to Dr. Amarasuriya, MPs receive a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000, and a driver’s allowance of Rs. 3,500—though MPs provided with a driver through the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs are not eligible for the driver’s allowance.

Additional benefits include a telephone allowance of Rs. 50,000, a transport allowance of Rs. 15,000, and an office allowance of Rs. 100,000. MPs are also paid a daily sitting allowance of Rs. 2,500 for attending parliamentary sessions, with an additional Rs. 2,500 per day for participation in parliamentary sittings and Rs. 2,500 per day as a committee allowance.

Committee meetings held on non-parliament sitting days also attract Rs. 2,500 per day.

Fuel allowances are provided based on the distance between an MP’s electoral district and Parliament. National List MPs are entitled to a monthly allocation equivalent to 419.76 litres of diesel at the market price on the first day of each month.

Despite the comprehensive benefits, only SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilaka has opted not to draw a salary or allowances. Dr. Amarasuriya said that in accordance with a written notification submitted by MP Wasalathilaka on August 20, 2025, payments have been suspended since that date.

The Prime Minister also confirmed that she, along with the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, committee chairs, ministers, deputy ministers, the Opposition Leader, and senior opposition whips, have all informed the Secretary-General of Parliament in writing that they will not claim the fuel allowance.

Challenging the ruling party’s voluntary pledge to forgo salaries, MP Wijesiri pointed out that all MPs except Wasalathilaka continue to receive their salaries and allowances. “On one hand you speak about the people’s mandate, which is good. But the mandate also included people who said they would voluntarily serve in this Parliament without salaries. Today we have been able to prove, Hon. Speaker, that except for one SJB MP, the other 224 Members are drawing parliamentary salaries,” he said.

The Prime Minister responded by defending the political culture and practice of allocating portions of MPs’ salaries to party funds. Referring to previous practices by the JVP and NPP, she said: “It is no secret to the country that the JVP has for a long time not personally taken MPs’ salaries or any allowances. I think the entire country knows that these go to a party fund. That is not new, nor is it something special to mention. The NPP operates in the same way. That too is not new; it is the culture of our political movement.”

When MP Wijesiri posed a supplementary question asking whether diverting salaries to party funds was an indirect method of taking care of MPs, Dr. Amarasuriya said: “There is no issue there. No question was raised; the Member made a statement. What we have seen throughout this week is an inability to understand our political culture and practice, and a clash with decisions taken by political movements that misused public funds. What is coming out is a certain mindset. That is why there is such an effort to find fault with the 159. None of these facts are new to people. He did not ask a question, so I have nothing to answer.”

The disclosures come days after the Government moved to abolish the parliamentary pension, a measure that has sparked renewed debate over MP compensation and the transparency of funds allocation.

Continue Reading

News

Illegal assets of underworld figures frozen since September, Minister tells parliament

Published

on

Wijepala

Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ananda Wijepala on Friday (20) disclosed in Parliament details of properties and assets allegedly acquired through illegal activities by suspects arrested in raids carried out since September last year.

The Minister made the disclosure in response to a question raised by MP Ravindra Bandara, stating that the identified assets have been frozen pending further investigations.

He said the assets include properties belonging to several alleged organised crime figures, among them Mandinu Padmasiri, alias ‘Kehelbaddara Padme’, who was arrested last year.

Listing the assets in the House, the Minister said Hapugoda Arachchige Kankanamge Duminda Dilruk has assets worth Rs. 23 million frozen, including a van, a motorcycle, a house and a roller gate.

In the case of Kandaiya Kalamogan, two motorboats have been identified, although their value has not yet been assessed.

Dilum Tharaka Balasuriya is reported to own a two-storey house situated on 15 perches of land with a face value of Rs. 800,000.

Assets belonging to Mohammad Harish Mohammad and Mohammad Shiyam were frozen on January 21, 2026. While the total value has not yet been assessed, five vehicles were confiscated from the former and a car from the latter.

Wijesuriya Mahaduruge Uditha Iroshan Wijesiri has assets valued at Rs. 5 million, including a lorry, while Indika Pathmakumara’s assets include a cab worth Rs. 2.5 million and a bank account containing Rs. 1 million.

Lahiru Sampath is reported to own a three-wheeler valued at Rs. 1.8 million.

According to the Minister, Hettiarachchige Dona Sriyani Chandralatha possesses a four-storey house and 14.7 perches of land valued at Rs. 60 million.

Mandinu Padmasiri, alias ‘Kehelbaddara Padme’, owns 20 perches of land with partially constructed buildings valued at Rs. 30 million and a half-finished six-room building worth Rs. 20 million, the Minister said.

Patabendi Maddumage Shehan Sathsara, alias ‘Dehi Bale Malli’, has five multi-day fishing trawlers valued at Rs. 200 million and a two-storey house with 15.8 perches of land worth Rs. 50 million.

The Minister further disclosed that Jayasinghege Maduranga Sampath owns a cab worth Rs. 5.4 million, a van valued at Rs. 14.5 million, five bank accounts containing Rs. 73.03 million, another account with Rs. 160,328.88 and USD 544, and Rs. 283 million in cash.

Adhikari Samantha Perera is reported to own 10.10 perches of land valued at Rs. 5 million and one acre and 1.5 perches of land worth Rs. 13 million.The Minister said investigations are continuing in respect of the suspects and the frozen assets.

Continue Reading

Trending